White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29,205
Blog Entries: 52
Default 2013 Season Final Thoughts and Some Positive Thoughts

A lot of good came out of this season. The end result looks brutal on paper, and the journey was as painful as ever. However, many positives came out of the season.

The Sox now know where they stand at catcher. Neither Flowers nor Phegley is the answer. You know what you have in both guys, and I expect the Sox to go after someone over the winter.

Quintana proved that 2012 was not a fluke, which places him now as either the #2 Sox starter or a valuable trade piece.

The Sox escaped from the remainder of the Rios and Peavy contracts, freeing up money immediately and for the future.

The Sox, whether by accident or careful planning, acquired Avisail Garcia who looks like he could be a stud in the lineup for many years to come.

The two Cal kids came up and looked like they are actual baseball players that know the game.

Rienzo and Santiago showed promise at time as starters. Purcey and Webb could be solid contributors out of the bullpen.

Jordan Danks surprisingly played some ball in the last two months and probably secured himself a role and gave the Sox some flexibility in deciding what to do with DeAza and Viciedo this winter.

At the park, tickets were cheap, bathroom lines were non-existant and promotions were good, so it was a fun year to go to games minus the general product on the field.

Despite the obvious flaws and questions that remain, did I miss any positives?
__________________


2014 Attendance Record: 3-3, 0.500

Last edited by Brian26; 09-29-2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: subject verb agreement
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-29-2013, 06:24 PM
jamokes jamokes is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mokena,IL
Posts: 577
Default

The White Sox were the third worst team in baseball. You're drinking waaayyy too much kool-aid to put any positive spin on this year. The Cubs tried to be bad and we were worse. Dunn was a terrible pick up.......Paulie is over the hill........sorry but we are a long way off and considering the Indians have a real manager and the Tigers are one of the best teams around, we're in trouble for a few years.

Now really, do you trust the Sox upper management?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-29-2013, 06:27 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29,205
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamokes View Post
The White Sox were the third worst team in baseball. You're drinking waaayyy too much kool-aid to put any positive spin on this year. The Cubs tried to be bad and we were worse. Dunn was a terrible pick up.......Paulie is over the hill........sorry but we are a long way off and considering the Indians have a real manager and the Tigers are one of the best teams around, we're in trouble for a few years.

Now really, do you trust the Sox upper management?
I trust Hahn in the rebuild mode more than I trust Kenny. The Dunn and Rios pickups did not work. Peavy was questionable. Hahn's job is to clean up the mess. The Sox were terrible, that is not up for debate.

The point of the thread is to highlight any positives that came out of the season. You thought there were none, so thanks for participating.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-29-2013, 06:28 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 25,892
Default

The starting pitching was generally pretty damn good.

There are some young position players (A. Garcia, Semien come to mind) with some good promise in the short term.

There have been many teams that went from worst to first in one - two years time.
__________________

All hail The Rick
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-29-2013, 06:38 PM
roylestillman's Avatar
roylestillman roylestillman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Morgan Park
Posts: 2,035
Default

Not necessarily a positive thought, but something that I saw today that put things really in perspective. I was sitting up in the 300 level today and as we were leaving the game, this family was walking toward us in the concourse. One guy was pushing what I assumed to be his mother in a wheel chair. She was not real elderly, but she looked quite frail. She was also crying her eyes out. It sounds awful, but all I could wonder is if her health was so bad and that she wanted to make it a point to attend the last game in case it was her last game. I can't stop thinking of it since.

For all the griping we do on this site, I still feel lucky to live in a major league town. I feel grateful for all the memories I've had with friends and family over decades in both the old and new park. I'm also grateful that I will never figure out why this game drives me crazy but keeps me coming back.

OK, if anybody wants to cue the A. Bartlett Giamatti essay feel free...
__________________
2014 Home Attendance Record 3-8
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-29-2013, 07:05 PM
Mr. Jinx Mr. Jinx is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 788
Default

I trust the Sox will get their scouts polo shirts next year.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-29-2013, 07:14 PM
amsteel amsteel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,978
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
I trust the Sox will get their scouts polo shirts next year.
#PoloImpact
#TheWilltoWearPolos
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-29-2013, 07:29 PM
chisoxfanatic's Avatar
chisoxfanatic chisoxfanatic is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Brent Seabrook's guest room
Posts: 25,716
Blog Entries: 1
Default

I posted this on Facebook, and I might as well post this here too. While this was the first year since 1993 that I did not attend a game, I'm very happy that this team at least didn't hit the century mark in the loss column.
__________________
2013-2014 Blackhawks Attendance Record: 19-7-5 (Next Game: 9/23 vs. Detroit Red Wings - Preseason Opener)

26 Other Games I have (all season tickets): 10/11 vs. Buffalo (home opener), 10/16 vs. Calgary, 10/21 vs. Philadelphia, 10/28 vs. Anaheim, 11/2 vs. Winnipeg, 11/7 vs. Washington, 11/9 vs. San Jose, 11/16 vs. Dallas, 12/5 vs. Montreal, 12/16 vs. Minnesota, 12/21 vs. Toronto, 12/23 vs. Winnipeg, 1/4 vs. Dallas, 1/6 vs. Colorado, 1/16 vs. Winnipeg, 1/18 vs. Dallas, 1/20 vs. Arizona, 2/9 vs. Arizona, 2/11 vs. Vancouver, 2/20 vs. Colorado, 2/22 vs. Boston, 2/24 vs. Florida, 3/6 vs. Edmonton, 3/17 vs. New York Islanders, 3/27 vs. Columbus, 4/2 vs. Vancouver
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-29-2013, 07:39 PM
SoxSpeed22 SoxSpeed22 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,715
Default

At least we have some decent things to work with.
Our overall nucleus got a lot younger and there are less big contracts on this team. Overall, management did what they were supposed to when it comes to rebuilding. There are still a lot of changes that need to be made though. They might be able to be a near-.500 team if they clean up the baserunning, defense and little things.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-29-2013, 07:59 PM
johnny bench johnny bench is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I trust Hahn in the rebuild mode more than I trust Kenny.
I too am glad that we got some big salaries out of the way. I am especially encouraged to hear Hahn talk of allocating a lot of those dollars to building the minor league system and beefing up scouting as a priority. Done properly, it's a strategy for building lasting value in place of a yearly high wire act.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-29-2013, 08:27 PM
JB98's Avatar
JB98 JB98 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 27,306
Default

The best thing you can say is the Sox seem to have a lot of options. Payroll has been freed up. You've really only got two bad contracts on this team now (Dunn, Danks the older). Last offseason, Hahn was somewhat handcuffed in what he could do. There was just way too much money tied up in a handful of players. That's not the case any longer thanks to what I thought were some pretty good midseason deals. The players who needed to be dealt were dealt.

We did have several younger players make some strides this year: Sale, Quintana, Santiago, Semien, Johnson, Webb, Petricka. A. Garcia is a huge pickup. I think he's a future cornerstone. L. Garcia might be able to help us too.

No. 1 on my wish list is a new catcher. Boy, did the Sox bungle that situation this year. Gotta get some help from outside the organization there.
__________________
JB's attendance record:
2004: 14-5; 2005: 16-8; 2006: 19-10; 2007: 8-12; 2008: 15-7; 2009: 6-13; 2010: 12-11; 2011: 9-8; 2012: 11-7; 2013: 8-9; 2014: 4-6; Total: 122-96.
Next game: Aug. 3 vs. Minnesota

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29,205
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny bench View Post
I too am glad that we got some big salaries out of the way. I am especially encouraged to hear Hahn talk of allocating a lot of those dollars to building the minor league system and beefing up scouting as a priority. Done properly, it's a strategy for building lasting value in place of a yearly high wire act.
That's where we are right now. Oddly though, if we were in a position where the Sox were one or two players away, I would feel more confident with Kenny being the guy to go for it, even if behind the scenes. It's almost like the Sox need to get back to point B again, like they were between, say, 2000-2004, before they can even consider looking at point C.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 5,225
Default

In my opinion, the biggest positive to draw from this year is dramatically increased financial flexibility. With 2013 now off the books, the only player who is truly handcuffing this team going forward is John Danks (although Jeff Keppinger's deal makes me cringe, too.) I don't see Alexei Ramirez's contract as being totally unmovable, and I think that somebody will give up something decent for him this offseason, freeing up even more money.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and letís fight tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-29-2013, 08:42 PM
GoSox2K3 GoSox2K3 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post


The two Cal kids came up and looked like they are actual baseball players that know the game.

Rienzo and Santiago showed promise at time as starters. Purcey and Webb could be solid contributors out of the bullpen.

Jordan Danks surprisingly played some ball in the last two months and probably secured himself a role and gave the Sox some flexibility in deciding what to do with DeAza and Viciedo this winter.

At the park, tickets were cheap, bathroom lines were non-existant and promotions were good, so it was a fun year to go to games minus the general product on the field.

Despite the obvious flaws and questions that remain, did I miss any positives?
Who are the two Cal kids?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-29-2013, 08:58 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
A lot of good came out of this season. The end result looks brutal on paper, and the journey was as painful as ever. However, many positives came out of the season.

The Sox now know where they stand at catcher. Neither Flowers nor Phegley is the answer. You know what you have in both guys, and I expect the Sox to go after someone over the winter.

Quintana proved that 2012 was not a fluke, which places him now as either the #2 Sox starter or a valuable trade piece.

The Sox escaped from the remainder of the Rios and Peavy contracts, freeing up money immediately and for the future.

The Sox, whether by accident or careful planning, acquired Avisail Garcia who looks like he could be a stud in the lineup for many years to come.

The two Cal kids came up and looked like they are actual baseball players that know the game.

Rienzo and Santiago showed promise at time as starters. Purcey and Webb could be solid contributors out of the bullpen.

Jordan Danks surprisingly played some ball in the last two months and probably secured himself a role and gave the Sox some flexibility in deciding what to do with DeAza and Viciedo this winter.

At the park, tickets were cheap, bathroom lines were non-existant and promotions were good, so it was a fun year to go to games minus the general product on the field.

Despite the obvious flaws and questions that remain, did I miss any positives?
My big positive is the ineptness of management - from the front office to the dugout, has been exposed and exposed early in Hahn's term as evidenced by his poor off-season and reliance on players that didn't belong on a major league roster in key roles. Even if we don't clean house this year, it's only a matter of time before we can turn the page and move on to a front office that knows how to win.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.