White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 11:22 PM
WSI Regular

I listened to Theo's press conference. He said Sveum lost his job because the young players got worse and the clubhouse lacked structure/discipline.

Asked about the next manager, two things stood out: He needs to have been one already in the ML, and having a Cubby connection would be really good, too.

Well, that's a pretty short list, IMO. Really short if you remove Dusty Baker, Lou Piniella and Ryne Sandberg.

Whether or not bachelor #1 answers these plaintive cries is the next fascinating chapter in "For Whom The Cubbies Foil"
Old 09-30-2013, 11:47 PM
WSI Guru

Sveum is nothing great, though certainly not the problem there.

Perhaps more embarrassing are media figures throwing Sveum under the bus once he was dismissed.

https://twitter.com/RaferWeigel/stat...83764062457857

Not that he's apologizing for the Cubs, however...

https://twitter.com/RaferWeigel/stat...80973604605954
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-1.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:56 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon44 View Post
I listened to Theo's press conference. He said Sveum lost his job because the young players got worse and the clubhouse lacked structure/discipline.

Asked about the next manager, two things stood out: He needs to have been one already in the ML, and having a Cubby connection would be really good, too.

Well, that's a pretty short list, IMO. Really short if you remove Dusty Baker, Lou Piniella and Ryne Sandberg.

Whether or not bachelor #1 answers these plaintive cries is the next fascinating chapter in "For Whom The Cubbies Foil"
Girardi is already the highest paid manager in baseball, I just can't see him leaving the craziness of the Bronx to come and manage a team in serious rebuilding mode here, unless the Cubs offer him the moon.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Sunday, August 4 - vs. Twins
Old 10-01-2013, 12:09 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Not that he's apologizing for the Cubs, however...

https://twitter.com/RaferWeigel/stat...80973604605954
This guy is spot on in my eyes.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I heard Theo say he wants a manager who can teach younger players how to perform better in the major leagues. Maybe he'll hire Robin Ventura as his next manager.
Read: He wants a manager who won't make the Cubs brass look so stupid for committing a gazillion dollars to lock up Castro and Rizzo for the next several years.

SMO
Old 10-01-2013, 01:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Girardi is already the highest paid manager in baseball, I just can't see him leaving the craziness of the Bronx to come and manage a team in serious rebuilding mode here, unless the Cubs offer him the moon.
I mean he's from here and he wanted the job last go around didn't he?
Old 10-01-2013, 01:14 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
I mean he's from here and he wanted the job last go around didn't he?
I don't personally remember him being a serious candidate for the job last time around (I remember it being more of like a wish list that some fans had established, kind of how some Sox fans really wanted to believe Terry Francona had a chance to get the Sox job two years ago), but I may be incorrect. The only real serious candidate I remember publicly being scorned by the Cubs was Sandberg.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

I heard the Cubs announcer (on the radio with those morning drive-time idiots on the Score) say he'll be surprised if Girardi ISN'T the next manager.

What? Why would he take this job now, when he could wait and then show up when the club is a bit closer, assuming all goes according to plan?
Old 10-01-2013, 03:13 PM
WSI Regular

I've learned more about Joe Girardi in the last 24 hours than I thought possible, here it goes: He's not coming to the Cubs because his kids, aged 14, 11 and 7, have no connection to Chicago; they are New Yorkers. He does not want to uproot his family for the ivy covered burial ground.

The sense of entitlement that Cub fans have just leaves me stunned. And it keeps swelling year after year.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:27 PM
WSI Regular

I can't imagine Girardi really wants to be back with the Cubs.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxandtheCityTee View Post
I heard the Cubs announcer (on the radio with those morning drive-time idiots on the Score) say he'll be surprised if Girardi ISN'T the next manager.

What? Why would he take this job now, when he could wait and then show up when the club is a bit closer, assuming all goes according to plan?
So he can take credit if it pokes its head above ground. The Tribune only owns 5% of them but still carries water for the team's interests. And it's carrying a lot of water these days. I loved it when the paper used to tamper with its own players by pumping them up for potential trades.

A new knight on horseback to Save The Cubs. Another Lou, Dusty, Leo or maybe Frankie Frisch to bring the magic and light the fire.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:22 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Girardi is already the highest paid manager
in baseball, I just can't see him leaving the craziness of the Bronx
to come and manage a team in serious rebuilding mode here, unless the Cubs
offer him the moon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon44 View Post
I've learned more about Joe Girardi in the last 24 hours than I thought possible, here it goes: He's not coming to the Cubs because his kids, aged 14, 11 and 7, have no connection to Chicago; they are New Yorkers. He does not want to uproot his family for the ivy covered burial ground.
Cashman is hinting at giving Girardi a significant offer.
http://nypost.com/sports/
And Girardi mentioned family as a reason to take a year off. Yes, it has been an ivy covered burial ground with many disadvantages. Dusty mentioned a number of them like inadequate treatment facilities that had affected players go downtown post-game. At least Girardi waiting a year will see whether or not the rooftop owners chase the team to Rosemont. Yankees already have top-notch facilities. Maybe Cubs only hope is to get Pat Fitzgerald to recruit fellow alum Girardi to the Cub job, with five NU football games planned at Wrigley. But Girardi will probably go to some of those games even as Yankee manager. Obviously Girardi has good leverage for a nice Yankee contract if he wants it.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan1965 View Post
Cashman is hinting at giving Girardi a significant offer.
http://nypost.com/sports/
And Girardi mentioned family as a reason to take a year off. Yes, it has been an ivy covered burial ground with many disadvantages. Dusty mentioned a number of them like inadequate treatment facilities that had affected players go downtown post-game.
I get ripped every time I say this. Wrigley is an albatross that the Cubs ownership needs to rid themselves of. The world as we know it will not end of the Cubs get a new home somewhere in Chicagoland, whether it is Rosemont or elsewhere.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:38 PM
WSI High Priest

I remember when another Peoria native, Jim Thome, signed with the beloved Cubs of his childhood and took them to a championship. Sounds like it will be that all over again.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 10-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Other than Dusty Baker, when was the last time a Cub Manager did anything significant in his managerial career after leaving the Cubs?

It's not the Bermuda Triangle, it's the Triangle Lot outside on Clark Street!

All hail The Rick