White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 09:51 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon44 View Post
I'm thinking the news somehow leaked, and Hahn told Manto tonight rather than him finding out on his smartphone.
Good call.

2013 Attendance Record: 7-9, .438
Old 09-28-2013, 09:51 PM
WSI Regular

Does it seem like this ball team cans hitting coaches more often than other teams? Sacrificial Lamb, Scapegoat, Whipping Boy: You name it. Is he the reason there are zero plus OBP guys on the roster? It's a place to start.

Hahn does a nice press conference compared to Kenny. At least the writers have got to like his direct approach better.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:55 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
Does it seem like this ball team cans hitting coaches more often than other teams? Sacrificial Lamb, Scapegoat, Whipping Boy: You name it. Is he the reason there are zero plus OBP guys on the roster? It's a place to start.
The Sox went through hitting coaches like a hot knife through butter in the late 90s. Buckner, Ron Jackson, Gary Ward (did he have two tours of duty?). Things settled down a bit when Von Joshua came in before the Walker's close to nine year run.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:24 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
A lot of that used to be Jeff Cox, who actually did some teaching at the major league level. Cox taught Ramirez how to bunt, Ramirez never having bunted before he came up to the White Sox.

Major league coaching is usually a maintenance thing rather than an instruction thing, although Ted Williams and Charley Lau did some successful instructing at the major league level. Minor league coaches are more often the instructors. Hitting coaches don't teach players to hit at the major league level. They work with them to get the most out of what they can do. Hitting coaches in some organizations and pitching coaches in others tend to be scapegoats. In a few cases (Rudy Jaramillo comes to mind) they get too much credit.

You would have to be part of the team, though, to know if Manto was a scapegoat or if he was having problems working with the hitters.
Yeah I think your right on this. Although I could be wrong but I did hear once that Manto instructed hitters to swing at the first pitch. If true, I can't see that being a good approach to hitting.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:56 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Who is the fielding coach?
Who is the base running coach?
Who is the hit the cut off man coach?

Those guys need to go too.
I posted a comment Dennis Eckersley posted after an early September Red Sox/White Sox series in Boston. The White Sox had made several bad plays:

1. A flyball that fell among 2nd/RF/CF gathering
2. A catcher throw into CF on a steal
3. A stolen base and neither 2nd or SS covered so no throw
4. A pop up at the mound that looked like a fire drill but was caught.

Eck then commented that the Red Sox both home and away have aggressive infield sessions before games.
Now Boston has had 3 different 3B and SS and 2 IB this season due to injuries and the Peavy trade so that explains some of the extra workouts.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:58 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxman219 View Post
Everyone needs to go
I agree, let's release the entire roster too. Sale and Garcia, time to get your outright release.

I don't understand this mindset. Does the vast majority of the roster and coaching staff need an overhaul? Yes. But to act as if there are zero players on the team worth keeping is just absurd.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:07 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
This is a good point. Yeah, they can't hit, but they didn't do much of anything else right, either. Just firing Manto is a sacrificial lamb move, when the team needs an overhaul. There'd better be more coming.
According to ESPN article, Hahn said no other changes will be made and Robin will return.
Better than that is the Dunn comment that "You're not going to find a better hitting coach".....................................

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story...ach-jeff-manto
Old 09-29-2013, 09:20 AM
WSI Regular

Well, there's the scapegoat.

I'll admit that a few years ago I wanted Walker fired, but then I slowly came to the conclusion that it's more a matter of talent (or lack thereof) than the ML level hitting coach. We just simply don't have many good hitters on this team.

This is just to keep the fans with pitchforks at home, and they can plod through Ventura's final year and then maybe replace him. I knew the Sox weren't going to pay him to not manage next year, but they had to offer up some kind of sacrificial lamb.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:24 AM
WSI Prelate

Next time, have your team work on fundamentals like fielding and baserunning, Mr Manto. And don't intentionally walk Chris Getz.

Ventura's incompetent even during garbage time. He puts L Garcia everywhere but SS, and when he starts, he leads off, even though he's the worst hitter on the team.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:29 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Assistant hitting coach Harold Baines will fill the role for the final game of the season.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 09-29-2013, 10:39 AM
WSI High Priest

Not sure if this solves anything, since we need an organizational approach to hitting fundamentals, especially when it comes to pitch recognition, plate patience and how to approach an at-bat.

But if we're going to have a younger team next year, Manto needed to either change his approach or be gone to give these younger players a chance instead of always being behind the count due to the preached "aggressiveness".

You don't set up kids to fail like that, hitting is hard enough at the big league level to give the pitcher advantages.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:11 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
According to ESPN article, Hahn said no other changes will be made and Robin will return.
Better than that is the Dunn comment that "You're not going to find a better hitting coach".....................................

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story...ach-jeff-manto
Oh come the **** on!!!
Old 09-29-2013, 01:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
Yeah I think your right on this. Although I could be wrong but I did hear once that Manto instructed hitters to swing at the first pitch. If true, I can't see that being a good approach to hitting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Not sure if this solves anything, since we need an organizational approach to hitting fundamentals, especially when it comes to pitch recognition, plate patience and how to approach an at-bat.

But if we're going to have a younger team next year, Manto needed to either change his approach or be gone to give these younger players a chance instead of always being behind the count due to the preached "aggressiveness".

You don't set up kids to fail like that, hitting is hard enough at the big league level to give the pitcher advantages.
I recall seeing a study several years ago that first-pitch batting averages were much higher. Frank Thomas' average was extremely high.

If a pitcher is going to grab a quick strike by throwing a fastball down the middle or nothing curve ball, the batter needs to kill it. I doubt anyone coaches to simply swing at the first pitch. The pitcher's tendencies should be figured out by reviewing tape and discussed in pre-game meetings.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm not one of the tinfoil hat wearers that constantly questions management, but I really think having Hawk break the news during the game is totally classless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 09-29-2013, 04:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Did Rongey's head explode?