White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 02:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABP View Post
So? His OBP is barely above .300, and is a terrible fielder. Josh Fields had 23 hrs his rookie year and look how he turned out
He tries to kill the ball. Viciedo is easily manipulated by decent to good pitching. Sure, he's going hit the hell out of the ball sometimes, but if he wants to improve some major adjustments are in order. As you indicated he is a poor defender. The guy just has to hit better.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
Well when you only have $0.50 to spend, people start to worry about spending $0.40 on one person. I think we'd all love uncapped spending, but we're fans of the wrong team for that. I am happy with the signing, but if you think Hahn won't be able to do anything else because all of the free agent budget was spent on one unproven guy, I could see where people won't care for it.
Yet no one has said the Sox are done after this signing because they ran out of money. Anyone complaining because they THINK the Sox are out of money are simply complaining because that's who they are.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:34 PM
WSI High Priest

One of my life sayings is always 100% accurate. It doesn't matter how good of a job you do or what you do in general, someone is going to complain about something...

I have no idea if this is a good signing or not. I've never seen him play. It might work out, and it might work out. Guess what? That's how EVERY single player transaction works in sports. It's entertainment. Watch and enjoy or don't watch and do something else...
Old 10-18-2013, 02:38 PM
WSI Personality

This is the most exciting White Sox Free Agent signing since Albert Bell. Rather than worrying about how someone else spends their money Sox fans should just be sitting back and enjoying the ride. This signing has generated a lot of national media coverage. The only reason why I can imagine Sox fans being upset about this signing is because this signing temporarily precludes them from complaining about the massive media conspiracy against the Sox and their fans.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
One of my life sayings is always 100% accurate. It doesn't matter how good of a job you do or what you do in general, someone is going to complain about something...

I have no idea if this is a good signing or not. I've never seen him play. It might work out, and it might work out. Guess what? That's how EVERY single player transaction works in sports. It's entertainment. Watch and enjoy or don't watch and do something else...
Win-win!
Old 10-18-2013, 04:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Win-win!
Yogi would've been proud.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Not much of a write up on the Trib. Seems Solor got more attention.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
On a related note, when did this board start getting obsessed with winning the Fiscal Responsibility Championship? I think it was three years ago. Every contract seems to be too big for some posters, regardless of what the actual market has shifted to dictate.
It's not because we care about JR's profits, it's because we've seen them make bad long-term investments in expensive veterans and then whine about not having cash to spend.

If Abreu lives up to his billing, it's a great investment, but we said that about Dunn and Peavy and Rios and Danks.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
Nah. He's not great, but statistically, he's pretty much exactly league average.
If things like base-running, on base percentage, and defense didn't matter, you might have a point. But overall, he's probably one of the half dozen worst regulars in baseball for the second straight year.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:56 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
Yet no one has said the Sox are done after this signing because they ran out of money. Anyone complaining because they THINK the Sox are out of money are simply complaining because that's who they are.
True. This is just the tip of the iceburg, I bet they spend much bigger dollars on a catcher and maybe another one or two free agents.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:20 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
If Cuba equates to high-A ball as one of the articles suggested, is it the best idea to toss this guy right in the MLB pool, or do the Sox let him hit some in the minors to start next year? And if that's the case, is Keppinger our opening day first baseman? Just thoughts rollin' around the ol' noggin.
Cespedes went straight to the Majors, so I'd imagine Abreu will be the opening day starter at 1B. It wouldn't be too big of a stretch to expect him to be the best hitter on the team from day 1, as well.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
It's not because we care about JR's profits, it's because we've seen them make bad long-term investments in expensive veterans and then whine about not having cash to spend.

If Abreu lives up to his billing, it's a great investment, but we said that about Dunn and Peavy and Rios and Danks.
Using that line of thinking then the Sox should never try to make a big signing and excuse it because of the risk they don't live up to their billing. Would that make us happy?
Old 10-18-2013, 08:10 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
Cespedes went straight to the Majors, so I'd imagine Abreu will be the opening day starter at 1B. It wouldn't be too big of a stretch to expect him to be the best hitter on the team from day 1, as well.
Unfortunately, that wouldn't take much.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:17 PM
WSI High Priest

I think about a lineup of Abreu 1st/dh, PK(in his swan song year) 1st/dh, Beckham 2nd, Ramierz SS, Keppinger 3rd (you pay him/ you play him), Dunn (slimmed down, best shape of life for contract year) LF, A. Garcia CF, Viciedo (RF), Who Cares C.

It gives me cold sweats.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Abreu (1B), Garcia (RF) and E. Johnson (SP)- all nice additions since July- and giving the franchise some life.

CF/Lead Off man is tops on my wish list-
MLB Parks Visited: 24
MiLB Parks Visited: 11