White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 09:58 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

With the Sox pitching if they can improve their defense and add some offense they really can contend.

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

He will turn 33 in Spring Training next year. No thanks.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Made $15M in 2013. Got any spare change?
Old 10-08-2013, 01:11 AM
WSI Guru

I'll be among the evil people that doesn't want Granderson at any price.

33 years old, coming off an injury-plagued season, struck out way too much even when he was healthy. Pass.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 10-08-2013, 01:21 AM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
He will turn 33 in Spring Training next year. No thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post

33 years old, coming off an injury-plagued season, struck out way too much even when he was healthy. Pass.
Add me to this list as well.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 10-08-2013, 02:02 AM
WSI Prelate

Let's go pay big money for a declining veteran who has an OBP in free-fall. Sounds like a Williams move of this era.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:26 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Let's go pay big money for a declining veteran who has an OBP in free-fall. Sounds like a Williams move of this era.
It is *total* White Sox. New GM, same **** organizational philosophy. Perhaps I have another season of not caring at all coming my way. It did help my fantasy baseball teams - and my wallet.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-08-2013, 10:34 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post

I'll play Devil's Advocate and say that I would bring him in if he is reduced to a 2-year, maybe option for a third, style contract. The pendulum in baseball has swung so far toward developing and protecting one's own prospects that sometimes veteran players are undervalued.

I don't want the Sox to get in a bidding war with another team and ink him to a long-term deal, but maybe Curtis finds his prospects less enticing than expected and maybe he'd take a shorter deal at a HR-friendly, small OF (good for defense) park where he can reestablish himself as a big name bat and try to get one last nice contract before he calls it a career. It's not like there's this bevy of young OF talent waiting to crack the big leagues in our farm system, the best near ready OF prospect we have is Trayce Thompson who, in a perfect world, might be ready for a September call up in 2014.

The Sox have plenty of payroll to work with, if you can get something that's kind of team-friendly, that's low-risk, high-reward stuff... And who knows, maybe you can even flip him at the trade deadline in July for some more minor league material. I mean, really, do people want to spend a full season with De Aza, Danks, and Viciedo getting a heavy share of OF playing time? *Shudder*
Old 10-08-2013, 10:38 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Here's the list of potential FA outfielders from Cots:

Alfredo Amezaga, Rick Ankiel, Norichika Aoki, Jeff Baker, Jason Bay, Carlos Beltran, Shin-Soo Choo, Coco Crisp, Nelson Cruz, Rajai Davis, David Dejesus, Mark DeRosa, Matt Diaz, Jacoby Ellsbury, Jeff Francoeur, Curtis Granderson, Franklin Gutierrez, Tony Gwynn Jr., Corey Hart, Raul Ibanez, Reed Johnson, Austin Kearns, Jason Kubel, Nate McLouth, Nyjer Morgan, Mike Morse, David Murphy, Xavier Nady, Laynce Nix, Hunter Pence, Juan Rivera, Luke Scott, Ryan Sweeney, Andres Torres, Chris Young, Delmon Young

Not exactly a Murderer's Row. Unless, of course, you're good with Dayan Viciedo and Jordan Danks being 2 of our top 4 outfielders next year.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:41 AM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

Sure, bring in the home-town guy when you expect to stink, just like they brought Robin in when they expected to stink. Another "feel-good" story to detract from the awfulness of the team. I still say the Sox were good early in Robin's first year just because of who wasn't there anymore.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:08 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I'll play Devil's Advocate and say that I would bring him in if he is reduced to a 2-year, maybe option for a third, style contract. The pendulum in baseball has swung so far toward developing and protecting one's own prospects that sometimes veteran players are undervalued.

I don't want the Sox to get in a bidding war with another team and ink him to a long-term deal, but maybe Curtis finds his prospects less enticing than expected and maybe he'd take a shorter deal at a HR-friendly, small OF (good for defense) park where he can reestablish himself as a big name bat and try to get one last nice contract before he calls it a career. It's not like there's this bevy of young OF talent waiting to crack the big leagues in our farm system, the best near ready OF prospect we have is Trayce Thompson who, in a perfect world, might be ready for a September call up in 2014.

The Sox have plenty of payroll to work with, if you can get something that's kind of team-friendly, that's low-risk, high-reward stuff... And who knows, maybe you can even flip him at the trade deadline in July for some more minor league material. I mean, really, do people want to spend a full season with De Aza, Danks, and Viciedo getting a heavy share of OF playing time? *Shudder*
This is how I feel as well. Granderson could be one of the few bargains out there if he is trying to re-establish to teams that he is indeed healthy and can still be productive. If the Sox sign him to a short term deal that doesn't have a no-trade clause, I'd be for this signing. Anything to not have to watch Viciedo get another 500 ABs next year.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 10-08-2013, 11:30 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Here's the list of potential FA outfielders from Cots:

Alfredo Amezaga, Rick Ankiel, Norichika Aoki, Jeff Baker, Jason Bay, Carlos Beltran, Shin-Soo Choo, Coco Crisp, Nelson Cruz, Rajai Davis, David Dejesus, Mark DeRosa, Matt Diaz, Jacoby Ellsbury, Jeff Francoeur, Curtis Granderson, Franklin Gutierrez, Tony Gwynn Jr., Corey Hart, Raul Ibanez, Reed Johnson, Austin Kearns, Jason Kubel, Nate McLouth, Nyjer Morgan, Mike Morse, David Murphy, Xavier Nady, Laynce Nix, Hunter Pence, Juan Rivera, Luke Scott, Ryan Sweeney, Andres Torres, Chris Young, Delmon Young

Not exactly a Murderer's Row. Unless, of course, you're good with Dayan Viciedo and Jordan Danks being 2 of our top 4 outfielders next year.
FWIW, Aoki is not a FA. Brewers hold a $1.5 million option on him for 2014 that they'll obviously pick up.

Also, the Giants gave Hunter Pence a big extension.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:38 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
FWIW, Aoki is not a FA. Brewers hold a $1.5 million option on him for 2014 that they'll obviously pick up.

Also, the Giants gave Hunter Pence a big extension.
Yes, I don't know when that was updated, but some of them are players with potential options... I took the asterisks out when I formatted the list to make it a little more readable...

Here's the source of my info: Not sure when it was last updated:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/co...ents-for-2014/

Pence and Aoki were two of the better names on that list, too, so it degrades the value out there even more.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

I think you guys are all overlooking the fact that the Sox can get Ryan Sweeney back!Oh, wait, scratch that.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...year-deal.html

Last edited by eriqjaffe; 10-08-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:05 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:

Could be the 2014 version of Jermaine Dye. I'd be on board with a very team friendly deal.