White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 01:45 PM
WSI Regular

I turned the game off because I had no intention of watching the Cubs secure a World Series berth. Then my uncle, who isn't really a baseball fan, called and asked if I was watching the game and told me the Cubs were losing. I turned the game back on during that inning and watched all of game 7. It was glorious watching that team fall apart. Then to top it off after they came so close 2 years later the Sox won the World Series.

And with CSN, way to be late to the party. The ESPN Catching Hell film was really good and made you feel sorry for Bartman and what he went through that night and in the time since. I can't imagine CSN will even come close to the quality of that one.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Everybody's All-American

It's just sad this man is still having to relive this. No one knows the names of the other two guys going for that ball that night. Just pitiful he got the blame for it, even though, as has been mentioned, Gonzalez let that dP grounder go through his legs, or that Wood couldn't win Game 7. I felt really bad for the guy.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 10-14-2013, 03:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Nope.

This was.
I remember exactly where I was for that grand slam. Great call - I stand corrected.

Isn't it great that we remember games in the middle of the season in a sport with 162 games per year? All I needed to do was see the score when I clicked on that and I knew exactly what it was.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-14-2013, 03:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

I remember working way late that night, and was racing to catch the 9:45 Rock Island. From the time I left work (City Hall) until the time I got to LaSalle Street station, the Marlins had scored the eight runs. It was the first time I remember being inundated with texts ( back in the day you had to press the 2 three times to make a C.)

I had standing room tickets the next day for game 7 and was busted by a SunTimes reporter, who knew me from work, for taking pictures of distraught Cub fans.

Some of my richest baseball memories.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

I gotta say that the Chicago and National media coverage of that series caused my Cub hatred to reach its zenith. All the footage of the fans on the streets outside Wrigley acting like, well; acting like we all would have if the same thing had been going on at ballpark on 35th Street. I was truly seething for almost a week straight. Total Rage Mode. And then pfftt. Gone.

Since the Sox won the WS in 2005, my contempt for the Cubs and the total Cub Experience has mellowed. Maybe I'm just getting charitable in my old[er] age.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Nope.

This was.

I'll go with this one:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...98309170.shtml

And this one:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...99309270.shtml
Old 10-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I remember exactly where I was for that grand slam. Great call - I stand corrected.

Isn't it great that we remember games in the middle of the season in a sport with 162 games per year? All I needed to do was see the score when I clicked on that and I knew exactly what it was.
I was in the LF Corner. It will be forever known as "the Robin Ventura game" in my book. It was my most memorable Comiskey moment until I attended Game II of the 2005 World Series.

Since I was at the game, I did not hear Hawk endow a new nickname that night on a certain Sox player he started calling "The Big Hurt."

All hail The Rick
Old 10-14-2013, 06:02 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I was in the LF Corner. It will be forever known as "the Robin Ventura game" in my book. It was my most memorable Comiskey moment until I attended Game II of the 2005 World Series.

Since I was at the game, I did not hear Hawk endow a new nickname that night on a certain Sox player he started calling "The Big Hurt."
Definitely the best New Comiskey game in its first 15 years. I still have my original VHS tape of the game. Saw it live when it happened and then taped the replay on SportsChannel, which they used to re-run overnight.

2014 Attendance Record: 3-3, 0.500
Old 10-14-2013, 06:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Man, 10 years. I was at the old Oasis 160 concert venue in Chicago Heights that night. I was meeting up with some girl and trying to impress her or something. As I was walking out I looked up at the screen and saw the Cubs were winning going into the 8th. I actually said out loud to myself "Well, I'm going to have to accept that the Cubs are going to the World Series"

I then turned on q101 on the way home so I didn't have to hear anything about it. Then at some point on my drive home one of the DJs said "Oh man, something really bad is going down at Wrigley." I assumed their fans tore the stadium down out of celebration, he then went on to describe what happened. I watched sportscenter over and over that night.

Then after game 7 my smart ass friend and I were given the cold shoulder at every sports store in Orland Square mall when we asked for Marlins hats.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

As my Purple Line train went past Addison tonight, I was looking at how quiet everything was considering that at that point in time ten years ago (6:30 or so), the area was overrun with bedlam and high hopes that would not get crushed.

Ten years ago today, I was waiting to find out if I was buying a Red Sox or Yankees' uniform. One of my friends and I decided to swollow hard and buy the complete uniform of whatever team the Cubs faced in the World Series.

Thank goodness I did not have to put that **** on by body.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:45 PM
WSI Village Atheist

We had celebrated FJ Jr's 9th birthday earlier that day, but I just remember feeling sicker and sicker to my stomach as the innings wore on and it looked like the Sox were going be buried in a flurry of Cub-dumb. And then lightning struck, and I went to sleep a very happy man.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
It's just sad this man is still having to relive this. No one knows the names of the other two guys going for that ball that night. Just pitiful he got the blame for it, even though, as has been mentioned, Gonzalez let that dP grounder go through his legs, or that Wood couldn't win Game 7. I felt really bad for the guy.
I always thought Bartman was unjustly blamed. In fact I think as many as six people were reaching for the ball.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:19 PM
WSI Regular

It almost made me sick when nearly everyone involved with the cub franchise ended up blaming a fan for costing them the WS. I just don't understand how reasonable people could possibly blame that fan. Also, I've been in those seats. Catching a foul ball there is not a foregone conclusion. I doubt if Moises Alou could have made that catch in the first place.

Also, some of you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Cheering for the cubs to blow a playoff series is almost as bad as ancient Romans cheering for the lions while they tore apart Christians.

However, it was nice to hear the same cub fans who blamed the fan whine and wail about AJ in 2005.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxFann View Post
I turned the game off because I had no intention of watching the Cubs secure a World Series berth. Then my uncle, who isn't really a baseball fan, called and asked if I was watching the game and told me the Cubs were losing.
Me too. And then, I get a call from a friend in Minneapolis (!) asking me if I am loving this collapse. Glorious in epicness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
Especially the lucky SOB who actually got the baseball and auctioned it off for over $100K to the dufus at Harry Caray's to spice up their spaghetti sauce, while maintaining his anonymity.

SMO

Edit: After seeing the Rangers get within one strike of the World Series, TWICE, getting within 5 outs is just meh.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Burg View Post
It almost made me sick when nearly everyone involved with the cub franchise ended up blaming a fan for costing them the WS. I just don't understand how reasonable people could possibly blame that fan. Also, I've been in those seats. Catching a foul ball there is not a foregone conclusion. I doubt if Moises Alou could have made that catch in the first place.

Also, some of you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Cheering for the cubs to blow a playoff series is almost as bad as ancient Romans cheering for the lions while they tore apart Christians.

However, it was nice to hear the same cub fans who blamed the fan whine and wail about AJ in 2005.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Give me a break!

SMO