White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 11:54 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
A. Garcia and Chris Sale to the Angels for Mike Trout.
Zero, zero, zero way this is plausible. Sale + Garcia <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Trout

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-04-2013, 12:08 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
I agree with you that trades are not a cure-all for a lousy team. But I don't know if any quality free agents will come to a team that lost 99 games. Players are money-driven but winning is still important to them. And I don't see the White Sox getting into a bidding war at the moment.
Players chose money. There is no salary cap in baseball, players can get every dime they feel they are worth on the free agent market in this sport. Maybe in the NBA or NFL you will see veteran players signing relatively cheap deals with winning teams to try and win a ring, but that's because the caps in those leagues make it so their worth is artificially deflated.

For example, Ivan Rodriguez was arguably one of the premier FA during the 2003-2004 off-season. He chose to sign with the Tigers, who were coming off a 43-119 record because they gave him the most cash. He chose the historically bad Tigers over several other suitors, including the Cubs, who at one point where only 5 outs away from the World Series.

Money talks.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 10-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Players chose money. There is no salary cap in baseball, players can get every dime they feel they are worth on the free agent market in this sport. Maybe in the NBA or NFL you will see veteran players signing relatively cheap deals with winning teams to try and win a ring, but that's because the caps in those leagues make it so their worth is artificially deflated.

For example, Ivan Rodriguez was arguably one of the premier FA during the 2003-2004 off-season. He chose to sign with the Tigers, who were coming off a 43-119 record because they gave him the most cash. He chose the historically bad Tigers over several other suitors, including the Cubs, who at one point where only 5 outs away from the World Series.

Money talks.
You're mostly right. Some guys (like Paulie) take less money for the right situation. But that's the exception.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:23 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
I agree with you that trades are not a cure-all for a lousy team. But I don't know if any quality free agents will come to a team that lost 99 games. Players are money-driven but winning is still important to them. And I don't see the White Sox getting into a bidding war at the moment.
Clevland signed 14 free agents last year and they lost 94 games.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:37 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Money talks.
I agree only I would temper that with playing time. For example, a catcher may not sign with the highest bidder if he thinks he is a No 1 and the team already has an established catcher.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Good trades can help a lot. This team needs a lot of good players. All this load the wagon for McCann, etc....to heck with that. We need more volume. We won our WS with volume and good pitching.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
I agree only I would temper that with playing time. For example, a catcher may not sign with the highest bidder if he thinks he is a No 1 and the team already has an established catcher.
Even that has its limits. Alex Rodriguez was a shortstop before he signed with the Yankees.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:07 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Even that has its limits. Alex Rodriguez was a shortstop before he signed with the Yankees.
And the Tigers had a 1B before they signed Prince, as well.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
We won our WS with volume and good pitching.
The Sox have been trying to convince us that model is the way ever since 2005 ended. I don't buy it.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Clevland signed 14 free agents last year and they lost 94 games.
They also had a lot of talent on the roster and in their system from five years of losing. They used that system to make trades and promote players all season. You can't take just any 90 loss team and sign 14 free agents and say that's gonna do it. Most 90+ loss teams are in dire straights. You take our roster and sign 14 free agents this offseason with a payroll around $80 million like the Tribe and 100 times out of 100 we're competing for last.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
The Sox have been trying to convince us that model is the way ever since 2005 ended. I don't buy it.
They haven't had good volume since 2005. some of that is their own evaluation - they decided that Wise was a good baseball player, for example.
Just get some good players who can get on base. They are around. Then get 3 great hitters to go along with that and you win. We had 6 holes in the lineup this year.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:52 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
And the Tigers had a 1B before they signed Prince, as well.
They have 3 highly paid 1Bmen!
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
They have 3 highly paid 1Bmen!
The Tigers do have three premium 1st baseman and, I must admit, they have made it work fairly well. I thought it would blow up on them defensively and it may still. But, so far, they have done alright.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Good trades can help a lot. This team needs a lot of good players. All this load the wagon for McCann, etc....to heck with that. We need more volume. We won our WS with volume and good pitching.
I agree we need volume, but I don't think free agency is the way to go about it, which is why I'd prefer if they do go the free agency route it is for long term impact players. The 2004 team was in a lot better shape to add a few mid level veteran signings, if they take the same approach with this team we'll just be treading water. The volume is going to have to come via acquiring and developing young players. Hahn's actually off to a good start IMO with the the acquisitions of the Garcias and the rapid development of Semien and Johnson.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I agree we need volume, but I don't think free agency is the way to go about it, which is why I'd prefer if they do go the free agency route it is for long term impact players. The 2004 team was in a lot better shape to add a few mid level veteran signings, if they take the same approach with this team we'll just be treading water. The volume is going to have to come via acquiring and developing young players. Hahn's actually off to a good start IMO with the the acquisitions of the Garcias and the rapid development of Semien and Johnson.
We need volume in the system, and the only way to do that is to draft smart and draft best talent available for three years.

IMO, FA's should be 1-2 year placeholders only until prospects are either brought up through the system and/or near-MLB prospects are acquired for some of the higher priced assets we have that other teams may want, i.e. John Danks, Ramirez, Viciedo, De Aza, Beckham.

We need an infusion of good young players. All a quick FA fix will do is have us lose 85-90 games instead of 95-100 games, and kick the bottle down the road another year.