White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2013, 10:22 PM
WSI Personality

I have heard scouts are saying he is at the floor level a Ryan Howard and ceiling Miguel Cabrera . If he turns out anything like Puig , Cespedes , etc. , and the Sox are set at 1B for many years this is a steal. Big props to Hahn if he seals the deał. Free agents this year are less than stellar by the way which is a big reason he is getting paid. Scouts saying This guy has amazing power.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltrain21 View Post
I like the signing, but how exactly is he "MLB proven?"
My bad, I meant MLB ready
Old 10-17-2013, 10:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
I have heard scouts are saying he is at the floor level a Ryan Howard and ceiling Miguel Cabrera . If he turns out anything like Puig , Cespedes , etc. , and the Sox are set at 1B for many years this is a steal. Big props to Hahn if he seals the deał. Free agents this year are less than stellar by the way. Scouts saying This guy has amazing power.
Floor level of Ryan Howard is probably way too optimistic, but I agree with the jist of your post. There were no good options at 1B on the free agent market, there certainly were no good options in our farm system.

Jose Abreu is much better than the black hole penciled in for 1B before this signing.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 10-17-2013, 10:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Very nice. We could really use a nice 1-2 punch with him and Avisail. Hopefully, that's the case.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Oh man, I am can't wait to see him in a Sox uniform. Hoping we will be set at 1b for the next 6 years.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:38 PM
WSI Personality

A lot of teams who have seen this guy work out have seen fit to offer him way more money than the other Cuban players like Puig and Cespedes , the pitcher from Miami , Fernandez I think.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Im just looking for players that will make this club different than its been. Whos out there? Probably no one than fits the mold I want. Im really tired of the slow, no field thumpers that have infested the Sox for quite a few years. What Im afraid of is that this signing will just be the start of the Sox continuing to get the type of players that havent worked in the past.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:41 PM
WSI Personality

I'm hoping having Abreu will wake something up in Viciedo, I'm not sure if they already played together in Cuba..

"I give you five minutes when we get there. Anything happens in that five minutes and I'm yours. No matter what. Anything a minute on either side of that and you're on your own. I don't sit in while you're running it down. I don't carry a gun. I drive."
Old 10-17-2013, 10:46 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai_sox View Post
I'm hoping having Abreu will wake something up in Viciedo, I'm not sure if they already played together in Cuba..
I don't think there's anything to be woken up, he's just a mediocre hitter. Hopefully strengthening the lineup will have him see better pitches.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Im just looking for players that will make this club different than its been. Whos out there? Probably no one than fits the mold I want. Im really tired of the slow, no field thumpers that have infested the Sox for quite a few years. What Im afraid of is that this signing will just be the start of the Sox continuing to get the type of players that havent worked in the past.
I just want a couple of guys who can hit the damn ball. It's no guarantee, but it seems like this guy will be able to do that.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I don't think there's anything to be woken up, he's just a mediocre hitter.
Dayan is 24 years old, it is way too early to label him a "mediocre" hitter.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 10-17-2013, 10:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
The thing is, he's a first baseman. If there's one position on the field where you want a slugger, even if he can't field at all, it's first base. I guess I could understand your complaint almost anywhere else on the field, but how many teams have a speedy, slick-fielding, soft-hitting first baseman?
Old 10-17-2013, 11:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
The thing is, he's a first baseman. If there's one position on the field where you want a slugger, even if he can't field at all, it's first base. I guess I could understand your complaint almost anywhere else on the field, but how many teams have a speedy, slick-fielding, soft-hitting first baseman?
I dont know if he can play 1st, he could be a 26 year old DH. Btw I did like Jim Spencer.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Im really tired of the slow, no field thumpers that have infested the Sox for quite a few years.
Although I agree that this team needs to play much better defense, it still needs some "thumpers". 148 home runs last year was an absolute embarrassment considering the stadium we play in.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:03 PM
WSI Personality

I don't know enough about Abreu to know if this worth the gamble, but fact that several other teams were in on this guy has my hopes. I am glad the Sox are being aggressive and Hahn is not just sitting back. Hopefully he can pick up a couple more pieces this offseason.

Anticipated next game: 4/26 vs. Tampa Bay