White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I believe there is an ignore feature. I always encourage people to use it in such situations.
I thought your original post was funny.

Now people will hate you more!
Old 10-03-2013, 02:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I thought your original post was funny.

Now people will hate you more!
Hey, not an issue for me - I don't mind agreeing with you once in a while.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-03-2013, 04:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
ERA isn't really that subjective, IMO. Most plays are cut and dried. How many "controversial runs" are scored each year where there's actual questions about whether a run should be earned or unearned.
Yeah, but what about the effect the fielders have? How many runs did an OF of Ichiro, Cameron and Wynn save M's pitchers back in the day? You can't even measure it. I'm willing to bet if you substituted

Last edited by TheVulture; 10-03-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
If Quintana and Santiago are for real, they're getting big bucks in in arbitration in 2015 and beyond. With Danks and Sale already making a ton, that's gonna be a ton of flexibility gone just for four players. Yeah, they're the rotation, but it's not ideal considering the route you're talking about involves heavy investment of the bulk of our available resources for 21 other players. It just doesn't add up, unless we're spending between 150 and 200 million dollars.
So in your estimation Santiago is both not good enough to be part of the rotation and good enough to command too much money to be part of the rotation three years from now. Makes sense.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
So in your estimation Santiago is both not good enough to be part of the rotation and good enough to command too much money to be part of the rotation three years from now. Makes sense.
No. Santiago's only in the rotation in 2015 if he passes the test next year and therefore will start making bigger money in arbitration each year starting then.

If you're asking whether I think he's real? No. I think he's serviceable but because of his production in limited innings will make more than he's worth in arbitration. I think we should trade him mid-season.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:18 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
No. Santiago's only in the rotation in 2015 if he passes the test next year and therefore will start making bigger money in arbitration each year starting then.

If you're asking whether I think he's real? No. I think he's serviceable but because of his production in limited innings will make more than he's worth in arbitration. I think we should trade him mid-season.
What is the average a SP is making in his first year of arbitration? A couple million bucks? OK, sure, that's not exactly killing payroll flexibility, though.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
What is the average a SP is making in his first year of arbitration? A couple million bucks? OK, sure, that's not exactly killing payroll flexibility, though.
In the first year, yes. Unless our building plan involves signing everyone until the 2015 season, it matters. The kinds of players you need to sign to compete from where we are now will require 4, 5, and 6 year commitments.

Just to be clear, I think it's folly to try to do that. I think we need to be bad for a while and rebuild a consistent winner through several drafts with higher selections.