White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 03:20 PM
WSI High Priest

IMO, you can never have too much pitching. If a pitcher happens to be the best guy on the board, go ahead and get him. The Sox don't need to get themselves in trouble by drafting inferior talent to fill a need. There are plenty of picks to go around, but they really need to hit on this #3 pick.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:45 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
OK, dude, the two picks you reference were at least in the mid-30th round if not later.
In the words of my favorite lumberjack, Dexter Morgan, don't 'dude' me.

Of course, the Sox draft woes revolve more around the early round disasters than the nepotism picks, but it sure seems the Sox drink at this well more than most teams. Schueler's daughter, Baines's kid, Ozzie's kid, Williams' kid, Parent's kid. Granted it's not the biggest problem they face, but it is the most easily remedied.

And if you weren't such a smugass ****, maybe this forum might be a more pleasant site to frequent.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:42 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburaga View Post
In the words of my favorite lumberjack, Dexter Morgan, don't 'dude' me.

Of course, the Sox draft woes revolve more around the early round disasters than the nepotism picks, but it sure seems the Sox drink at this well more than most teams. Schueler's daughter, Baines's kid, Ozzie's kid, Williams' kid, Parent's kid. Granted it's not the biggest problem they face, but it is the most easily remedied.

And if you weren't such a smugass ****, maybe this forum might be a more pleasant site to frequent.
Chillax, bro, all those picks you reference were at least 20-30 rounds into the draft, not only is this not the biggest problem they face, it's probably also the least important. Oh no, the Sox burned a 36th round pick on Nick Parent, the horror!

Last edited by doublem23; 10-09-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Chillax, bro, all those picks you reference were at least 20-30 rounds into the draft, not only is this not the biggest problem they face, it's probably also the least important. Oh no, the Sox burned a 36th round pick on Nick Parent, the horror!
Generally I agree with your argument, but for clarification, Williams' kid was a 6th rounder. Not that it really matters though.

Risk

"Is minic a ghearr teanga duine a scornach"-(Celtic)
"it is often that a person's tongue cut his throat"
Old 10-09-2013, 09:31 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risk View Post
Generally I agree with your argument, but for clarification, Williams' kid was a 6th rounder. Not that it really matters though.

Risk
No doubt, you are correct, I can tolerate criticism of the Ken Williams, Jr. pick but not if you're going to lump them all in one ball.

FWIW, it's not like the Sox whiffed on some game changer in the 2008 Draft. A quick glance shows the best player taken after Williams appears to be Andy Dirks.

If we're going to talk about what the Sox need to fix in terms of their brutally bad drafting and developing, I'll pick "Stop blowing early round draft picks on worthless players" 8 days a week before I pick "Nepotism in the 40th round"

Just my
Old 10-10-2013, 09:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

If we're going to talk about what the Sox need to fix in terms of their brutally bad drafting and developing, I'll pick "Stop blowing early round draft picks on worthless players" 8 days a week before I pick "Nepotism in the 40th round"

Just my
That's a perfectly reasonable position.

Risk
Old 10-24-2013, 09:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Since we probably won't have a shot at Rodon, Tyler Beede is on top of my wishlist.

2014 MLB Draft Profile: Tyler Beede, RHP, Vanderbilt

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 10-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Banned

Here's ESPN's top 30 list. Insider required. http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post?id=1177
Old 10-30-2013, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Since we probably won't have a shot at Rodon, Tyler Beede is on top of my wishlist.

2014 MLB Draft Profile: Tyler Beede, RHP, Vanderbilt
For the second round, you mean? He's probably a mid-late first rounder, but there's no way we should be taking him at 3. I know his velocity went up, but his control is pretty bad. He's not the kind of guy you take if you're drafting that high, especially in a draft with four or five other pitchers that have been throwing hard with the entire package. It's a good draft. No reason to reach.

I'd like to see us grab Alex Jackson. I know a lot of people see him moving positions, but if he sticks behind the plate he'd solve a lot for us. And that bat's gonna play no matter where he ends up.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
For the second round, you mean? He's probably a mid-late first rounder, but there's no way we should be taking him at 3. I know his velocity went up, but his control is pretty bad. He's not the kind of guy you take if you're drafting that high, especially in a draft with four or five other pitchers that have been throwing hard with the entire package. It's a good draft. No reason to reach.

I'd like to see us grab Alex Jackson. I know a lot of people see him moving positions, but if he sticks behind the plate he'd solve a lot for us. And that bat's gonna play no matter where he ends up.
I think Beede is going to dominate this year. Vandy has a good track record of developing pitchers and he's got plenty to work with. If he doesn't show significant improvement in his control, then I agree that you don't take him with the 3rd overall pick. But I think the kid is going to be a total stud.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:58 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post

(1) The list you posted is one of the rare times Beede has been outside of the top 5-10 picks. Beede has a chance to be special if he can get the command back.

(2) Just a quick note, your ESPN article was written by my buddy Chris! Awesome to see him rising!
Old 10-31-2013, 04:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
(1) The list you posted is one of the rare times Beede has been outside of the top 5-10 picks. Beede has a chance to be special if he can get the command back.

(2) Just a quick note, your ESPN article was written by my buddy Chris! Awesome to see him rising!
That's if he gets his command back. I am, or was a big fan of his coming into this year but his struggles with control is not what you want to see from your overall #3 pick.

I'll second the Jackson pick though....he could be a special player offensively even if he moves off catcher. A lot can happen in the 8 months before the draft though.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 10-31-2013, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
That's if he gets his command back. I am, or was a big fan of his coming into this year but his struggles with control is not what you want to see from your overall #3 pick.

I'll second the Jackson pick though....he could be a special player offensively even if he moves off catcher. A lot can happen in the 8 months before the draft though.
Agreed. Nothing against Beede, if we were talking later in the draft his velocity is a great value. But it's a total red flag when you're picking that early, there are prospects with just as high a ceiling with no red flags.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:53 PM
New At WSI

As of right now, my top choices would be

1. Carlos Rodon LHP
2. Jacob Gatewood SS
3. Trea Turner SS/CF
4. Alex Jackson C
5. Tyler Beede RHP
Old 11-07-2013, 06:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

Why so many people picking pitching in this thread? This team needs bats, if anything.

2014 PtC Score: 1