White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who's your pick to win the 2013 World Series?
St. Louis Cardinals 50 74.63%
Boston Red Sox 17 25.37%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2013, 09:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Not even close. The Cards fan base is not made up of self-entitled whiny people. The Card fans would say "that's ok, we'll be back next year." They are the NL's version of the Yankees (the only team with more World Series titles in their history).
Check out @bestfansstlouis on Twitter.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:12 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
Check out @bestfansstlouis on Twitter.
Seriously, was just about to post this. These people suck

https://twitter.com/bestfansstlouis
Old 10-28-2013, 01:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
Game ending pickoff so i'm guessing a Walk-Off Balk for Game 5?

Would that make it a Balk-Off?
Old 10-28-2013, 05:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Great TV coverage of the final play by Fox. Talk about "Why are they holding him on?" for ten minutes and then focus on pretty girls in the stands when the play is actually happening.
Thankfully Buck was on top of it. That was actually a good call. I don't usually sing his praises.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:52 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

MLB
This was the first #WorldSeries game in history to end on a pickoff: http://atmlb.com/1gU9yaC pic.twitter.com/ucVgFF7k2P

6:30 FOX
Game 5 Red Sox at Cardinals

Lester v Wainwright

Boston
1. Jacoby Ellsbury (CF)
2. Pedroia (2B)
3. Ortiz (1B)
4. Gomes (LF)
5. Nava (RF)
6. Xander Bogaerts (3B)
7. Stephen Drew (SS)
8. Ross (C)
9. Lester (P)

St. Louis
1. Carpenter (2B)
2. Robinson (CF)
3. Matt Holliday (LF)
4. Beltran (RF)
5. Yadier Molina (C)
6. Craig (1B)
7. David Freese (3B)
8. Kozma (SS)
9. Adam Wainwright (P)
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 10-28-2013, 06:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Craig in the lineup. Very interesting.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
Thankfully Buck was on top of it. That was actually a good call. I don't usually sing his praises.
To his credit, he wasn't watching the pretty girls in the stands on his monitor but was looking at the field. To his discredit, he didn't say "Hey, Tim, I guess that's why they were holding him on."
Old 10-28-2013, 10:10 PM
WSI High Priest

The guy who hit .216 in the regular season does the Cards in, that's the kind of stuff that happens in the postseason.
1 more to go for Boston.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Not even close. The Cards fan base is not made up of self-entitled whiny people. The Card fans would say "that's ok, we'll be back next year." They are the NL's version of the Yankees (the only team with more World Series titles in their history).
Please - the Cards aren't the team to attack all of their shortfalls and injuries and FA signing mistakes by hurling more and more money like the Yankees. While they don't have much in the way of big spending in their own division to worry about, since the Cubs are so tight-fisted lately, they had to get past the mega-buck Dodger$ this season. And how many teams could lose an Albert Pujols after winning the World Series in 2011 and be back just two years later? (Although in retrospect, not bringing back Pujols looks like sheer genius now).

Dump, I hope you were comparing the Cards to the Yankees only because of the number to World Series victories, and no other reason.

SMO
Old 10-29-2013, 07:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
1 more to go for Boston.
Let's get it over with.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:20 AM
Winner 2014 WSI PTC Contest

I must say, this has been an excellent series to watch, especially the pitching.
Edit: Oh, yeah...and David Ortiz.

Last edited by ChiSoxGal85; 10-29-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGal85 View Post
I must say, this has been an excellent series to watch, especially the pitching.
Edit: Oh, yeah...and David Ortiz.
One of the greatest World Series performances I've ever witnessed. Its one thing for a guy with little pressure on him to come out of nowhere to perform; its a whole other thing for a guy to come into a series with his team, fans, and city depending on him and he STILL produces. Its the type of stuff that tips Hall of Fame voting in your favor when you have borderline numbers. If the Red Sox win, it would be a tough choice for MVP; Ortiz or Lester? Both?

That being said, the Cardinals are the epitome of a professional ball club and, to the last man, they will go down fighting. They are more than capable of pulling this off in Fenway or on Mars. A Game 7 to close this season out would be great.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:45 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydude View Post
One of the greatest World Series performances I've ever witnessed. Its one thing for a guy with little pressure on him to come out of nowhere to perform; its a whole other thing for a guy to come into a series with his team, fans, and city depending on him and he STILL produces. Its the type of stuff that tips Hall of Fame voting in your favor when you have borderline numbers. If the Red Sox win, it would be a tough choice for MVP; Ortiz or Lester? Both?

That being said, the Cardinals are the epitome of a professional ball club and, to the last man, they will go down fighting. They are more than capable of pulling this off in Fenway or on Mars. A Game 7 to close this season out would be great.
Ortiz. I said on my blog last night that we'd be talking about Lester as MVP in any other year. He's been outstanding. But I don't know how anything can compare to the performance of Ortiz in this series. His OBP is .789. That's obscene.

Ortiz is hitting .733 in this series. The rest of the Red Sox are hitting .156 collectively. The Cardinals are obviously pitching well in this series. They've been able to quiet several other very good Boston hitters. But nothing they have tried against Ortiz has worked. He's been otherworldly.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 10-29-2013, 12:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Ortiz. I said on my blog last night that we'd be talking about Lester as MVP in any other year. He's been outstanding. But I don't know how anything can compare to the performance of Ortiz in this series. His OBP is .789. That's obscene.

Ortiz is hitting .733 in this series. The rest of the Red Sox are hitting .156 collectively. The Cardinals are obviously pitching well in this series. They've been able to quiet several other very good Boston hitters. But nothing they have tried against Ortiz has worked. He's been otherworldly.
You're right, JB. Ortiz has simply been too good to consider anyone else for the hardware if they win. Given the performances of the rest of the Sox, it may be time for the Cards to start giving Papi the Barry Bonds treatment.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post

but Lester has two of the three wins so far on his own

two bad games and those Ortiz numbers drop precipitously while Lester's will stick

anyway, the Cardinals are still going to get this thing