White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 08:53 AM
WSI Prelate

Reading these posts the sox just will never win with this dumb ass fanbase.

A move that probably 29 other teams in baseball would celebrate and all the negative nitpicking here is ridiculous.

Sure Sox, please go back to spreading out cash to washed up stop gap veterans that are great at not a single aspect of baseball, but please spread the cash so you can get 3-4 of these bumbs just to please everyone by putting a name at every position.

Ridiculous.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

I came here and expected a little more negativity. Happy to see many with a pretty level head about the move.

Who knows how it'll turn out? Regardless, I love the attempt and I can't complain about trying. I just hope he is enough of a threat to show patience at the plate. Although as is said, "No one walks their way off the island."

Oh, and for as much love as Cespedes gets in these articles I'm reading today (I know, I know, he is a plus OF and decent baserunner too), his offensive year was very Viciedo-like.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:04 AM
WSI High Priest

I don't get the base-clogger thing.

Thomas, Konerko (in his prime), Magglio and Thome all hit for average.

As much as I want to see the Sox as more a speed/OBP team, we're still going to need run producers. The key being guys who can do more with the bat than just pull the ball out of the park.

As long as we're not loaded down by one dimensional sluggers like Dunn and Viciedo, we're moving in the right direction.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:20 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Works for me. Have to wait and see if he can hit MLB pitching consistently, but if he's willing to put in the time and effort the Sox are a good fit, not only because they have need at 1B but because they have two other Cubans on the team which will facilitate communication and allow him to get comfortable sooner.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-18-2013, 09:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Jim Thome, Edgar Martinez, David Ortiz and Miguel Cabrera were/are all base-cloggers, **** those guys.
After this year, we all know that there is very little excitement with this team. Considering how terrible the first baseman market is this year, they got the best guy. Not only will this generate some excitement, but they get someone to build around.
Getting some actual thunder in our lineup is a must. They didn't have anyone to drive in runs. If Abreu is as advertised, he can consistently knock in more than a 110 runs. As long as they teach him how to lay off a slider, this is worth the risk.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'm not sure why anybody wouldn't be excited. Like always, the Sox have to be creative to be competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 10-18-2013, 09:57 AM
WSI High Priest

I like this move by Hahn. The Sox just added an asset without losing any young prospects. It gives the Sox more flexibility in the offseason to look into moving Dunn, possibly. If not in the offseason, then in July.

Soxpark is a homer park, so you better have some power hitters when you play 81 games there.
When have the Sox been good in the last couple of decades? When they hit homers.

James Loney was the one guy I would not have minded the Sox look into, but Jose will do.

As for base-clogging....the Sox will have good speed on the field in Alexei, Conner, Gordo, Avasail, Alejandro, and Phegley, with only Dayan being average speed along with Dunn......that lineup is one of the fastest in recent memory.

My concern remains just getting more high-average hitters in the lineup.

Word in that one article is that Jose is in the best shape of his pro baseball life....so he might surprise some of the experts, athletically.

Good day for the Sox!
Old 10-18-2013, 09:58 AM
WSI Regular

There will always be nitpickers and pessimists with every signing we make. The ones that will be the first to tell you I told you so when someone doesn't work out. me, I'm excited. Got to take some risks here and there and the upside on this guy is fantastic. To dare is to do.

Supporter of The Sox, Bulls, Bears, Blackhawks, and The Fightin' Irish
Old 10-18-2013, 10:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

The alternatives are 3 years of Morales, Granderson, Wilkins or Black. I'll take 6 prime years from this guy, even if he's somewhat unknown. I know Granderson kind of sucks. I know Morales lacks power and isn't an impact player.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Dayan is 24 years old, it is way too early to label him a "mediocre" hitter.
The Gordon Beckham defense!

The guys been a regular for what, three years now? It's time to let it go. It would be one thing if he were steadily improving. But not only is he not, he's among the worst players in the league. Lots of guys are young. Doesn't mean they'll ever hit.

On the signing...I love it. I know a lot of scouts are down on him and think he'll be Viciedo at the plate (and yes, they mean that as a negative). But they haven't seen him much, and lots of bad things were said about Puig too. Fact is, Abreu was the best hitter in Cuba consistently. It's a decent gamble that could pay off tremendously.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleghenySoxFan View Post
There will always be nitpickers and pessimists with every signing we make. The ones that will be the first to tell you I told you so when someone doesn't work out. me, I'm excited. Got to take some risks here and there and the upside on this guy is fantastic. To dare is to do.

Exactly! The same folks nitpicking would be the ones complaining had it been reported the Sox were a finalist but didn't get him.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

This is something to be excited about at least. Looking forward to watching Abreu and Garcia in the lineup next year.

I doubt this would happen but I'd love if the Sox could trade Dunn in the off season and re-sign Konerko for 1 more year to be a DH/part time 1B.

The Sox aren't going to win next year anyways (Unless they can somehow get themselves and MLB catcher, a third baseman, a short stop, and a lead off hitter/ CF....) So I'd much rather get to watch Paulie in a Sox uniform one more year than to watch Adam Dunn start the season hitting .149 and then get "hot" when the Sox are out of it and finish with a .211 avg. Then listen to him complain about how he's "Not having fun"
Old 10-18-2013, 10:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
The Gordon Beckham defense!

The guys been a regular for what, three years now? It's time to let it go. It would be one thing if he were steadily improving. But not only is he not, he's among the worst players in the league. Lots of guys are young. Doesn't mean they'll ever hit.

On the signing...I love it. I know a lot of scouts are down on him and think he'll be Viciedo at the plate (and yes, they mean that as a negative). But they haven't seen him much, and lots of bad things were said about Puig too. Fact is, Abreu was the best hitter in Cuba consistently. It's a decent gamble that could pay off tremendously.
Don't lump Viciedo in with Beckham. He's consistently been better. He's played parts of 2 years, 1 full year and 1 injury plagued year where he got 470 PA's. Lets release the 24 year old with 275/30 potential. We definitely can afford that luxury. It's not like we're rebuilding.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
This is something to be excited about at least. Looking forward to watching Abreu and Garcia in the lineup next year.

I doubt this would happen but I'd love if the Sox could trade Dunn in the off season and re-sign Konerko for 1 more year to be a DH/part time 1B.

The Sox aren't going to win next year anyways (Unless they can somehow get themselves and MLB catcher, a third baseman, a short stop, and a lead off hitter/ CF....) So I'd much rather get to watch Paulie in a Sox uniform one more year than to watch Adam Dunn start the season hitting .149 and then get "hot" when the Sox are out of it and finish with a .211 avg. Then listen to him complain about how he's "Not having fun"
Why would you get rid of Dunn and keep Konerko? Dunn is a much better hitter and is LH.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:12 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Don't lump Viciedo in with Beckham. He's consistently been better. He's played parts of 2 years, 1 full year and 1 injury plagued year where he got 470 PA's. Lets release the 24 year old with 275/30 potential. We definitely can afford that luxury. It's not like we're rebuilding.
Viciedo is a bigger liability in the field than Beckham is in the batters box. Dump both of them; We've seen enough.

#teamshield