White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 02:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Ha!

Thread: Sox sign [batter X (almost no matter how bad this person is)]

Responses: He couldn't be worse than Adam Dunn!
Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
It's like you can see the future! Now, Saturday's Powerball numbers, please.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:16 PM
WSI High Priest

For as "awful" as Adam Dunn was, his 3 month stretch of June, July and August this year produced a .272 avg. 18 homers 51 RBI 50 BB, .380 OBP .498 SLG, and .878 OPS. His other 3 months were like 2011.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
We probably should hold off on claims regarding Abreu until we actually see him bat in the Majors. I like the signing, and I think he has a chance, but proclaiming him as one of our top two bats is a little premature.
Not really. I think you can book it. You don't sign someone to a 6 year 68 million deal because he has a chance. He is clearly far superior to the other recent Cuban players to cross over, at least at the plate.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Not really. I think you can book it. You don't sign someone to a 6 year 68 million deal because he has a chance. He is clearly far superior to the other recent Cuban players to cross over, at least at the plate.
No, you can't "book it". You say he's far superior to other recent crossovers. How do you know this? Have you seen him play? Is he better than Puig or Cespedes? The only time we've seen him is in the World Baseball Classic. Like I said, there is room for optimism, but to claim he is one of the Sox top hitters before he's even seen a Major League pitch is going a little overboard. Let's give the guy a chance to prove himself first.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 10-24-2013, 04:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
No, you can't "book it". You say he's far superior to other recent crossovers. How do you know this? Have you seen him play? Is he better than Puig or Cespedes? The only time we've seen him is in the World Baseball Classic. Like I said, there is room for optimism, but to claim he is one of the Sox top hitters before he's even seen a Major League pitch is going a little overboard. Let's give the guy a chance to prove himself first.
Compare the numbers. Like the example I gave, you can look at the numbers of Ellis Burks and Frank Thomas with the Sox, given they were facing the same competition, obviously Thomas was the superior hitter. The difference between Abreu's and Cespedes' numbers is similar to the discrepancy between the latter pair. Year in year out, Abreu put up vastly superior numbers. I have to admit it might be unfair to compare Puig, since he was only 23 when he last played in Cuba, but he put up numbers similar to Cespedes, again dwarfed by those of Abreu.

Saying he is one of the top hitters for the Sox isn't going overboard when you can clearly see outside of Garcia, the Sox lack any decent hitters. Abreu could be a borderline bust and still outhit the players the Sox currently have.

At any rate, if he isn't one of the top two Sox hitters on the roster at this point, Hahn ****ed up big time.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I'm willing to go out on a limb just by seeing a handful of hacks on YouTube and a few scouting reports that he is already a top 3 hitter on this roster.

Beckham, Fegley, Flowers, Alexei, the clown car at 3B, I'll take the bet.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Being a top 3 hitter on this club isnt much of an accolade. Dunn currently fills one of those slots.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

At any rate, if he isn't one of the top two Sox hitters on the roster at this point, Hahn ****ed up big time.
Unless he can't hit a major league fastball.

A slow bat seems to be the main criticism here. I read specifically a double toe tap is what people are worried about. Some critics think he'll be fine if he can read the pitch early.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
If you dream the Impossible Dream, who knows it might actually occur. I've always been good at spending other peoples money so I would like to spend some of the White Sox money. All Hahn has to do is sign Ellsbury, Cano and McCann to put the White Sox back in the 2014 Playoffs. Just think of the roster.
C= McCann and Phegley
1B= Abreu
2B= Cano
SS= Ramirez
3B- Gillespie/Keppinger
LF=DeAza/Viciedo
Cf= Ellsbury
RF= Garcia
SP= Sale, Quintana, Danks, Johnson, and Santiago
RP= Reed, Lindstrom, Veal, Veal, Webb and Jones
DH= Konerko/Viciedo
I have no doubt if the White Sox had this roster they would be in the 2014 Playoffs. All they have to do is spend a little bit of money to make this happen. I read yesterday that the White Sox have the 11th most valuable BB franchise. (Bloomberg News) So lets hope they start spending some of there money to make all of this happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Once I saw a lineup, I didn't need to read the rest of the post to know it won't.
I'm starting to think GoldenSox must be a bot who periodically posts the same general message somewhat out of context in just about every thread.

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 10-25-2013, 11:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
Unless he can't hit a major league fastball.

A slow bat seems to be the main criticism here.
That's the same thing that was said about Cespedes.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
That's the same thing that was said about Cespedes.
The thing is, we don't know if he can make the adjustments Cespedes made. It's a reason I'm not ready to anoint him one of the better hitters on this team. To those saying it doesn't take much, that's true. He could be the best/second best offensive player on this team, or he could be the third best Cuban hitter here. Until he faces Major League pitching, we just don't know.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:08 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
The thing is, we don't know if he can make the adjustments Cespedes made. It's a reason I'm not ready to anoint him one of the better hitters on this team. To those saying it doesn't take much, that's true. He could be the best/second best offensive player on this team, or he could be the third best Cuban hitter here. Until he faces Major League pitching, we just don't know.
I'm of the opinion that Abreu will be one of the better hitters on this team, almost immediately, but this is a pretty fair and understandable position to take.

It should also be noted that Cespedes, after having that great rookie season in 2012, regressed in basically every way possible last year.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...yo01-bat.shtml

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 10-25-2013, 02:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

What's the latest on the Abreu signing? It's been more than week and nothing has come out to confirm he's on board.

It's pending a physical, so I suppose it's like with my doctor. I'm lucky to get an appointment with 30 days.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
What's the latest on the Abreu signing? It's been more than week and nothing has come out to confirm he's on board.

It's pending a physical, so I suppose it's like with my doctor. I'm lucky to get an appointment with 30 days.
Probably won't be officially announced until the after the World Series.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I guess it makes sense to doubt that a hitter won't be able to make the same adjustment that clearly inferior hitters were able to make. If the Sox can't distinguish, to the tune of 68 million dollars, between a fully developed hitter who can or cannot hit MLB pitching, then we have serious problems. It's not like they speculatively signed a prospect like Viciedo.