White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 08:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Post 60 Years

Just thinking today that It's been almost 60 years that I've been an ardent fan of the Sox, I was 8 years old in 1954 and even though I came out of the womb a Sox fan it was in 1954 that I really discovered baseball and the Sox. I was on my Cub Scout baseball team, played second base and my Dad bought me a Nellie Fox glove and my love affair with the Sox started. I started following them on TV and went to my first game on July 15 1955, a win against the old Washington Senators.

I thought I would share some of my memories.

July 15 1955 First game a 5-4 win against the Senators.
July 25 1956 First night game, Got clobbered by the Yankees 10-1 but what I remember most is my favorite uncle took me to the game along with his girlfriend and we parked on Princeton between 35th and 36th. My uncle gave some kid a couple bucks to watch his 1956 Olds Rocket 88 convertible, when we got to the car after the game all 4 tires were flat.
June 27th 1957 Billy Pierce loses a bid for a perfect game with 2 out in the ninth when the Senators Ed Fitzgerald hits a duck snort double down the right field line.
April 22 1959 Sox score 11 runs in one inning with only one hit against the A's in KC.
August 6 1959 Billy Pierce pitches 16 innings against the Orioles in Baltimore and game is called by curfew rule after 18 innings, 1-1 tie.
Sept 22 1959 The Sox clinch their first pennant in 40 years as we beat the Indians in Cleveland 4-2. The Air Raid sirens were blasting a few minutes after the final out.
Oct 1, 1959 Sox clobber the Dodgers 11-0 in game 1 of the World Series.
Oct 2, 1959 I'm there with my uncle and mom as we lose game 2 in a heartbreaker 4-3.
The 1962 season when I was a vendor selling Cokes or peanuts.
1963, 1964 and 1965, the Sox win more games than other team in the A. L. but all they have to show for it is 3 second place finishes.
Sept 10 1967 Joe Horlen no hits the Tigers in the final month of the best pennant race in MLB history. The Sox lose the last 5 games to the A's and Senators who were the worst team in the league and we finish 4th, 3 games out.
The 1971 season as the White Sox returned to respectability after 3 horrible seasons.
1972 season with Richie Allen leading the way.
July 31, 1977 Over 50,000 of us at Comiskey as we beat the Royals in one of the greatest come from behind victories in Sox history and go up 6 games on KC. The place went crazy and everybody had no doubt we were on the way to the World Series. The Sox lost the magic in August and September and finished 3rd.
April 1981 First home game of the new JR ownership and Carlton Fisk's first game as a member of the Sox and hits a Grand Slam as we beat the Brewers in front of 51,000, me included.
Sept 17 1983 Sox clinch the West but go on to lose to the O's with Britt Burns pitching his heart out but losing one of the biggest heartbreakers in Sox history.
Sept 27 1993 Wife and I watch the Sox clinch the division against the Mariners with the famous towering homer by Bo Jackson.
2000 season with the Sox powering their way to the division title but fall flat on their faces in the playoffs against the Mariners.
The whole 2005 season but the big games were the Crede walk off against the Indians, the El Duque game against the BoSox, the AJ game against the Angels and the Pods walk off against the Astros along with the Blum homer in game 3 and of course game 4.
2008 season with the Sox winning the Blackout game against the Twins.
July 23, 2009 Mark Buerhle's perfecto with the great catch by Wise.
I could add so many more but it would take another few hours.

My 25 man team of the last 60 years.
First Base-Paulie. 2nd base-Nellie. 3rd base-Ventura. Shortstop-Aparicio
Left Field-Minnie. Center Field - Landis. Right Field- Baines. Catcher Fisk
DH-The Big Hurt.
Spare infielders Melton, Ozzie and Durham
Spare outfielders- Mags and Lemon.
Spare catcher- Lollar

Starting pitchers-Pierce, Buerhle, Horlen, Wood and Peters
Relief pitchers-Thigpen, Wilhelm, Jenks, Hernandez and Fisher

Manager- Al Lopez
Pitching coach- Ray Berres
Hitting coach- Charlie Lau

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 10-24-2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Congrats! I hope to still be around at your age, telling little kids about Shingo Takatsu's hidden perfect game, Herbert Perry's magic 2000 season, and other stuff that will sound old then!
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 10-23-2013, 10:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Im at just 50years and they have always been my true love as they are to you.

I like your 25 but Ill switch BlackJack for Buerhle and Id put Forster as a lefty in the pen for Hernandez.

Boy, I just noticed with 3 flutter ballers we might need another catcher on the club
Old 10-24-2013, 05:28 AM
WSI High Priest

No Neck, I was torn between Jack and Peters but Gary had more wins in a Sox uni plus he could hit. Buerhle has to stay.
I was also torn between Fisher and Forster but I always side with the heroes of my youth.
Maybe I should have added J.C. Martin as a third catcher, he was excellent with handling the knuckleball.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:13 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

I consider 1982 my first year of Sox fandom (I was 9 at the time), so I have 31 years. My best memory is being at the clincher in '83.

My 25 man team:

1B: Konerko
2B: Durham
SS: Alexei
3B: Ventura
OF: Baines, Raines, Calderon
DH: Frank
C: Fisk
Bench: Pierzynski, Kittle, Thome, Ordonez, Fletcher

Rotation: McDowell, Buehrle, Fernandez, Hoyt, Baldwin

BP: Thigpen, Foulke, Hernandez, Jenks, Cotts, Politte, Howry

Last edited by Moses_Scurry; 10-24-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:21 PM
WSI Regular

Enough thrills to make up for the agonies?
Old 10-25-2013, 05:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisk4ever View Post
Enough thrills to make up for the agonies?
Good question, is one World Series championship in 60 years enough? There has been some great memories down through the years, some that I would never trade for but when you compare us to the Yankees, Cardinals and Dodgers down through those same 60 years, I would say I've really been deprived.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 10-25-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Good question, is one World Series championship in 60 years enough? There has been some great memories down through the years, some that I would never trade for but when you compare us to the Yankees, Cardinals and Dodgers down through those same 60 years, I would say I've really been deprived.
Deprived ? , I think of it as more like being the guy standing in line just as the buffet runs out.. 60 freaking years... Talk about an old War Horse.. It all boils down to we have learned what it takes to lose ball games on more occasions than those lucky ****s that follow the Birds on a Bat, Trolley Dodgers, and Pinstripers of Gotham..

BK59
Old 10-25-2013, 07:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKlu59 View Post
Deprived ? , I think of it as more like being the guy standing in line just as the buffet runs out.. 60 freaking years... Talk about an old War Horse.. It all boils down to we have learned what it takes to lose ball games on more occasions than those lucky ****s that follow the Birds on a Bat, Trolley Dodgers, and Pinstripers of Gotham..

BK59
37 winning seasons, 23 losing seasons in that time, not bad especially when compared to the Cubs, 19 winning seasons, 41 losing seasons. They aren't even allowed in the buffet line.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
37 winning seasons, 23 losing seasons in that time, not bad especially when compared to the Cubs, 19 winning seasons, 41 losing seasons. They aren't even allowed in the buffet line.
Yup, cant bitch about a .616 clip after 60 years... To bad those 23 losing seasons over the last 40 odd years bent the average. Still hurting from my 60's baptism.. I'm running about 10 years behind you. I thought Winning and White Sox went together like peas and carrots.. 67 stunned me. Come on, the A's and the Nats... Never saw that one comin... If ever a bunch of rag tags to cut the kneees out from under ya.. My first taste of if crazy **** can happen, it will...

BK59
Old 10-25-2013, 08:19 PM
WSI Regular

Even in the losing years when the buffet was out of reach, we still had our peanuts and cracker jacks. Sixty years of baseball - think of the baseball history we've seen!
Old 10-25-2013, 09:17 PM
WSI Personality

Fun to read - thank you. I especially like the recount of the comeback KC game; wasn't alive yet but made me think of the last game of the Miami series this year. I don't think any one was thinking WS or playoffs at .500 but you don't get those uplifting/memorable moments watching other sports during a non-championship year.

Maybe Bears football for me but I don't claim any intelligent thinking there..
Old 10-25-2013, 09:24 PM
WSI Regular

Great thread. I have been a fan since the early 60's . Such great memories at the old ball park. Was there for Horlen's no hitter, I was there for Yaztremski's last game there, when he received a standing ovation. Caught a Rocky Colovito home run ball. I was there when Boog Powell had a roof shot in right field. I had never seen one to right. I still imagine myself as a 12 year old kid sitting in the left field grandstands smelling beer and cigar smoke. I also have great memories of sitting on the patio with my dad over the barbaque, listening to Bob Elson on the radio. From the good teams of the 60's to the disappointment in the 70's to winning ugly, to the promising teams of the 90's and then seeing them win the world series, it's been a fun 50 years.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:44 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Great post. Sure brings up many memories. I would have put Ken Berry on your roster in place of Lemon however. I believe Casey Stengel was quoted as saying playing against the White Sox was facing a team with big gloves and great pitchers.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:50 AM
WSI Personality

Default Little Nell:

One World Championship and 2 pennants in my lifetime are not enough but I'm thankful they at least won something in my life. I'm just happy when the White Sox get in the Playoffs now. Anything can happen once you're in the Playoffs. Hopefully the 2014 season will have the White Sox back in the Playoffs.