White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-31-2013, 09:58 AM
Foulke You Foulke You is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 9,106
Blog Entries: 1
Default Matt Lindstrom's Option Picked Up

Not sure how I feel about this one. On one hand, it gives us more veteran bullpen depth but it would seem this money might have been better spent on position player needs. Lindstrom's numbers were ok but he seemed to struggle with inherited runners. I would have been ok with them using Daniel Webb or Jake Petricka in the 7th inning right hander role.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...14-option.html

EDIT: I remembered that is possible that the Sox pick up the option and then trade Lindstrom much like they did with Jason Frasor a couple years ago. I'll wait and see how this one plays out before passing judgment.
__________________
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Last edited by Foulke You; 10-31-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-31-2013, 10:24 AM
ohiosoxfan ohiosoxfan is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 247
Post

Lindstrom still throws too well to let him go over $4M. It's not like we are loaded in middle relief. If he is traded, that is OK, too but too valuable to just release at $4M. At this salary level, he certainly has trade value. (By comparison, Thornton would be due $6M by Boston if they exercised his option)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-31-2013, 11:30 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
EDIT: I remembered that is possible that the Sox pick up the option and then trade Lindstrom much like they did with Jason Frasor a couple years ago. I'll wait and see how this one plays out before passing judgment.
That is likely the plan here, I think.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-31-2013, 02:33 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,260
Default

As thin as the White Sox bullpen is, I couldn't imagine management not picking up Lindstom's option.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-31-2013, 05:34 PM
Foulke You Foulke You is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 9,106
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
As thin as the White Sox bullpen is, I couldn't imagine management not picking up Lindstom's option.
Eh, I don't think it is as weak as you think. Jones and Reed are pretty solid and I thought Webb and Petricka did a decent job from the right side last year considering it was their rookie year. Also, there is talk of putting Rienzo in the bullpen if he doesn't win a starter job which would further bolster the pen. I think that ultimately might be the best spot for him since he seems to be more of a two pitch guy. They could definitely use a lefty though. I don't really trust David Purcey in a tight ballgame and Donnie Veal is very inconsistent. Overall though, I do agree that having a veteran like Lindstrom always helps, I just wonder if it precludes them from spending elsewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-31-2013, 06:08 PM
Noneck Noneck is online now
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,224
Default

I mentioned this during the year. Since they didnt trade him at deadline, it only made sense that they planned to pick up option.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-31-2013, 08:09 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,930
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
They could definitely use a lefty though. I don't really trust David Purcey in a tight ballgame and Donnie Veal is very inconsistent. .
If either of those 2 are in the conversation for a bullpen spot, we have a ridiculously thin bullpen.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-31-2013, 08:56 PM
ZombieRob ZombieRob is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Braunfels Texas
Posts: 7,104
Default

Chris Perez released today and interest from the Sox?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-31-2013, 11:01 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Eh, I don't think it is as weak as you think. Jones and Reed are pretty solid and I thought Webb and Petricka did a decent job from the right side last year considering it was their rookie year. Also, there is talk of putting Rienzo in the bullpen if he doesn't win a starter job which would further bolster the pen. I think that ultimately might be the best spot for him since he seems to be more of a two pitch guy. They could definitely use a lefty though. I don't really trust David Purcey in a tight ballgame and Donnie Veal is very inconsistent. Overall though, I do agree that having a veteran like Lindstrom always helps, I just wonder if it precludes them from spending elsewhere.
You might be right, but when you are looking to Reed and Jones for veteran leadership out of the bullpen, I think the bullpen could be thin on experience. There are so many little things that go into building a successful baseball team, and pitching is such a fragile commodity. I think a little more experience like Lindstrom's would mean enough that the Sox should want him back.

It's possible the Sox could find more veteran bullpen help this off-season, and the Sox could find what Lindstrom should bring to the team in a cheaper contract. Relief pitchers are often part of multiplayer deals. But at this point, if you're deciding whether to pick up Lindstrom's option, I think the Sox made the expected decision.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-01-2013, 07:53 AM
cws05champ cws05champ is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Del Boca Vista, Florida
Posts: 3,397
Default

I think this was a no brainer....if he pitches well and the Sox are out of it by the end of June, they could trade him for a prospect and not have to pay his full yearly salary.
__________________

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-01-2013, 07:59 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,176
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
That is likely the plan here, I think.
Yeah, at the very least he'll be gone by July 31 unless the Sox are somehow still in contention
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-01-2013, 11:52 AM
hawkjt hawkjt is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 7,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
I think this was a no brainer....if he pitches well and the Sox are out of it by the end of June, they could trade him for a prospect and not have to pay his full yearly salary.

Agree. Relievers are always in demand, so trading him will be easy..if the Sox are out of it by then.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Foulke You Foulke You is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 9,106
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
If either of those 2 are in the conversation for a bullpen spot, we have a ridiculously thin bullpen.
We are thin on left handers in the bullpen which is a problem shared by at least 20 other MLB teams. I don't think that speaks for the total quality of the pen. It's tough to find solid lefties and I think many Sox fans will grow to appreciate what Matt Thornton brought to the table now that he is gone.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.