White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 09:25 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
More classic munch strawmen; nobody has stated top draft picks are unimportant, people have just noted that the difference between Pick #3 and Pick #4 is insignificant (and, if you really want to be anal about it, the 4th overall pick has historically outplayed the 3rd).
The Sox lucked the hell out on at least two of those picks, if not three. They knew what they were getting with Ventura, although I think the Cubs passed him up. In fact, I'm almost positive the Cubs picked ahead of us on BOTH Ventura and Thomas. That said, I don't think the Sox had any idea that Fernandez would pitch as well as he did as quickly as he did. He was playing with Miami earlier in 1990. He was almost like a Chris Sale situation in 2010.

2014 Attendance Record: 3-3, 0.500
Old 09-30-2013, 08:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I don't know about that. 1990 caught most people by surprise. There was some young talent, but lots of unproven talent and question marks. The fanbase was pretty much in total apathy after the Baines trade. Sosa was an unproven commodity. The hot draft pick Robin Ventura only came up for the final few weeks of the season. Frank Thomas and Alex Fernandez were off the grid; nobody knew who they were. McDowell was crap and actually spent the entire season in the minors. You had some veteran iffy guys like Pasqua and Fletcher that weren't going to draw fans to the gate. I don't buy that everyone knew the Sox were close.

By the way, no offense, because the Sox wouldn't have become the team they were without Frank's emergence really in '91 (I don't think anyone realized how good he was at the end of '90), and the difference here is that, other than possibly A Garcia, we don't have that type of guy in the minors now, unless he's hiding somewhere.
37-36 .507

That was the 2nd half record of the '89 Sox. Oh sure, we weren't sitting around at the end of 1989 saying "you know what, this team will win 94 games next year!", but there was definitely reason for optimism at the end of that season. You could see the team was at least headed in the right direction and they really started turning things around in the 2nd half of '89.

Our situation today is simply not comparable to that year. Who really knows, right? But IMO, the Sox seem much further away from contention than they did 24 years ago this month.

All I'm saying is, 2013 != 1989
Old 09-30-2013, 09:30 AM
WSI Personality

Default The Future

The White Sox will be in the Playoffs in 2014.
The White Sox will be in the World Series in 2015, 2016 and 2017.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
More classic munch strawmen; nobody has stated top draft picks are unimportant, people have just noted that the difference between Pick #3 and Pick #4 is insignificant (and, if you really want to be anal about it, the 4th overall pick has historically outplayed the 3rd).
Okay forget the part about whether anyone thinks picks aren't important. My point is that 90's team was built off of a lot of high draft picks. Building that way would involve being just as bad for three more years.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:11 AM
WSI High Priest

White Sox will have 75 + wins: 2014
White Sox will reach .500 again 2016
White Sox will have 90+ wins 2018
White Sox will reach playoffs again 2018 (all full decade after their last playoff appearance)
White Sox draw 2,000,000 + again 2017
White Sox draw 2,500,000 + again 2019 (attendance usually rebounds the year after a successful season)