White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 11:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Other than Dusty Baker, when was the last time a Cub Manager did anything significant in his managerial career after leaving the Cubs?

It's not the Bermuda Triangle, it's the Triangle Lot outside on Clark Street!
Baker was the first former-Cubs manager to have another managerial job at the major league level for years and years. Strangely enough, shortly after Dusty got hired by the Reds, Jim Riggleman was hired by the Nationals.

Go Sox!!!
Old 10-02-2013, 08:14 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Baker was the first former-Cubs manager to have another managerial job at the major league level for years and years. Strangely enough, shortly after Dusty got hired by the Reds, Jim Riggleman was hired by the Nationals.
...where he went 140-172. Maybe Theo should hire him back.

All hail The Rick
Old 10-02-2013, 10:10 AM
WSI Regular

Girardi via the Star Ledger: Our home has been here [in New York]. My kids are engrossed in schools here. I havenít lived there [in Chicago] since 2006. I have a brother still there, a couple brothers there, actually. But my fatherís gone. My motherís gone. So thereís not as much there as there used to be.[/I]
Old 10-02-2013, 01:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Just had a stroke.......
Old 10-03-2013, 12:14 AM
WSI High Priest

He ain't managing the Cubbies. Next story.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:54 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon44 View Post
I've learned more about Joe Girardi in the last 24 hours than I thought possible, here it goes: He's not coming to the Cubs because his kids, aged 14, 11 and 7, have no connection to Chicago; they are New Yorkers. He does not want to uproot his family for the ivy covered burial ground.

The sense of entitlement that Cub fans have just leaves me stunned. And it keeps swelling year after year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXPHILE View Post

Just had a stroke.......
On Tuesday I listened for a short time to David Kraplan. The way they were talking I thought that Girardi had signed with the Cubbies.

IF it turns out that Girardi resigns with the Yankees, Kraplan's mancrush will quickly subside and he'll attach himself to whomever the Cubbies hire.

If Girardi spurns the Yankees, that door is closed. Girardi can always sign manage the Cubbies IF he leaves the Yankees.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 10-03-2013, 10:55 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
On Tuesday I listened for a short time to David Kraplan. The way they were talking I thought that Girardi had signed with the Cubbies.

IF it turns out that Girardi resigns with the Yankees, Kraplan's mancrush will quickly subside and he'll attach himself to whomever the Cubbies hire.

If Girardi spurns the Yankees, that door is closed. Girardi can always sign manage the Cubbies IF he leaves the Yankees.
He probably once heralded Sveum as the second coming of Casey Stengel.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-03-2013, 11:46 AM
MMXXIII

Girardi, Yankees GM Cashman have a "good" meeting:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...-meet-contract
Old 10-03-2013, 12:07 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
He probably once heralded Sveum as the second coming of Casey Stengel.
Stengel, who managed the Yankees to 7 world series titles, or Stengel who managed the '62 Mets?
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:04 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Girardi, Yankees GM Cashman have a "good" meeting:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...-meet-contract

Gary DiSarcina is polishing his resume
Old 10-04-2013, 12:16 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to that. There are worse hires the Sox could make for that position. I don't think Sveum was a brilliant manager or anything, but IMO, he was set up to fail by the Cubs' front office. Castro isn't near the player they think he is. I'm still undecided about Rizzo. I think they believe he is Joey Votto. He might be Adam LaRoche.
I'm inclined to believe maybe Rizzo, Castro, or Samardija might just not be that good. They're acting like on the radio like it's a foregone conclusion all these so called prospects are going to bloom into championship caliber players when in reality about 1 in 3 or 4 may turn into a serviceable player or better. Then the Cubs are supposedly going to surround them with superstar free agents. There are a whole lot of maybes and hoping in this ironclad plan . Sveum being fired may be the first dent in the armor, a scapegoat. Dan Bernstein was shouting down callers who dared disagree with him that the Cubs job was better than the Yankees at the moment . I agree with Hawk when he says a lot of these top rated farm systems are still perennial losers.Also there seems to be a big misconception that Theo built the Red Sox mini dynasty from scratch when in fact the team was ready to win right off the bat. There is no correlation to the total rebuild of the Cubs.

Last edited by mahagga73; 10-04-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:54 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
.Also there seems to be a big misconception that Theo built the Red Sox mini dynasty from scratch when in fact the team was ready to win right off the bat. There is no correlation to the total rebuild of the Cubs.
WRONG. As a White Sox fan living in New England Theo made the moves that won in 2004. He acquired Ortiz, Millar, Shilling, Cabrera and Foulke and hired Francona as manager. In addition, he drafted Pedroia and Lester in 04 and folllowed that up with Buchholz and Ellsbury the next year. Those 4 are all All-Star calibre players.

I am glad he left Boston but his protege unfortunately is also having success.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:32 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
WRONG. As a White Sox fan living in New England Theo made the moves that won in 2004. He acquired Ortiz, Millar, Shilling, Cabrera and Foulke and hired Francona as manager. In addition, he drafted Pedroia and Lester in 04 and folllowed that up with Buchholz and Ellsbury the next year. Those 4 are all All-Star calibre players.

I am glad he left Boston but his protege unfortunately is also having success.
Right, but I think the point is that he got the Red Sox from Point B to Point C, they hadn't finished under .500 since 1997 and were in the postseason 3 of the 6 years prior to Theo's hiring. I mean, they were 1 win away from the World Series in 2003.

I'm not saying Theo didn't make some savvy moves to get the Red Sox over the hump, but to compare it to a total rebuild is a bit dramatic. 2 years into this Cubs experiment and the team seems to be spinning it's wheels.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:03 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Right, but I think the point is that he got the Red Sox from Point B to Point C, they hadn't finished under .500 since 1997 and were in the postseason 3 of the 6 years prior to Theo's hiring. I mean, they were 1 win away from the World Series in 2003.

I'm not saying Theo didn't make some savvy moves to get the Red Sox over the hump, but to compare it to a total rebuild is a bit dramatic. 2 years into this Cubs experiment and the team seems to be spinning it's wheels.
But they won again in 2007 with many different players including those draft picks from 03-05 who all played in that World Series.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:54 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
But they won again in 2007 with many different players including those draft picks from 03-05 who all played in that World Series.
Yeah so he made some savvy draft picks and moves, but he had a base to work with when he took over , this is a much bigger job with so many more things that have to go right.