White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who's your pick to win the 2013 World Series?
St. Louis Cardinals 50 74.63%
Boston Red Sox 17 25.37%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2013, 12:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

I can't stand the Cards and am hoping the Red Sox find a way to get this series but that was definitely the right call. Saltalamacha is the guy who should be criticized, if any, for first the ill advised decision to throw to third and, then, the poor execution of the throw.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:38 AM
WSI Guru

While it was the right call, this certainly won't help Boston fans' idiotic persecution complex.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:39 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC727 View Post
I think if Middlebrooks didn't bend his legs up, there would have been no interference call.
Middelbrooks could have jumped up and down or done pushups, but if Craig would have stayed in the third base to home plate base path there would have been no "tripping" or interference.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:39 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
While it was the right call, this certainly won't help Boston fans' idiotic persecution complex.
To them, this is Buckner all over again.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:42 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedema View Post
Middelbrooks could have jumped up and down or done pushups, but if Craig would have stayed in the third base to home plate base path there would have been no "tripping" or interference.
That was the correct call. Even the example in the specific rule states this exact scenario.

CUBS SUCK

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:43 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Medias B's View Post
To them, this is Buckner all over again.
At least that was their own player (though they turned on him). As an outside force, they'll blame it not on Saltalamacchia throwing to the wrong base, but on MLB/umps/the man/NYC.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:44 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Shades of Lenny Dykstra...

Didn't seem to be intentional to my eye. Regardless, a crappy way to decide a World Series game.
There are many, including Carlton Fisk, who will tell you the Red Sox lost the 1975 World Series becasue of an interference call that umpires didn't make.

As for tonight, it doesn't have to be intentional, and it obviously wasn't incidental. If Middlebrooks is simply lying on the ground, it's incidental. Middlebrooks, however, intentionally or unintentionally, flips his legs up, to trip the runner. He didn't trip the runner while trying to get to his feet. And, considering the Cardinals took the lead on just such a play in Game 2 after the throw from home went past third, you can't assume the obstruction was unintentional. In real time, it looked like rulebook obstruction, and it looked like it was called immediately by the umpire at third.

The Red Sox deserved to lose this game becasue they overthrew third base in an attempt to get a baserunner coming down from second, just as they deserved to lose Game 2 becasue they overthrew third trying to get a running coming down from second. If the play instead ends up an inning-ending double pay and the Red Sox win in the 10th, it would be a crappy way to win a World Series game.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:44 AM
WSI Prelate

Why didn't Crais re-touch 3B when going home if when he got up it was to the 2B side of 3B?
Old 10-27-2013, 12:55 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydude View Post
I can't stand the Cards and am hoping the Red Sox find a way to get this series but that was definitely the right call. Saltalamacha is the guy who should be criticized, if any, for first the ill advised decision to throw to third and, then, the poor execution of the throw.
You and ESPN are going to be disappointed in the end I hope.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:01 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedema View Post
He was getting up after having dived into third base. His body was on the fair side of the line. The ball went by. The third base coach is waving frantically he jumps to his feet and starts running. Of course his feet landed fair. His whole body was fair.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-27-2013, 01:02 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Why didn't Crais re-touch 3B when going home if when he got up it was to the 2B side of 3B?
He doesn't need to. He already touched third and didn't touch second before heading for home, which he didn't touch but was awarded. And if the obstruction prevented him from touching third, that counts as touching third. The requirement is that the bases be touched in order coming around the bases. Coming hom from the second-base side of third is just a matter of running on the inside of the foul line, which the rules allow.

What you apparently are thinking of is a situation where a runner has to return to a base because he hasn't tagged up on a fly ball. For example, if the runner is beyond third base and doesn't retouch third before returning to second to beat the throw from the outfield after a catch, would be called out if the defense appealed at third because in that case, he doesn't retouch the bases he passed as the rules require.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:06 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
That would be damned picky. Do we really want to make guys stop acting on instinct and using all their athletic skills and force them to think, "did I do that right" every single time something like this happens?

This was a bang bang play though not in the classic sense of the word, bang the ball went past the glove of the 3B and bang the runner jumped to his feet and started running.

It was a valid play by the runner.

Edit: I'll step aside and assume TDog knows what he's talking about and that my explanation is moot in the face of the rules.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
You and ESPN are going to be disappointed in the end I hope.
Lol. You and many others no doubt. I can't speak for ESPN but, for me, it wouldn't be the first time or, I fear, the last. :-)
Old 10-27-2013, 02:14 AM
WSI Prelate

Jim Joyce is in the middle of a critical play again. Who'd a thunk it?
Old 10-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

I guess the Curse of the Bambino lives on.......

All hail The Rick