White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who wins the ALCS?
Boston Red Sox 9 31.03%
Detroit Tigers 7 24.14%
Go Meteor! 13 44.83%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2013, 10:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Joe West will have a one game lead after tonight.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:40 PM
WSI Regular

I feel like the Tigers are going to lose in the World Series again, but I would prefer a meteor.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

I dislike West as much as the next guy, but he's actually had a pretty decent night. The Red Sox constant bitching is extremely tiring, though.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut1018 View Post
I dislike West as much as the next guy, but he's actually had a pretty decent night. The Red Sox constant bitching is extremely tiring, though.
I started watching in the 7th and as much as it pains me to admit, I thought he did a pretty good job.

This has been a great post-season. I hope both series go 7.

Go Sox!!!
Old 10-12-2013, 11:22 PM
WSI High Priest

What's the best game? C'mon, say it. It'll be gone in a few weeks and I'll miss it.

Yeah, West was OK. On the borderline pitch that K'ed Pedroia he was right, but he was wrong on ball 2 of that at bat that was a strike. Fox games use the strike zone graphic very sparingly so someone can look it up. Maybe I'm seeing wrong.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:40 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
What's the best game? C'mon, say it. It'll be gone in a few weeks and I'll miss it.

Yeah, West was OK. On the borderline pitch that K'ed Pedroia he was right, but he was wrong on ball 2 of that at bat that was a strike. Fox games use the strike zone graphic very sparingly so someone can look it up. Maybe I'm seeing wrong.
The only one I thought he missed for sure was the Lester pitch early in the game. But, as soon as Lester walked over after the inning and did the whole "I'm not showing you up, even thought I'm showing you up" bit, I knew Boston wouldn't get another close call the entire night, which serves them right. The Ortiz and Victorino whining gets old quickly.

2013 Attendance Record: 7-9, .438
Old 10-12-2013, 11:46 PM
MMXXIII

1st day in MLB post-season history there were 2 1-0 games.

This would have been the 1st combined no-hitter in postseason history and third overall (Larsen, Halladay). Only one other time has a postseason no-hitter been broken up in the 9th inning, Game 4 of the 1947 World Series:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...94710030.shtml

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 10-13-2013, 12:04 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
1st day in MLB post-season history there were 2 1-0 games.

This would have been the 1st combined no-hitter in postseason history and third overall (Larsen, Halladay). Only one other time has a postseason no-hitter been broken up in the 9th inning, Game 4 of the 1947 World Series:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...94710030.shtml
Holy moley! Bevins allowed one hit but TEN walks!

Wasn't there another World Series game between the Dodgers and Yankees where someone had a no-hitter going into the 9th but there was a dropped third strike and it allowed the runner to get on first and the next pitch was a base hit? I thought it was in 1941 but I might be making something up.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Go Meteor!
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 10-13-2013, 12:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Holy moley! Bevins allowed one hit but TEN walks!

Wasn't there another World Series game between the Dodgers and Yankees where someone had a no-hitter going into the 9th but there was a dropped third strike and it allowed the runner to get on first and the next pitch was a base hit? I thought it was in 1941 but I might be making something up.
I know the game you're talking about, but it wasn't a no-hitter. The Dodgers were up 4-3 with two outs in the 9th when Hugh Casey threw a third strike that Mickey Owen dropped, allowing Tommy Heinrich to reach 1st base. The Yankees then proceeded to ring up a 7-4 lead, which they held. Owen was labeled the "goat" but much later Casey admitted that the pitch he threw was an illegal spitball.
"Message to all WSIers who think that Thomas will be a first-or-second ballot Hall of Famer-with guys like Telander holding the "Keys to the Kingdom" and openly campaigning against the DH-I will be kind and say You Are Dreaming. Thomas and his supporters are going to have to shout his case from the rooftops before the BBWAA finally gets the message. " -Some Dope on WSI, 2/13/2010. Whoops, that was me.
Then again, I think I have a promising career as a TV psychic. John Edward, watch out!
Old 10-13-2013, 12:54 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

FOX Sports: MLB ‏@MLBONFOX 1h

Game 2 of the ALCS coming to your TV after @NFLONFOX at 8pm ET on FOX! DET looks to make it a 2-0 lead & BOS tries to even it up #postseason
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 10-13-2013, 01:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut1018 View Post
Tell me about it. Aesthetically speaking, doing it with those beards makes it even more irritating. They cried from start to finish last night; such a sense of entitlement.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydude View Post
Tell me about it. Aesthetically speaking, doing it with those beards makes it even more irritating. They cried from start to finish last night; such a sense of entitlement.
Many of their fans are the same way.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:51 PM
WSI Personality

Not watching the ALCS, primarily because of Joe Buck. What can I say, the guy has ruined postseason baseball for me. The sound of his voice legitimately angers me.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
Not watching the ALCS, primarily because of Joe Buck. What can I say, the guy has ruined postseason baseball for me. The sound of his voice legitimately angers me.
There is a mute button. You missed a great game last night.