White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 10:17 PM
WSI High Priest

We were the White Sox when Boston was still the Pilgrims.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Petty concerns.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-27-2013, 10:40 PM
WSI Personality

It's a bit irritating, but I think the Sox (the White variety) fans will always suffer from a little brother syndrome. It's in our blood. The Sox will never get the national coverage the Red Sox or Cubs get. It's better to just try to accept that and move on. The only thing I can see changing the tide is if the Sox had a decade-long run of 4-5 World Series.

Anticipated next game: Opening Day
Old 10-27-2013, 11:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Winning cures all.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 10-28-2013, 12:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Some of you guys let the weirdest things bother you.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
Some of you guys let the weirdest things bother you.
I don't think it would bother me near as much if "our" Sox hadn't been a complete pukefest since the middle of September 2012 and, with the happy, short-lived exception of 2008, been a no-show in the playoffs since our brief, shining moment in the sun 8 years ago. Under those circumstances it becomes an extra layer of icing on our giant cake of contemporary baseball humiliation...
Old 10-29-2013, 01:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm ok with it. If you asked the average baseball fan what comes to mind when they hear the name "Sox" I'd be surprised if the vast majority of them wouldn't point to Boston and Fenway.

I also wasn't upset with the perceived lack of respect many seem to believe we received on the telecasts during the 2005 playoffs. The type of attention and respect the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Braves, Cardinals, and Cubs receive is not likely to ever visit 35th and Shields except for the briefest moments. I'm not bothered by that; I just want more titles.

The Rays have two titles in the last decade and annual success and no one gives a damn about them.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procol Harum View Post
I don't think it would bother me near as much if "our" Sox hadn't been a complete pukefest since the middle of September 2012 and, with the happy, short-lived exception of 2008, been a no-show in the playoffs since our brief, shining moment in the sun 8 years ago. Under those circumstances it becomes an extra layer of icing on our giant cake of contemporary baseball humiliation...
I guess I have the opposite view of this. Since the White Sox have been, at best, playoff pretenders post 2008, i'm not going to complain if the national media refers to the perennial pennant-contending Red Sox as "the Sox". As much as I hate the Red Sox, they have earned being called "the Sox".

How about if White Sox ownership/management turn this team into a frequent pennant contender instead of a perennial 84 win/2nd or 3rd place team with a surprise playoff appearance every ~5 years? Maybe that'll solve the problem of the national media only noticing one "Sox" team.

If the White Sox became a sustained pennant contender and media outlets continued to give the Red Sox a monopoly on the term "the Sox", then i'll find this as something worth complaining about.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Icon10

They're the Bah-ston SAWX,you Bah-stads.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70 View Post
They're the Bah-ston SAWX,you Bah-stads.
Båstad?

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 11-01-2013, 09:08 AM
WSI High Priest

We will get the respect when we start doing what the Blackhawks have done, they are probably the premier franchise in the NHL right now. Until JR comes to his senses and changes things on the Southside we will continue to be just another baseball team wallowing around as pretenders instead of contenders, better yet JR needs to sell the team.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 11-01-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:50 AM
WSI High Priest

If we can win 3 World Series in 10 years instead of 3 in 107 years- maybe it will change.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English I’m going to sing it."
Old 11-01-2013, 02:27 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
We will get the respect when we start doing what the Blackhawks have done, they are probably the premier franchise in the NHL right now. Until JR comes to his senses and changes things on the Southside we will continue to be just another baseball team wallowing around as pretenders instead of contenders, better yet JR needs to sell the team.
I think the Sox can become a contender without being miserable for years on end in order to get top draft picks. Those picks mean less in baseball, too.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.