White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who's your pick to win the 2013 World Series?
St. Louis Cardinals 50 74.63%
Boston Red Sox 17 25.37%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2013, 12:11 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

The Boston Globe ‏@BostonGlobe “Let’s show the nation why we’re a first-class city.” -- Mayor Menino, urging Sox fans to behave for World Series

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...campaign=sm_tw

Eye on Baseball ‏@EyeOnBaseball
MLB announces Joe West-less umpire crew for World Series http://cbsprt.co/16t0gbS via @cbssports
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 10-22-2013, 12:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
As a longtime ( 1957) White Sox fan who has lived mostly in New England the last 50 years, I find the Red Sox fans when I go to Fenway to be overall polite, knowledgeable and very much into the game. Many sit in company seats since the Red Sox sell thousands of them. As I posted elsewhere, typical Fenway crowd is a husband/wife and 2 kids in the grandstand and college kids in the bleachers. Very safe neighborhood surrounding the ballpark. If you don't have free tickets, can be an expensive day.

Average WS ticket on Stub Hub was $1,400 and range was $500-$5000. Weather will be cold and damp tomorrow night.
I've never really had anything against Red Sox fans. If in the middle of the 1960s my father had taken the job in Boston instead of Dallas, the most loathsome place I've ever experienced, I have no doubt that 1967 would have turned me into a Red Sox fan for life, and I'm sure I wouldn't be any different a Red Sox fan than I am a White Sox fan. Really, Red Sox fans seem a decent group. They're no more smug than Yankees fans, who have less reason to be. They're less smug than Cubs fans who have no reason to be. Really, they're less smug than Bulls fans during the Jordan championship runs (although both of those fanbases were lampooned on Saturday Night Live).

They certainly aren't apathetic the way the Rays fans are. Any team that makes it to the World Series, especially this postseason, is going to be either smug or apathetic and their fans will be hated by teams who didn't make it. Red Sox fans aren't aggressively nasty as the A's fans are. Maybe Dodgers fans aren't as violent as they have show they can be in the last couple of years, the rivalry with the Giants bringing out the worst in fans of both teams.

I can see if you personally are surrounded by people who support a team that you don't, it can be a terrible thing. When I lived in Alaska, I worked with Cubs fans and 2003 was unbearable until the collapse made it so enjoyable. I lived in a Mariners community, so if Seattle had made it to the World Series in those years, I might have found Mariners fans too smug to tolerate. In 2005, there wasn't enough of me to go around in Juneau for the community to hate the White Sox, but the Cubs fans in my office considered White Sox fans to be the worst fans in the world long before 2005.

I've never really found Cardinals fans to be that smug, really. Not in an obnoxious Yankees way (Billy Crystal said that when he was growing up, he chill of autumn was called "World Series weather.") I've actually found a kinship with Cardinals fans for years because they generally treat the Cubs like a rented mule and put Cubs fans in their place.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:52 PM
WSI Personality

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00606200.shtml

Here is one reason I dislike STL. Ponson hits Anderson & Ozuna back to back after the White Sox are beating them down. Riske hits Chris Duncan the next inning so LaRussa & Dave Duncan cry and complain.

STL 6 White Sox 20 Final!

The final game of the series the White Sox are 1 hit but win 1-0 on a Thome solo HR!
Old 10-22-2013, 01:02 PM
WSI Personality

My BOS dislike comes from chc fans wearing Red Cubs gear into U.S. Cellular Field. It's a fact because I work with a few of them and attended a group outing with them!
Old 10-22-2013, 05:19 PM
WSI Regular

I couldn't agree more with the people who say they can't root for either team. This is one time I wish it was possible to have two losers.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:32 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertks61 View Post
http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00606200.shtml

Here is one reason I dislike STL. Ponson hits Anderson & Ozuna back to back after the White Sox are beating them down. Riske hits Chris Duncan the next inning so LaRussa & Dave Duncan cry and complain.

STL 6 White Sox 20 Final!

The final game of the series the White Sox are 1 hit but win 1-0 on a Thome solo HR!
Didn't the Cardinals accuse the Sox of stealing all of their signs that series and that was why they scored so many runs?
Old 10-22-2013, 05:50 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
My BOS dislike comes from chc fans wearing Red Cubs gear into U.S. Cellular Field. It's a fact because I work with a few of them and attended a group outing with them!
I remember the early 2000s where Cubs fans felt some sort of bond with the Red Sox. And yes, pleny of northsiders loved to wear BoSox stuff to our stadium. Then Boston wins two World Series and has consistent success while the Cubs are still the Cubs. I'm pretty sure real Red Sox fans don't give two ****s about the Cubbies.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo_the_wolf View Post
Didn't the Cardinals accuse the Sox of stealing all of their signs that series and that was why they scored so many runs?
Well Larussa knows the ins and outs of cheating. His teams were expert at it...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-22-2013, 06:56 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Well Larussa knows the ins and outs of cheating. His teams were expert at it...
As opposed to the Roid Sox?
Old 10-22-2013, 06:56 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxFann View Post
I remember the early 2000s where Cubs fans felt some sort of bond with the Red Sox. And yes, pleny of northsiders loved to wear BoSox stuff to our stadium. Then Boston wins two World Series and has consistent success while the Cubs are still the Cubs. I'm pretty sure real Red Sox fans don't give two ****s about the Cubbies.
That's what is so funny. Cubs fans think they have a kinship with Boston, but Boston fans don't give a **** about them.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:13 PM
WSI Guru

An old friend of mine works at an Army medical research lab in the Boston area, and said she was invited on to the field for a pre-game ceremony tomorrow night.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
My favorite Sox game I've ever been to. It was like restitution for Freddy Garcia losing the 1-0 one-hitter in Minnesota the year before. He was even on the mound that night.

Cardinal Nation was well represented, especially since it was Pujols' first game back from an injury. Only 2 hours long too. Wish they were all like that.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:07 PM
WSI High Priest

I pull for the AL. Boston Strong.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

I will root for the Cardinals (mostly due to geographic proximity, but also because it pisses off the Cubs fans I know), though I won't be too upset if Boston wins. After all, they were considerate enough to dispatch the Detroit Tigers just in time for me to attend an annual teachers' convention with several hundred Michigan educators. Last year (and 2006 as well) was a frickin' nightmare...

"Gogh Gogh White Sox!"
Old 10-23-2013, 09:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Listening to people on this site, we may as well root for "meteor!" for pretty much every World Series matchup. NYY or Bos? Can't blame anyone for hating them. Philly? Worst fans in sports! Tampa Bay? Fans don't support their team and don't deserve a title. Texas? Nolan Ryan is an ass. St. Louis? Smug fans! Pirates? Can't root for them because we hate Steelers fans. ...and so forth.

At some point, it gets ridiculous and you're left with just "hating" pretty much every WS team each year instead of enjoying the Fall Classic.

I think the only teams I would actively root against in a World Series are the Yankees, Red Sox, and (if they ever made it) the Cubs.