White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 01:50 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastball23 View Post
He could join the Sox as our hitting coach.
I wouldn't be opposed to that. There are worse hires the Sox could make for that position. I don't think Sveum was a brilliant manager or anything, but IMO, he was set up to fail by the Cubs' front office. Castro isn't near the player they think he is. I'm still undecided about Rizzo. I think they believe he is Joey Votto. He might be Adam LaRoche.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 09-30-2013, 02:23 PM
WSI Personality

I heard Theo say he wants a manager who can teach younger players how to perform better in the major leagues. Maybe he'll hire Robin Ventura as his next manager.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastball23 View Post
He could join the Sox as our hitting coach.
Well, he did play for the Sox once upon a time. So, he meets the first qualification for employment as a coach.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Well, he did play for the Sox once upon a time. So, he meets the first qualification for employment as a coach.
There are others?
Old 09-30-2013, 04:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immigrant View Post
There are others?
You both beat me to it.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-30-2013, 04:37 PM
WSI High Priest

He was Ozzie's replacement when Ozzie blew his knee out, wasn't he? They were around here at about the same time.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
He was Ozzie's replacement when Ozzie blew his knee out, wasn't he? They were around here at about the same time.
I believe Sveum was Craig Grebeck's replacement after Grebeck got hurt. Grebeck was subbing for Ozzie who had gotten hurt earlier in the year. So Sveum was Tyler Greene.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to that. There are worse hires the Sox could make for that position. I don't think Sveum was a brilliant manager or anything, but IMO, he was set up to fail by the Cubs' front office. Castro isn't near the player they think he is. I'm still undecided about Rizzo. I think they believe he is Joey Votto. He might be Adam LaRoche.
This. He wasn't a good manager IMO, but there was no way he was A.) going to succeed with what they through out there the last year and B.) stick around once things did get better by 2016...2018...2022...whenever that magic year is.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:23 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
This. He wasn't a good manager IMO, but there was no way he was A.) going to succeed with what they through out there the last year and B.) stick around once things did get better by 2016...2018...2022...whenever that magic year is.
Wow: I posted this a few weeks ago as a rumor on a Boston radio show. Their source was probably Peter Gammons but I didn't think it would happen.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Theo & co. are scrambling to create the illusion of progress as their target contention date of 2014 inches backwards. This was supposed to be the year that Castro, Samardzijaajsdjija, Rizzo, Brett Jackson et al. were supposed to take the big leap forward and vault them over .500 next year. It didn't happen, but they have to act like everything is going according to the master plan. Time for the front office to put their money where their mouth is.

I will say that the Cubs farm system is looking awfully good right now. Between Baez, Soler, Almora, and Bryant alone they're probably going to get something good. At the same time, I'll believe it when I see it. I remember when Corey Patterson and Felix Pie were franchise-changers who were going to take them to the next level.

Right now, just gotta hope that the Sox get there first.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

So, let's see.....he was to lose as many games as possible to ensure the highest draft position possible while developing The Future (Castro and Rizzo).

Makes as much sense as the instructions the HAL 9000 was given and we saw how that turned out.

All hail The Rick
Old 09-30-2013, 09:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

If you believe Dan Bernstein and his sources, Girardi is just a matter of his contract expiring. It goes until October 31st.

I think it has to happen. If Girardi isn't the guy there was no reason to fire Sveum with a year left.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:22 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
I think it has to happen. If Girardi isn't the guy there was no reason to fire Sveum with a year left.
That does make a lot of sense, of course, but Theo's always going to be the guy who does what Theo does because Theo knows better than everyone else. A couple of years ago, Sandberg was the obvious choice to take over the MLB club; he was a legendary player so he would have been credible with the fans, he knew the players in the Cubs' MiLB system, he had success with them at the minor league level... But Theo still decided to go with the bench coach from Milwaukee.

If you're looking for a dark horse candidate, I humbly submit Dave Magadan; former gritty player, was a coach for the '07 Red Sox so he knows Theo, and he's been a pretty successful hitting coach at two stops in Boston and now Texas. Feels a lot more like the "Outside the Box" type Theo hire.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 09-30-2013, 09:36 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
That does make a lot of sense, of course, but Theo's always going to be the guy who does what Theo does because Theo knows better than everyone else. A couple of years ago, Sandberg was the obvious choice to take over the MLB club; he was a legendary player so he would have been credible with the fans, he knew the players in the Cubs' MiLB system, he had success with them at the minor league level... But Theo still decided to go with the bench coach from Milwaukee.

If you're looking for a dark horse candidate, I humbly submit Dave Magadan; former gritty player, was a coach for the '07 Red Sox so he knows Theo, and he's been a pretty successful hitting coach at two stops in Boston and now Texas. Feels a lot more like the "Outside the Box" type Theo hire.
You might be on to something with Magadan. Sveum was a coach under Theo at one point. Theo might want to go with the familiar.

By the way, I love how Gardenhire signed another two year deal with the Twins today. I was enjoying the sports blab radio fantasies that he wanted to come here to a larger market to manage the legendary Cubs.....
Old 09-30-2013, 10:06 PM
WSI Regular

Doesn't matter who the manager is, he won't be around very long if the players don't know that there are 3 outs per inning, run on any contact with two outs, tag up on fly balls with less than 2 outs, hit the cut off man, don't throw letter high 90 mph fast balls to power hitters, etc, etc. Teams that play fundamentally bad baseball don't win championships. Same goes for the Sox.