Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 03:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
The Indians went 30- 8 against the White Sox and Twins, 62- 62 against the rest of the league. They will fall back in 2014.
Those kinds of cherrypicking of teams can be done for almost any winner/contender. I honestly don't think they mean much.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-02-2013, 03:53 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I can't see how Santiago was "iffy" in 2013. Danks tailed off in the second half, but that should be expected from a guy coming off major shoulder surgery.
Santiago tailed off after the All Star game. His SO total really dropped off and opponent BA against jumped by over 50 points. Hopefully he just tired out

Last edited by voodoochile; 10-02-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Those kinds of cherrypicking of teams can be done for almost any winner/contender. I honestly don't think they mean much.
Texas has an obscene amount of wins vs. the Astros and Angels and the Tigers have 27 vs the Sox and Twins, so I'd say that a few do.

But looking at the playoff teams, Cleveland is the least talented of the bunch, wouldn't you agree? Considering the Twins deep farm system and the Sox propensity to spend money for quick fixes, I'd say the Indians are likely to drop down into the low 80's in wins next year. No way they are going 17- 2 against us.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 10-02-2013, 04:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Santiago tailed off after the All Star game. His SO total really dropped off and opponent BA against jumped by over 50 points. Hopefully he just tired out
It's not unusual for a 25 year old pitcher that has never pitched more than 120 innings in a season to tire out in the second half.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
It's not unusual for a 25 year old pitcher that has never pitched more than 120 innings in a season to tire out in the second half.
But, but, but, pitching more innings is CHICAGO TOUGH!
Old 10-02-2013, 05:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

I don't either. Think back to the glory days of 2005. The same cherry-picking was done with the White Sox who, we were reminded, had a losing record against potential playoff teams. And indeed, they did have losing regular season records against the Red Sox and Angels. And we know how that one turned out, of course-they blew first place and choked away the biggest lead in baseball history, just as the Chicago media predicted.
"Message to all WSIers who think that Thomas will be a first-or-second ballot Hall of Famer-with guys like Telander holding the "Keys to the Kingdom" and openly campaigning against the DH-I will be kind and say You Are Dreaming. Thomas and his supporters are going to have to shout his case from the rooftops before the BBWAA finally gets the message. " -Some Dope on WSI, 2/13/2010. Whoops, that was me.
Then again, I think I have a promising career as a TV psychic. John Edward, watch out!
Old 10-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's also not unusual for young pitchers to tail off because they're not very good and the league has adjusted. In fact, that is way more often the case. It should not simply be taken for granted that at 25 Santiago has simply figured it out. He's older for a prospect, and he doesn't possess elite talent. He's in the iffy category.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
It's also not unusual for young pitchers to tail off because they're not very good and the league has adjusted. In fact, that is way more often the case. It should not simply be taken for granted that at 25 Santiago has simply figured it out. He's older for a prospect, and he doesn't possess elite talent. He's in the iffy category.
That's probably how everyone sees him...iffy. No use giving him away. If someone wants him, they have to pay.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
That's probably how everyone sees him...iffy. No use giving him away. If someone wants him, they have to pay.
I want to like the guy, he's a stand up guy off the field. But this is the same guy we've always wondered whether he was good enough to be the long man or make the rotation as a five. Keeping his control for less than 100 innings of starting isn't nearly enough to make me change my mind.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:35 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
I want to like the guy, he's a stand up guy off the field. But this is the same guy we've always wondered whether he was good enough to be the long man or make the rotation as a five. Keeping his control for less than 100 innings of starting isn't nearly enough to make me change my mind.
I agree with your overall assessment, but even if Santiago does not develop into an everyday SP, he still absolutely has value in this league. I feel the same way about Reinzo, who I am not sure is cut from starting pitching cloth, either.

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 10-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I agree with your overall assessment, but even if Santiago does not develop into an everyday SP, he still absolutely has value in this league. I feel the same way about Reinzo, who I am not sure is cut from starting pitching cloth, either.
Oh definitely. I'm not sure it wasn't a mistake not to keep him a short reliever though. Time will tell.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I don't disagree, but let's see what we have before we give him away. No one will give us anything, unless someone happens to see something and really likes him (he did have good K totals most of the year)....in which case, make them pay.
Let's not forget- he closed our first win in 2012 at Texas. He's got some skills. I'm not one who believes you put your best reliever at closer anyway - that may end up being a good spot for him. Or late inning relief, with those K totals. We're not talking about a Veal here.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
But, but, but, pitching more innings is CHICAGO TOUGH!
It was a nice week while it lasted.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
I don't either. Think back to the glory days of 2005. The same cherry-picking was done with the White Sox who, we were reminded, had a losing record against potential playoff teams.
There's a difference between going 3- 4 against a team versus going 2- 17. The Indians are not talented enough to be a year in year out contender.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
It was a nice week while it lasted.
I believe there is an ignore feature. I always encourage people to use it in such situations.

Last edited by kittle42; 10-03-2013 at 10:00 AM.