White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who's your pick to win the 2013 World Series?
St. Louis Cardinals 50 74.63%
Boston Red Sox 17 25.37%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2013, 10:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
While it was the right call, this certainly won't help Boston fans' idiotic persecution complex.
Yup!
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 10-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
While it was the right call, this certainly won't help Boston fans' idiotic persecution complex.
Bingo. Also, Boston fans and their "suffering."

All hail The Rick
Old 10-27-2013, 11:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

If Boston doesn't come back to win the Series, the world will never hear the end of it. Books will be written. Movies will be made. Doris Kearns Goodwin and Dennis Leary and Bob Ryan and Ben Affleck etc. Oh ****, I'm not ready for that. The world isn't ready for that. The only thing more insufferable than Red Sox fans after their team has won the WS is Red Sox fans after their team has lost the WS.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
If Boston doesn't come back to win the Series, the world will never hear the end of it. Books will be written. Movies will be made. Doris Kearns Goodwin and Dennis Leary and Bob Ryan and Ben Affleck etc. Oh ****, I'm not ready for that. The world isn't ready for that. The only thing more insufferable than Red Sox fans after their team has won the WS is Red Sox fans after their team has lost the WS.
You left out the 24 hour a day coverage for at least one week after the Series is over on ESPN with "experts" from every corner of Boston (some of whom might pronounce the letter "r"). The documentary "Joyce Blew It" will become required viewing in the Boston Public Schools at all grade levels and will be re-broadcast on ESPN at least one a week every year for the next 25 years (twice a week during Christmas since the kids will be home from school then).
Old 10-27-2013, 01:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
You don't think there would be similar reaction from Cardinals Nation if the Cardinals were to go on to lose the World Series after losing a game after a clear obstruction of what the baserunner at third prevented him from scoring the winning run?

The Cardinals didn't win the game on a rulebook technicality. The run wasn't awarded because it was clear to all of the umpires that he would have scored had the Red Sox not obstructed the runner from scoring. The rule addresses this specific action. Bring in the instant replay. Show it over and over. The play is the definition of obstruction. Don't call it and you're screwing the Cardinals and the hue and cry for years to come is coming from Cardinals Nation.

It's unfortunate that the Red Sox screwed up the end of the game in a way that no ending of a World Series Game has been screwed up before. Because the obstruction prevented the winning run from scoring, and it wasn't a non-call on a play that Carlton Fisk has always insisted was interference in a 1975 Red Sox World Series loss, it will be more memorable.

Really, it isn't even the most unusual ending to a game I've ever seen. In September 2010, the Twins won a game in which the last out of the game was made at third because the runner representing the tying run with two outs in the ninth was called out d for making contact with the third-base coach.

You don't ignore a rule simply because it's a lousy way to end the game. If the play happened in the bottom of the first, it would have less controversy than the J.C. Martin bunt play in the 1969 World Series. But it's not on the umpires for not overlooking rules because it would be "a lousy way to end the game" (I actually heard that phrase from a sports editor on the other side of the building from where I was working during Game 2 of the 2005 ALCS). This is about the Red Sox screwing up.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
You don't think there would be similar reaction from Cardinals Nation if the Cardinals were to go on to lose the World Series after losing a game after a clear obstruction of what the baserunner at third prevented him from scoring the winning run?
Not even close. The Cards fan base is not made up of self-entitled whiny people. The Card fans would say "that's ok, we'll be back next year." They are the NL's version of the Yankees (the only team with more World Series titles in their history).
Old 10-27-2013, 06:44 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

7pm FOX

Game 4 Red Sox at Cardinals

Buchholz v Lynn

MLB ‏@MLB
Tonight, we dedicate Game 4to remembrance and fighting for a cure. Join us as we Stand Up To Cancer: http://atmlb.com/HpBL8K @SU2C
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 10-27-2013, 11:05 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

Game ending pickoff so i'm guessing a Walk-Off Balk for Game 5?

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Wong place Wong time.

This series is bananas.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
Wong place Wong time.

This series is bananas.
Yep. Those looking for great baseball may be somewhat disappointed but its definitely come through in terms of drama.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:39 AM
WSI High Priest

Great TV coverage of the final play by Fox. Talk about "Why are they holding him on?" for ten minutes and then focus on pretty girls in the stands when the play is actually happening.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
Game ending pickoff so i'm guessing a Walk-Off Balk for Game 5?
It is within the realm of possibility
Old 10-28-2013, 07:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Great TV coverage of the final play by Fox. Talk about "Why are they holding him on?" for ten minutes and then focus on pretty girls in the stands when the play is actually happening.
Fox Sports is just a big a joke, as Fox News..
Old 10-28-2013, 08:02 AM
WSI High Priest

It may not be perfect baseball- but it's a very entertaining and interesting World Series.

I tend to like the earlier parts of the post season (Wild Card Play In & LDS) more than the World Series itself- but both of these teams are pretty interesting to me, they are both "orginal 8" teams for their leagues, I like both ballparks, etc.

2-3 baseball games left- then it's time to go "Hornsby" for me-

People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.

Rogers Hornsby
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 10-28-2013, 09:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Not even close. The Cards fan base is not made up of self-entitled whiny people. The Card fans would say "that's ok, we'll be back next year." They are the NL's version of the Yankees (the only team with more World Series titles in their history).
Correct. See the Deckinger call at 1st base in the 1985 World Series. The Cardinals got royally screwed (pun intended), and there was all the bitching and moaning about it, as there should be in a case where the call was blown as bad as that was. And then, that was it. You don't hear about it that much, outside of one of those ESPN "Top 20 Worst Calls" or whatever. There was never any hour long specials, or made for cable movies, like they do for the poor little Boston fans, or the "long suffering" Cubs fans.