White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 02:00 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
This is a good point. They're the baseball team for nearly the whole south. I wonder what their cable subscriber base is, without much regional competition.
They were also televised nationally on TBS for almost 40 years so they do have a very widespread fanbase.

But it is crazy to how underserved the South is by baseball. The region that includes Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Arkansas has more NHL franchises than MLB ones. Crazy.

0-1

LAST GAME: April 12 - Indians 12, Sox 6
NEXT GAME: April 16 vs. Boston
Old 10-01-2013, 01:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOX ADDICT '73 View Post
They have a history of not showing up until the NLCS or later, don't they? I remember seeing a lot of Cubbie blue in the Atlanta stands during the 2003 NLDS. I guess Maddux, Glavine, and the gang spoiled them in the 90s.

I admittedly don't get to watch many Brewers games, but Gomez looks to have bulked up quite a bit since his days in Minnesota (I remember him being a squirrely little pain-in-the-ass), and his power numbers have spiked dramatically over the past two years. This, combined with the gigantic - and seemingly irrational - chip on his shoulder has me wondering about PED usage. Then again, he was a huge jackass before the growth spurt, so...

The reason Gomez has more HRs is simply because he is getting more ABs, as well as coming into the prime of his career.

2011: 231 ABs, 8 HRs. 1 HR every 29 ABs
2012: 415 ABs, 19 HRs. 1 HR every 22 ABs
2013: 536 ABs, 24 HRs. 1 HR every 22 ABs

Could he be on PEDS? Sure, but the numbers alone don't suggest that.

Has he bulked up?

Maybe? I'm not really sure. I think he put on some weight, but i'm not sure. Then again, weight gain alone isn't an indicator of PED use anymore.

Whenever the Sox or Brewers win, it's PARTY TIME!!!!!

Old 10-01-2013, 02:26 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComiskeyBrewer View Post
The reason Gomez has more HRs is simply because he is getting more ABs, as well as coming into the prime of his career.

2011: 231 ABs, 8 HRs. 1 HR every 29 ABs
2012: 415 ABs, 19 HRs. 1 HR every 22 ABs
2013: 536 ABs, 24 HRs. 1 HR every 22 ABs

Could he be on PEDS? Sure, but the numbers alone don't suggest that.
Pretty fair assessment, IMO; also I don't know how well Miller Park plays as a HR park, but it's got to be better than Target Field, right? That place is a HR hitter's nightmare.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Pretty fair assessment, IMO; also I don't know how well Miller Park plays as a HR park, but it's got to be better than Target Field, right? That place is a HR hitter's nightmare.
From what i remember, it is basically neutral to slightly a hitters park(not sure since they moved the wall in RF in closer). But yea, i'd bet moving from the Metrodome adds to it as well.