White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 09:14 PM
WSI Personality

Default Players need be/need not be on team next year

Call ups or other lesser-used players/other teams castoffs who you'd like to be starting next year (I'll start with the given):

- A Garcia

Semien?
Erik Johnson?
L Garcia?
Danks the lesser?
Old 09-28-2013, 09:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Sale and A. Garcia are my only locks.

Quintana is a lock too but I have a feeling he will be traded for a bat.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:18 PM
WSI High Priest

I hope they can find a spot for Semien, but I think a front line catcher is Job #1. I know Flowers is not the answer, and after a hot start, Phegley cooled off considerably.

SMO
Old 09-29-2013, 09:26 AM
WSI Regular

A. Garcia
Sale
Quintana

Maybe L. Garcia on the bench as a super utility guy.

The rest of the roster is up in the air depending on potential offseason trades and signings.

Catcher is a black hole, we will probably need to sign a veteran to play there. Can't go in with Phegley and Flowers next season; they're barely qualified to be backups much less everyday starters. It would also be nice to draft one.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:34 AM
WSI Prelate

I would just make it a point to move the old hitters - Ramirez, Dunn and DeAza. Otherwise, trade anyone you can who will bring more in return and find a CF.
And find some players who can GET ON BASE, although the Sox still don't value that quality very much.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:21 PM
WSI Personality

I keep:

- Sale
- Quintana
- Jones
- A. Garcia

The rest I could take or leave, preferably leave.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Before I could say who I would want to be retained, I would first have to see what could be gotten in return for them. To me no one is untradable on this club.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:20 PM
WSI Guru

I like Erik Johnson and think he will be in the 2014 rotation.

I think Sale and A. Garcia are the only two players that I would say will definitely be on next year's club. Just about everyone else could be traded. No question this was a good year for both Quintana and Santiago. Both made significant strides, especially Quintana. But, the organization is so void of talent in terms of position players, you can't help but wonder if a young pitcher will have to be traded to restock the lineup. Quintana and Santiago would be two candidates to be dealt, because both have value. The arrow seems to be pointing up for both. If you can get an impact bat in return, you have to think about doing that.

Semien is an interesting player, athletic and versatile. I think there are still some areas he needs to shore up. He would benefit from starting next season in AAA. I do believe he will eventually be a starting player in our infield. Not sure which position yet. But, it would be nice if the Sox would make a decision on that, so he can concentrate on one spot. A lot will depend on whether they want to deal Ramirez and/or Beckham this offseason.

Change is inevitable. We'll just have to wait and see what Hahn does.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 09-29-2013, 09:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

De Aza need not be on the team, and he typifies all the boneheaded play all year. Get rid of him. Hahn needs to find people who know how to play fundamental baseball.

Others I would like to see gone: Viciedo, Keppinger, Gillaspie, Ramirez.

Unfortunately, they are stuck with Dunn, though there would be no stronger message that bad baseball will not be tolerated by just dumping him and eating his contract.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Anyone can and should be up for trade after this disasterous season, but the three we should keep in general are Sale, Quintana and Garcia. (It would be a big mistake to trade Quintana. He has good stuff, knows how to pitch and is smooth as silk, which means he probably will avoid any injury problems. He's already a heck of a pitcher and he will improve.)

Five players need to go:

-- De Aza and Ramirez are at the top of the list for their extremely and continued dumb play. They are what they are, talented physically but mentally deficient in a major way. In short, they're losers.

-- Flowers and Phegley are two catchers who can't catch the ball or hit. Neither rates as even a semi-competent backup. Release Flowers. Send Phegley back to the minors and see if he can improve.

-- Axelrod belongs in semi-pro. He needs to be released. There's no reason to even waste a few spring-training innings on him.

The team has many other problems, but these should be no-brainers to anyone who watched the team throughout this painful season.

I won't take this organization seriously again until Ventura is gone. It's a joke he hasn't been fired. I've never seen a Sox team player dumber or be more unprepared to play. As far as those who wore a uniform this season, Ventura was the worst at his job.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:10 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Anyone can and should be up for trade after this disasterous season, but the three we should keep in general are Sale, Quintana and Garcia. (It would be a big mistake to trade Quintana. He has good stuff, knows how to pitch and is smooth as silk, which means he probably will avoid any injury problems. He's already a heck of a pitcher and he will improve.)

Five players need to go:

-- De Aza and Ramirez are at the top of the list for their extremely and continued dumb play. They are what they are, talented physically but mentally deficient in a major way. In short, they're losers.

-- Flowers and Phegley are two catchers who can't catch the ball or hit. Neither rates as even a semi-competent backup. Release Flowers. Send Phegley back to the minors and see if he can improve.

-- Axelrod belongs in semi-pro. He needs to be released. There's no reason to even waste a few spring-training innings on him.

The team has many other problems, but these should be no-brainers to anyone who watched the team throughout this painful season.

I won't take this organization seriously again until Ventura is gone. It's a joke he hasn't been fired. I've never seen a Sox team player dumber or be more unprepared to play. As far as those who wore a uniform this season, Ventura was the worst at his job.
I think it would be safe to say that Robin will be returning next year. It must be based on loyality becuase it can't be based on the product we saw.

I would agree DeAza and Ramirez need to go. But they are also 2 of the best offensive players they have on the worst hitting team in the AL. That may mean they have to return while you fill existing holes namely C, IB ?, 3B or 2B if Semien is thought to be a future solution. Hopefully they acquire a solid bat via free agency. If that bat is a CF or SS then you can trade DeAza or Ramirez. But if we as fans think they are bone-headed, it may mean they will not bring back anything of value. Because this team , especially the infield is so weak offensively, the White Sox cannot go get a defensive SS or CF at this point.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:16 AM
WSI Personality

I gotta say I am ALMOST warming up to the idea of seeing what haul we could get for Sale. We have so many holes to fill and I think our starting pitching is pretty much set, and if we lost SALE it wouldn't be the end of the world assuming we fill a LOT of holes with his trade.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:46 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwag View Post
I gotta say I am ALMOST warming up to the idea of seeing what haul we could get for Sale. We have so many holes to fill and I think our starting pitching is pretty much set, and if we lost SALE it wouldn't be the end of the world assuming we fill a LOT of holes with his trade.
I will never warm up to the idea of trading Sale. I think he's a special talent, and he has a team-friendly contract. Sure, he could get hurt; there's always a risk for that. But I just can't support trading someone who is already an All-Star for a bunch of ifs and maybes.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I will never warm up to the idea of trading Sale. I think he's a special talent, and he has a team-friendly contract. Sure, he could get hurt; there's always a risk for that. But I just can't support trading someone who is already an All-Star for a bunch of ifs and maybes.
It may not be ifs and maybes. He should be able to command all star material in return. Too hard to speculate who but this isnt peavy where you knew you were only going to get ifs and maybes.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
I think it would be safe to say that Robin will be returning next year. It must be based on loyality becuase it can't be based on the product we saw.
I'd think Robin coming back is based on his contract, and that Jerry doesn't want to pay for two managers in a rebuilding year. Plus who knows, maybe he can build up to something when given a young roster with some upside instead of probably the most flat, emotionless and unlikeable group of Sox players that I can remember in 40+ years of following the team.

As for offseason moves - they should all be about clearing contracts and bringing in young talent, preferably at the same time.

Dunn's stuck here until the deadline, but someone has to be interested in Danks and Ramirez, with De Aza and Beckham also may be moved since both are getting a salary bump due to arb, and if we want to deal Keppinger, there'd be a bunch of takers.

I'd love to see Hahn go after a good young prospect for Viciedo, since he is what he is, and hopefully we can build the team around a young, dynamic all-around hitter, rather than yet another one-dimensional slugger, which obviously ain't working for us.

As for the prospects, I hope the Sox can acquire "placeholder" big league players so not to rush prospects to the bigs before they're ready. Semien and Johnson should start the year in AAA.

The catcher position needs a complete rethink. A.J.'s a free agent again this year...