White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2013, 08:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Post 60 Years

Just thinking today that It's been almost 60 years that I've been an ardent fan of the Sox, I was 8 years old in 1954 and even though I came out of the womb a Sox fan it was in 1954 that I really discovered baseball and the Sox. I was on my Cub Scout baseball team, played second base and my Dad bought me a Nellie Fox glove and my love affair with the Sox started. I started following them on TV and went to my first game on July 15 1955, a win against the old Washington Senators.

I thought I would share some of my memories.

July 15 1955 First game a 5-4 win against the Senators.
July 25 1956 First night game, Got clobbered by the Yankees 10-1 but what I remember most is my favorite uncle took me to the game along with his girlfriend and we parked on Princeton between 35th and 36th. My uncle gave some kid a couple bucks to watch his 1956 Olds Rocket 88 convertible, when we got to the car after the game all 4 tires were flat.
June 27th 1957 Billy Pierce loses a bid for a perfect game with 2 out in the ninth when the Senators Ed Fitzgerald hits a duck snort double down the right field line.
April 22 1959 Sox score 11 runs in one inning with only one hit against the A's in KC.
August 6 1959 Billy Pierce pitches 16 innings against the Orioles in Baltimore and game is called by curfew rule after 18 innings, 1-1 tie.
Sept 22 1959 The Sox clinch their first pennant in 40 years as we beat the Indians in Cleveland 4-2. The Air Raid sirens were blasting a few minutes after the final out.
Oct 1, 1959 Sox clobber the Dodgers 11-0 in game 1 of the World Series.
Oct 2, 1959 I'm there with my uncle and mom as we lose game 2 in a heartbreaker 4-3.
The 1962 season when I was a vendor selling Cokes or peanuts.
1963, 1964 and 1965, the Sox win more games than other team in the A. L. but all they have to show for it is 3 second place finishes.
Sept 10 1967 Joe Horlen no hits the Tigers in the final month of the best pennant race in MLB history. The Sox lose the last 5 games to the A's and Senators who were the worst team in the league and we finish 4th, 3 games out.
The 1971 season as the White Sox returned to respectability after 3 horrible seasons.
1972 season with Richie Allen leading the way.
July 31, 1977 Over 50,000 of us at Comiskey as we beat the Royals in one of the greatest come from behind victories in Sox history and go up 6 games on KC. The place went crazy and everybody had no doubt we were on the way to the World Series. The Sox lost the magic in August and September and finished 3rd.
April 1981 First home game of the new JR ownership and Carlton Fisk's first game as a member of the Sox and hits a Grand Slam as we beat the Brewers in front of 51,000, me included.
Sept 17 1983 Sox clinch the West but go on to lose to the O's with Britt Burns pitching his heart out but losing one of the biggest heartbreakers in Sox history.
Sept 27 1993 Wife and I watch the Sox clinch the division against the Mariners with the famous towering homer by Bo Jackson.
2000 season with the Sox powering their way to the division title but fall flat on their faces in the playoffs against the Mariners.
The whole 2005 season but the big games were the Crede walk off against the Indians, the El Duque game against the BoSox, the AJ game against the Angels and the Pods walk off against the Astros along with the Blum homer in game 3 and of course game 4.
2008 season with the Sox winning the Blackout game against the Twins.
July 23, 2009 Mark Buerhle's perfecto with the great catch by Wise.
I could add so many more but it would take another few hours.

My 25 man team of the last 60 years.
First Base-Paulie. 2nd base-Nellie. 3rd base-Ventura. Shortstop-Aparicio
Left Field-Minnie. Center Field - Landis. Right Field- Baines. Catcher Fisk
DH-The Big Hurt.
Spare infielders Melton, Ozzie and Durham
Spare outfielders- Mags and Lemon.
Spare catcher- Lollar

Starting pitchers-Pierce, Buerhle, Horlen, Wood and Peters
Relief pitchers-Thigpen, Wilhelm, Jenks, Hernandez and Fisher

Manager- Al Lopez
Pitching coach- Ray Berres
Hitting coach- Charlie Lau

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 10-24-2013 at 05:38 AM.