White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Default Sox after Granderson?

Then we would know De Aza's trade value.

All hail The Rick
Old 10-06-2013, 10:31 PM
WSI Prelate

I'd be down with that as long as it's a true short-term hometown discount for him to build on.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Get Choo in the mix then you have yourself an outfield. Viciedo can platoon 1b and DH
Old 10-07-2013, 05:31 AM
WSI Prelate

Adding Granderson, Abreu, and a catcher would go a long way toward improving the team.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
I'd be down with that as long as it's a true short-term hometown discount for him to build on.
He is from Chicago but had grown up hating the White Sox.
2013 WSI Baseball H2H Champion
Old 10-07-2013, 08:56 AM
WSI Personality

Default The Future Is Now

In one of his books Bill Veeck said "that the future is now and five year plans usually lead to new five year plans". If the White Sox are going to sign Granderson, why not sign Robinson Cano. Jose Abreu and Brian McCann also. Adding these 4 players to the 2014 White Sox would put the team back in the Playoffs. According to the Sun Times article the White Sox have only $48 million committed to players for 2014. I've always been good at spending other peoples money so I'm all for signing these players.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
In one of his books Bill Veeck said "that the future is now and five year plans usually lead to new five year plans". If the White Sox are going to sign Granderson, why not sign Robinson Cano. Jose Abreu and Brian McCann also. Adding these 4 players to the 2014 White Sox would put the team back in the Playoffs. According to the Sun Times article the White Sox have only $48 million committed to players for 2014. I've always been good at spending other peoples money so I'm all for signing these players.
Cano wants 305 million. I don't think he'll get that, but he might get close.

No thanks.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:29 AM
WSI Regular

I like Granderson, but it would have to be a hometown discount for me to feel good about it. He'll be 33 when the season starts and he's another high strikeout guy.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
The people who complain that the White Sox "don't act like a big market team" are the same people who complain about the large salaries owed to players like Jake Peavy and Adam Dunn. You can't have one without the other, people.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102605 View Post
It's funny how $$ changes all that.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

I realize that people are not talking about replacing Granderson for Dunn straight up.....but:

In 214 AB, Granderson had 49 hits and struck out 69 times this year. That's a 32% strikeout rate. 2012 was about the same 195Ks in 596 ABs.

Our beloved Donkey struck out 189 times in 525 ABs with 115 hits this year for a 36% strikeout rate.

Can we do no better from our veteran left handed bat than a 4% improvement in strikeouts and a 12% increase in BA?
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 10-07-2013, 10:30 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Is that true?
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 10-07-2013, 10:43 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
I bet the peoria cub lover felt the same. Now look at him, how money and opportunity changes things.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Not sure where you got this info. I can't find a single interview or comment online where Granderson commented on any ill will towards the White Sox. The closest thing I could find was an article where he claims that while growing up in Chicago, despite "saturation" of White Sox and Cubs, he never detested the Yankees. It sounds like he was a big Atlanta Braves guy.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct...erson-20101014
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 10-07-2013, 11:36 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I bet the peoria cub lover felt the same. Now look at him, how money and opportunity changes things.
As it should for any professional.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."