White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 09:53 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Konerko's homer was one of the two runs the Sox scored last night, so I don't comprehend this "he hurts the team whenever he is out there" line. His bat speed has been reduced and the power is diminished, but his production isn't going to be replaced by anyone directly or indirectly in the system from what I can tell (that includes moving Viciedo to 1B and bringing up one of the Charlotte OFers).
That's great that he had a home run last night, but he has a -1.4 WAR for the season. There are options that exist beyond this organization and it will be laughably easy to replace his production. This hypothetical player could even help the Sox beyond 2014.

You won't agree with me, so I'll just say that I hope he retires and makes the decision easier for the Sox.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:57 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
No speed, no range, and a 0.250 average? They can grossly overpay for that kind of production on the open market and it would still be cheaper than resigning Konerko.
I'm not expecting speed or range from the first baseman, nor is it necessary. The .250 average is what it is.

Do we know what Konerko wants in terms of salary? I am guessing if he openly states that next year is the final year, he's lost his negotiation leverage and is not going to be asking for $10 million.

1 year, $5 or $6 million, 120 games rotating between 1B and DH while the Sox continue to figure out where they are going.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 09-27-2013, 10:03 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
That's great that he had a home run last night, but he has a -1.4 WAR for the season. There are options that exist beyond this organization and it will be laughably easy to replace his production. This hypothetical player could even help the Sox beyond 2014.

You won't agree with me, so I'll just say that I hope he retires and makes the decision easier for the Sox.
No, I see where you're coming from. If I thought the Sox were anywhere close to contending next year, I'd be all for that. I just don't think they're at that point.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:03 PM
WSI Prelate

I would not be against Konerko coming back as a cheap option at 1B but only if and only if the Sox spend well and smart to upgrade other areas.

Contrary to the majority belief, I don't expect the Sox to be in re-building mode next year or the near future. Too much to lose if we continue to have solid pitching go to waste year in and year out.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I'm going to present an opinion that is probably widely unpopular here.

If Konerko wants to come back for one more season, I give him one more season.

Konerko gave the Sox "discounts" on his last two contracts. On the last contract, not only did he give a discount but he deferred money so they could re-sign AJ and bring in Dunn. In an orginazation that honors loyalty and works on handshake deals, Konerko is owed a favor. Whether or not he wants to take it, that's his decision. But, the favor is there.

As far as rebuilding, the Sox are not going to contend next year and have nothing in the pipeline for 1B or DH. Viciedo is not going to play first here, and I don't know if Andy Wilkins is a reasonable consideration. Konerko's not going to kill you on what will probably be a last place team again.
I don't think it's so much that it's an unpopular idea, but rather that the people who are against bringing him back are more vocal than those who aren't. People are more likely to speak out when something upsets them than they are when something pleases them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
I would not be against Konerko coming back as a cheap option at 1B but only if and only if the Sox spend well and smart to upgrade other areas.
Agreed. And really, what does bringing him back for one more year hurt? It's not like we've got someone in the minors he'd be holding back.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:37 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
It's not that simple.

They had to exercise a 3.5 million dollar option to get out of paying Thomas.

They also gave up their starting CF to get Thome.

Thome was better than Thomas from 2006-2008, but they should not have had to give up Rowand for him, considering everyone knew that the Phillies wanted to get rid of Thome.

I have no idea why the White Sox would want Konerko back, part-time or full-time. He hurts the team whenever he is out there. Give someone else a chance to play.
Rowand was due for major money soon and they thought they had the next CF right there for peanuts. So they gave Rowand's money to Thome and would have been better off standing pat with Rowand and Frank. Hindsight. Kenny had it in for Frank. That may have been the X-factor behind it all.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:19 PM
WSI Regular

Default Paulie

I'll be there tomorrow for Paulie, and really hopes he comes back in 2014. PK always comes back after a down year. 2004, 2009, 2014? Hell Yes!
Old 09-28-2013, 05:47 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
Rowand was due for major money soon and they thought they had the next CF right there for peanuts. So they gave Rowand's money to Thome and would have been better off standing pat with Rowand and Frank. Hindsight. Kenny had it in for Frank. That may have been the X-factor behind it all.

The injury that sidelined Thomas in 05 was a fracture in his left foot. The previous year he was sidelined with a fractured left ankle. He was 37 years old in 2005, I am sure his age and coming back from these injuries was the major consideration in not signing him.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshanahanjr View Post
I'll be there tomorrow for Paulie, and really hopes he comes back in 2014. PK always comes back after a down year. 2004, 2009, 2014? Hell Yes!
Yeah, but he's never been 38 years old before.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
Konerko was being heavily courted by Arte Moreno and the Angels and he even stated that he came close to signing with them. KW needed a big bat as protection for Konerko in the lineup or replacement power if he left. Yes KW apparently had issues with Frank but I don't blame him one bit for making the trade for Thome.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/ANGELS...L.-a0143041210
Old 09-28-2013, 07:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

People do know, right, that Paulie said yesterday that -- for this club only -- he might be open to a part-timer, coming-off-the-bench deal a la Giambi, for much less than the money owed him next year. He and his family love it here. He's going to think about it for a month.

That said, I don't know if the team would go for such a thing.