White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-24-2013, 07:14 AM
Fastball23 Fastball23 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 259
Default Should the Sox bring AJ back?

I'd like to see him back on a one year deal.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-24-2013, 08:29 AM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Why would AJ want to do that?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-24-2013, 08:47 AM
russ99 russ99 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,643
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Why would AJ want to do that?
Very true. He's close to the end of his career so I'm sure he's looking for a bigger payday than the Sox can offer at this point, and also he'd prefer to play for a title contender.

With the lack of good hitting catchers out there, he'll probably get both.

I do think A.J. will be back with the Sox in some capacity after he retires.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-24-2013, 08:58 AM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Very true. He's close to the end of his career so I'm sure he's looking for a bigger payday than the Sox can offer at this point, and also he'd prefer to play for a title contender.

With the lack of good hitting catchers out there, he'll probably get both.

I do think A.J. will be back with the Sox in some capacity after he retires.
We really missed the boat on him. He probably would have taken a one year deal with us last year (given he did the same with Texas). While that wouldn't have changed too much last season, things would have been a little more tolerable.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-24-2013, 09:15 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is online now
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,941
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Why would AJ want to do that?


Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Very true. He's close to the end of his career so I'm sure he's looking for a bigger payday than the Sox can offer at this point, and also he'd prefer to play for a title contender.

With the lack of good hitting catchers out there, he'll probably get both.

I do think A.J. will be back with the Sox in some capacity after he retires.
I'm not sure why the Sox can't afford him, coming off a career best season in 2012 he was only able to get a 1-year, $7 million contract from the Rangers, this isn't exactly bank-busting stuff for a team like the Sox that cleared some $50 million in contracts off their books and have another $15 million coming off next off-season.

AJ, like probably every other player in the league, will take the deal that best compensates him. A lot of us expected him to cash in on his 2012 season and get that last big payday and call it a career last winter, but the market never materialized. MLB teams apparently aren't willing to offer big, long contracts to 36-year-old catchers. I don't know how the FA market will shape up this year, but it would be surprising to me if the big payday he didn't get last year materialized now, but then again, in baseball, it only takes one crazy owner to go and do something stupid.
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-24-2013, 09:25 AM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post




I'm not sure why the Sox can't afford him, coming off a career best season in 2012 he was only able to get a 1-year, $7 million contract from the Rangers, this isn't exactly bank-busting stuff for a team like the Sox that cleared some $50 million in contracts off their books and have another $15 million coming off next off-season.

AJ, like probably every other player in the league, will take the deal that best compensates him. A lot of us expected him to cash in on his 2012 season and get that last big payday and call it a career last winter, but the market never materialized. MLB teams apparently aren't willing to offer big, long contracts to 36-year-old catchers. I don't know how the FA market will shape up this year, but it would be surprising to me if the big payday he didn't get last year materialized now, but then again, in baseball, it only takes one crazy owner to go and do something stupid.
Unless we're the crazy overpaying team, I can't see a 36 year old catcher with usable skills choosing to join a 63 win team. He'll still have lucrative one year offers to contenders, and that's the worst case scenario for him.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-24-2013, 09:28 AM
Noneck Noneck is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,122
Default

He'll follow the scent of long green wherever it will send him.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-24-2013, 09:29 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is online now
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,941
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Unless we're the crazy overpaying team, I can't see a 36 year old catcher with usable skills choosing to join a 63 win team. He'll still have lucrative one year offers to contenders, and that's the worst case scenario for him.
And this is what people were saying last year, that he'd have all these lucrative offers from other teams and he winds up with a good, but still relatively modest, 1-year $7 million deal. I think people really over emphasize how much joining a contender means to most of these guys, 99 times out of 100, they're going with the team that gives them the most cash.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-24-2013, 09:33 AM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
And this is what people were saying last year, that he'd have all these lucrative offers from other teams and he winds up with a good, but still relatively modest, 1-year $7 million deal. I think people really over emphasize how much joining a contender means to most of these guys, 99 times out of 100, they're going with the team that gives them the most cash.
Texas isn't a contender? They had just been to back to back World Series... We don't really know that was the only offer out there for him. But the one year deal he signed was probably a mix of money and contention.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-24-2013, 09:33 AM
PaleHoser PaleHoser is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 942
Default

We should have never let him leave to begin with. He was a productive LH bat in the middle of the order and should have been re-signed.

I was very irked when Rick Hahn was quoted a week after he signed with Texas that they needed another LH bat to balance the lineup.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think one reason he wasn't re-signed was that they needed to choose between him and Jake Peavy .

I don't think there's any question that from a pure baseball standpoint you make him an offer. I think the bigger question is whether Rick Hahn or anyone else in a decision-making role in the organization would be willing to eat humble pie, admit they were wrong to let him leave, and make him an offer.
__________________
"It's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-24-2013, 09:36 AM
spawn's Avatar
spawn spawn is offline
Everybody's All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: My Mother's Basement, Plainfield,Il.
Posts: 11,712
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Texas isn't a contender? They had just been to back to back World Series... We don't really know that was the only offer out there for him. But the one year deal he signed was probably a mix of money and contention.
He didn't say Texas wasn't a contender. Maybe you should read his post again.
__________________


A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-24-2013, 09:38 AM
TaylorStSox TaylorStSox is online now
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington & Talman
Posts: 4,222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
We should have never let him leave to begin with. He was a productive LH bat in the middle of the order and should have been re-signed.

I was very irked when Rick Hahn was quoted a week after he signed with Texas that they needed another LH bat to balance the lineup.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think one reason he wasn't re-signed was that they needed to choose between him and Jake Peavy .

I don't think there's any question that from a pure baseball standpoint you make him an offer. I think the bigger question is whether Rick Hahn or anyone else in a decision-making role in the organization would be willing to eat humble pie, admit they were wrong to let him leave, and make him an offer.
Addison Reed told you why they didn't bring him back.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-24-2013, 09:39 AM
TaylorStSox TaylorStSox is online now
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington & Talman
Posts: 4,222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Texas isn't a contender? They had just been to back to back World Series... We don't really know that was the only offer out there for him. But the one year deal he signed was probably a mix of money and contention.
Me thinks you don't know what "contention" means.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-24-2013, 09:40 AM
spawn's Avatar
spawn spawn is offline
Everybody's All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: My Mother's Basement, Plainfield,Il.
Posts: 11,712
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
We should have never let him leave to begin with. He was a productive LH bat in the middle of the order and should have been re-signed.

I was very irked when Rick Hahn was quoted a week after he signed with Texas that they needed another LH bat to balance the lineup.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think one reason he wasn't re-signed was that they needed to choose between him and Jake Peavy .

I don't think there's any question that from a pure baseball standpoint you make him an offer. I think the bigger question is whether Rick Hahn or anyone else in a decision-making role in the organization would be willing to eat humble pie, admit they were wrong to let him leave, and make him an offer.
Meh...I don't disagree with the decision to letting him go to explore other options. They had to see what they would get from a full season of Flowers. That wouldn't be possible with AJ there. Unfortunately, what they got was garbage. And I disagree with the Sox having to choose Peavy over him. Peavy doesn't pitch every day.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-24-2013, 09:44 AM
tstrike2000 tstrike2000 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: 'Burbs
Posts: 5,997
Default

I highly doubt he'll come back here, but either way, hopefully Hahn is trying to do something. There just isn't a whole lot out there after McCann, who will get crazy money from somebody else.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.