White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 09:20 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
In my opinion, the biggest positive to draw from this year is dramatically increased financial flexibility. With 2013 now off the books, the only player who is truly handcuffing this team going forward is John Danks (although Jeff Keppinger's deal makes me cringe, too.) I don't see Alexei Ramirez's contract as being totally unmovable, and I think that somebody will give up something decent for him this offseason, freeing up even more money.

But then who would play SS? Is there a realistic better option out there? Alexei seemed to figure it out a little bit after his horrendous start both offensively and defensively
Old 09-29-2013, 09:27 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Who are the two Cal kids?
Semien and Erik Johnson.

2014 Attendance Record: 3-3, 0.500
Old 09-29-2013, 09:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
In my opinion, the biggest positive to draw from this year is dramatically increased financial flexibility. With 2013 now off the books, the only player who is truly handcuffing this team going forward is John Danks (although Jeff Keppinger's deal makes me cringe, too.) I don't see Alexei Ramirez's contract as being totally unmovable, and I think that somebody will give up something decent for him this offseason, freeing up even more money.
I think Alexei's first 2 months of the season determines his future w/ the Sox. I do worry that 2014 is the year we find out that the Danks contract is a real bad one.

Last edited by amsteel; 09-29-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

I'm amazed that as bad as we were, we were only 3 games out of fourth.

If nothing else, expectations will be lower next year, so it might give the Sox a chance to do some more tinkering to see what actually works, even beyond what they did after we went in the tank this season.

Catcher is a huge priority now, because frankly we don't have one. Third is still a question mark, as could be first, depending on what happens in the off-season.

Obligatory 2014 attendance record: 1-0

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

JACK....IS....BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2013, 10:54 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
The starting pitching was generally pretty damn good.
The pitching staff, in general, was excellent. Got to find about 8 guys who can hit.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 09-30-2013, 12:24 AM
WSI High Priest

I am now positive that Flowers is not a starting catcher, and I can only hope that Hahn is positive of that, too.

SMO
Old 09-30-2013, 06:00 AM
WSI Prelate

I don't think all the position players need to be replaced (but we can't field a team with seven hitters who belong hitting 8th or 9th in a lineup).

We have a high draft pick and thus a chance to draft an impact player.

We have payroll flexibility to sign impact international amateur players.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
I trust the Sox will get their scouts polo shirts next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
#PoloImpact
#TheWilltoWearPolos

Old 09-30-2013, 08:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
#PoloImpact
#TheWilltoWearPolos
This is probably my favorite post ever.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The pitching staff, in general, was excellent. Got to find about 8 guys who can hit.
8 guys? No big deal.

Seriously though...I agree the starting pitching was fine, but a lot's going to change by the time we're able to build an offense and a bullpen. We'll probably try everything to unload Danks' deal, and young pitchers don't necessarily get better (most of them don't). Injuries happen, and the league catches up with guys that don't have marquee talent or the ability to adjust quickly. And if they do pan out, they get expensive quick. That's why you want pitchers coming up at the same time or later, not before the position players.

I really hope we don't go the band-aid route and piece together an offense on the fly. Other than the high likelihood it fails, our division has gotten pretty talent stacked. Even if we do succeed in that route to be respectable, we're probably not going to be better than them. We need to do this right.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
Not necessarily a positive thought, but something that I saw today that put things really in perspective. I was sitting up in the 300 level today and as we were leaving the game, this family was walking toward us in the concourse. One guy was pushing what I assumed to be his mother in a wheel chair. She was not real elderly, but she looked quite frail. She was also crying her eyes out. It sounds awful, but all I could wonder is if her health was so bad and that she wanted to make it a point to attend the last game in case it was her last game. I can't stop thinking of it since.

For all the griping we do on this site, I still feel lucky to live in a major league town. I feel grateful for all the memories I've had with friends and family over decades in both the old and new park. I'm also grateful that I will never figure out why this game drives me crazy but keeps me coming back.

OK, if anybody wants to cue the A. Bartlett Giamatti essay feel free...
Thank you for this post and for putting things in perspective. I agree with everything you said. I've really struggled in 2013 with lots of illness in my family. I've learned to cherish my health. It took me until game #161 to get to Sox Park with my daughter this past Saturday night and we had so much fun.

As for the Sox, I will leave it to their management to make the changes needed to improve the team.
October26 - Twenty-SEVEN years ago, I married my husband on October 26. Since that day, we have been blessed with a wonderful family. Then, on October 26, 2005, when the baseball gods bestowed their good fortunes upon us, we saw the White Sox win the World Series. An incredibly talented team of grinders made every Sox fan's dream come true. My family and I celebrated with reckless abandon. And now, we look forward to that day when our White Sox will once again be World Series Champions!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
The starting pitching was generally pretty damn good.

There are some young position players (A. Garcia, Semien come to mind) with some good promise in the short term.

There have been many teams that went from worst to first in one - two years time.
Hell...Boston went from 67-93 to 97-65 from 2012 to 2013. I don't think the White Sox will do that but I don't think we are in such Dire straits as people may assume. A few astute moves and I think we could be back in the mix in 2 years. The sox have horrible depth in their system, but look to have some decent contributors for next year in Semien, Johnson, Webb, Petricka. And at least some interesting talent to follow in the minors in Anderson, Hawkins, Johnson, Danish and Beck.

If the Sox can sign Jose Abreu draft a top end SP we may start a relatively quick turn around. More needs to be done, yes.....but I don't think the Sox are as bad as they were this year.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 09-30-2013, 09:33 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Excellent???? based on what. statistically they average about 8th in AL in most categories like ERA. BAA, Saves, Blown saves..... They are even one of the worst teams in a couple of categories like HR allowed, P/PA.
Their pitching was average not excellent. Their offense was awful
Old 09-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Excellent???? based on what. statistically they average about 8th in AL in most categories like ERA. BAA, Saves, Blown saves..... They are even one of the worst teams in a couple of categories like HR allowed, P/PA.
I'm pretty sure he meant starting pitching.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Terrible defense kills a team's overall ERA. When popups that should be caught fall in, or misjudged fly balls fall in, or you only get a force out instead of a GIDP, those all go in the books as hits and earned runs. Our pitching had to face way more batters than normal because of the awful defense.