White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 05:48 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Rios wasn't nearly as bad as Danks last year, doesn't have major health questions, and is owed $12 million over 1 year whereas Danks is owed more than $40 million over the next 3 seasons. Not very comparable situations.
Maybe he meant back in '09?
Old 10-30-2013, 07:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Santos was a viable closer. We got nothing for him. He got hurt for Toronto - garbage he wasn't. Neither was Quentin nor Jackson, 2 other players Williams gave away.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:20 PM
WSI Prelate

This is pretty much the same speculation that was going around last off-season, even if the off-season hasn't technically begun.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Santos was a viable closer. We got nothing for him. He got hurt for Toronto - garbage he wasn't. Neither was Quentin nor Jackson, 2 other players Williams gave away.
Santos had one solid season as a closer, that's not as valuable as you want to think it is. Quentin was and still is a China doll. Jackson was and still is wildly unpredictable.

It's really unfair to place blame on KW for not getting a lot in return for those guys when they really weren't that valuable to begin with.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

The problem with Jackson wasn't what we got for him. That move was as much a Teahen salary dump as anything. The fact that KW gave up Hudson, injured as he's been, to get him is nothing short of an atrocity.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Sergio Santos, whom KW traded for the great Nestor Molina, pitched awfully well in September. If he stays healthy -- a big "if" -- the trade will go down as undeniably terrible. Santos isn't close to being "nothing" or "garbage."

Plus, I thought RH was considering trading surplus piching for bats. Why would he want more surplus pitching like Romero and Drabek?
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Kenny's reasoning must have been based on having Addison Reed in the pipeline. Plus Sergio fell off the chart in September when he got tired. So what does Addison Reed do in September when he gets tired? (all together) He falls off the chart!

But those numbers for Sergio this September look great. (he wasn't tired)

One has to conclude that Kenny didn't maximize his return from those assets. On field management of the talent has to be blamed as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Santos had one solid season as a closer, that's not as valuable as you want to think it is. Quentin was and still is a China doll. Jackson was and still is wildly unpredictable.

It's really unfair to place blame on KW for not getting a lot in return for those guys when they really weren't that valuable to begin with.
I can't remember the guy's name, but the Sox hired away the Jays Latin America scout. The player this scout has the Sox go after turns to crap is not very encouraging to me, scary actually. Regardless of what you think of Santos, it is at the least discouraging that the very first move made on the basis of this new Latin scout turns out so poorly. On top of it, this was a player from this scouts previous employer. You'd think the scout would have hit a HR.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 10-30-2013, 09:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Semien should have to have a big part for next year. I don't think that they will get a top prospect, but they can get something for Beckham.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:28 PM
WSI High Priest

As far as Molina goes, there were legitimate concerns about his stuff not being good enough to get high level hitters out. He seemed to improve once he got booted to the pen. There was also the fact he was hurt. We'll have to see how he does next year.

Last edited by SoxSpeed22; 10-30-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:29 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
I can't remember the guy's name, but the Sox hired away the Jays Latin America scout. The player this scout has the Sox go after turns to crap is not very encouraging to me, scary actually. Regardless of what you think of Santos, it is at the least discouraging that the very first move made on the basis of this new Latin scout turns out so poorly. On top of it, this was a player from this scouts previous employer. You'd think the scout would have hit a HR.
Marco Paddy. Here's the final segment of the lengthy SSS series on the Sox in Latin America.

http://www.southsidesox.com/minors/2...-back-on-track
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:06 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
What's with the fascination with Ellsbury? When he's healthy he's awesome and might be the best leadoff hitter in the game. But he just turned 30, he does have health issues, and he's going to get a 5-7 year deal that pays him $15 - $20 million a year. No thanks. I don't want the Sox signing any more guys over 30 to long term deals.

I want no part of Ellsbury. It would be one thing if he were 26. He's not. He's 30. He's got maybe two prime years left. A rebuilding team definitely should not sign Ellsbury, because he'll be washed up by the time the rebuilding is complete.

I will laugh my ass off if the Cubs throw millions at Ellsbury.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 10-31-2013, 03:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

I wonder if Boston has soured on Salty?
Old 10-31-2013, 03:54 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
You think there's a team out there that's going to take Danks and the money?
That and you can almost book it he's going to be a Cub
Old 10-31-2013, 08:21 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
That and you can almost book it he's going to be a Cub
If I were you, I would not fly to Vegas to place money on that one.

All hail The Rick
Old 10-31-2013, 09:31 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Marco Paddy. Here's the final segment of the lengthy SSS series on the Sox in Latin America.

http://www.southsidesox.com/minors/2...-back-on-track

Anyone know anthing about Luis Martinez?

from the SSS story:
Paddy also instantaneously signaled the shift in White Sox strategy. Part of that $778,500 spent in 2011 is attributable to Paddy, who used $250,000 to ink pitcher Luis Martinez, a Venezuelan right-hander. That signing, mere days after he was hired, was the largest bonus the White Sox have handed out since the Wilder era.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
The problem with Jackson wasn't what we got for him. That move was as much a Teahen salary dump as anything. The fact that KW gave up Hudson, injured as he's been, to get him is nothing short of an atrocity.
....and, of course, it was KW who gave Teahen that lousy contract extension in the first place. So, if the trade with Toronto was essentially a salary dump, then it was KW fixing one of his other mistakes.

As far the trade to acquire Jackson from Arizona, let's not forget that it wasn't just Jackson for Hudson straight up. The Sox gave up this guy too:
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...call_up_m.html