White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 09-26-2013, 07:17 PM
slavko slavko is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Suburban
Posts: 5,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Pk played in a more hitter friendly era, but Santo played most of his career in a little bandbox known as Wrigley Field. Cubs fans seem to forget about Santos last year with the White Sox. Santo hit.221 with 5 home runs and 41 rbis in 1974. Those wind blown Wrigley Field Home runs were just long outs at Comiskey Park. Being the cry baby that Santo was I wasn't surprised when Santo blamed White Sox manager Chuck tanner for his dismal 1974 season.
Dangerous territory for us seeing where today's Sox play. I wish the dimensions were bigger, esp. with the likely makeup of the upcoming teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelrod View Post
If the Sox offer PK a token offer, he'd be smart to accept it. Jermaine Dye wanted to find out his market value,, and did!
I personally have no problem having Paul on the team next year and going out in style. No one ever wants to end their careers, and he deserves a chance to finish on a high note.
Dye's importance to the team can't be compared to Konerko's. If he thinks sitting on the bench for $1.5M is going out in style, he should be allowed to do it. And I think he wants to keep going! At least Beckham said so not that long ago.
__________________
Ya Ta Hey, Black Crow.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-26-2013, 09:58 PM
ChiSoxGirl's Avatar
ChiSoxGirl ChiSoxGirl is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wishing I was on the Carnival Legend
Posts: 5,938
Default

I was just watching WGN News and, during the sports segment, Rich King said Konerko is meeting the media tomorrow and is expected to discuss his future plans.
__________________
[IMG][/IMG] The 2005 World Champion White Sox: Thanks for a lifetime of memories!
final 2014 Record: 7-8 Next Game: Opening Day 2015
I ♥ Pods; I ♥ SUMMER!!!!
Robin!


Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12

Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-27-2013, 01:14 AM
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 23,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post
I was just watching WGN News and, during the sports segment, Rich King said Konerko is meeting the media tomorrow and is expected to discuss his future plans.
Very curious as to what that could be. If it's a retirement speech, it's probably better than watching him struggle for another whole season regardless of what uniform he'd be wearing.
__________________
Bullpen wanted
Good arms now being accepted at 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-27-2013, 10:37 AM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 14,356
Default

Is he holding a press conference or is he just talking to reporters? If he is having a press conference, I think he is announcing his retirement.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-27-2013, 10:48 AM
Rocky Soprano Rocky Soprano is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Munster, IN
Posts: 8,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Is he holding a press conference or is he just talking to reporters? If he is having a press conference, I think he is announcing his retirement.
I would think that if it was to announce his retirement the Sox would have sent out word about a press conference.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 09-27-2013, 03:57 PM
ChiSoxGal85's Avatar
ChiSoxGal85 ChiSoxGal85 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Geneva, IL
Posts: 5,413
Default

Listening online on CSNChicago now...
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 09-27-2013, 04:04 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,168
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Konerko says he will take a month off to "decompress" and decide what he wants to do...

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/...decided-future

Admits that if he does play next year, that will probably be his last.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 09-27-2013, 04:50 PM
Dibbs Dibbs is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Downers Grove
Posts: 1,894
Default

Time to cut ties. If we can cut ties with Frank when he was still productive, we sure don't need a nonproductive Konerko during a rebuild.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 09-27-2013, 09:00 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29,422
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibbs View Post
Time to cut ties. If we can cut ties with Frank when he was still productive, we sure don't need a nonproductive Konerko during a rebuild.
I'm going to present an opinion that is probably widely unpopular here.

If Konerko wants to come back for one more season, I give him one more season.

Konerko gave the Sox "discounts" on his last two contracts. On the last contract, not only did he give a discount but he deferred money so they could re-sign AJ and bring in Dunn. In an orginazation that honors loyalty and works on handshake deals, Konerko is owed a favor. Whether or not he wants to take it, that's his decision. But, the favor is there.

As far as rebuilding, the Sox are not going to contend next year and have nothing in the pipeline for 1B or DH. Viciedo is not going to play first here, and I don't know if Andy Wilkins is a reasonable consideration. Konerko's not going to kill you on what will probably be a last place team again.
__________________


2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 09-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Mr. Jinx Mr. Jinx is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I'm going to present an opinion that is probably widely unpopular here.

If Konerko wants to come back for one more season, I give him one more season.

Konerko gave the Sox "discounts" on his last two contracts. On the last contract, not only did he give a discount but he deferred money so they could re-sign AJ and bring in Dunn. In an orginazation that honors loyalty and works on handshake deals, Konerko is owed a favor. Whether or not he wants to take it, that's his decision. But, the favor is there.

As far as rebuilding, the Sox are not going to contend next year and have nothing in the pipeline for 1B or DH. Viciedo is not going to play first here, and I don't know if Andy Wilkins is a reasonable consideration. Konerko's not going to kill you on what will probably be a last place team again.
I don't see how that is "wildly unpopular" at all. If Paulie wants to come back for one more year at a cheap deal, I don't see what the problem is there. That is assuming he understands he won't be an everyday player.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 09-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Deadguy Deadguy is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Peoria
Posts: 1,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Thomas was going to make nice money and they didnt need him to put fans in the seats in 2006. Plus they got Thome.
It's not that simple.

They had to exercise a 3.5 million dollar option to get out of paying Thomas.

They also gave up their starting CF to get Thome.

Thome was better than Thomas from 2006-2008, but they should not have had to give up Rowand for him, considering everyone knew that the Phillies wanted to get rid of Thome.

I have no idea why the White Sox would want Konerko back, part-time or full-time. He hurts the team whenever he is out there. Give someone else a chance to play.
__________________
"This is an individual sport, under a team concept. No one can swing for you. No one can pitch for you. There's nothing wrong with talking about numbers."
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 09-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29,422
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
I don't see how that is "wildly unpopular" at all.
I'm just going off the pulse from which I see here, which seems to be the majority of the posters commenting in the thread. There will be a strong contingent that says business is business, with no regard for the previous discounts/favors Konerko has given the Sox. I come from the generation that remembers Gamble and Zisk bolting town as soon as they had a good year, and Black Jack McDowell breaking down negotiations before they started with the Sox. 15 years is a long time. I don't expect a Mariano Rivera farewell tour, but you let Konerko go out on his own terms. It has been earned.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 09-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29,422
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
I have no idea why the White Sox would want Konerko back, part-time or full-time. He hurts the team whenever he is out there. Give someone else a chance to play.
Konerko's homer was one of the two runs the Sox scored last night, so I don't comprehend this "he hurts the team whenever he is out there" line. His bat speed has been reduced and the power is diminished, but his production isn't going to be replaced by anyone directly or indirectly in the system from what I can tell (that includes moving Viciedo to 1B and bringing up one of the Charlotte OFers).
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 09-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29,422
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
Thome was better than Thomas from 2006-2008, but they should not have had to give up Rowand for him, considering everyone knew that the Phillies wanted to get rid of Thome.
The Thome/Thomas difference is closer than you say, especially with Frank's Oakland comeback. Rowand was the most replaceable starter on the '05 squad. I was more concerned with the two pitchers the Sox gave up for Thome.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 09-27-2013, 09:50 PM
amsteel amsteel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Konerko's homer was one of the two runs the Sox scored last night, so I don't comprehend this "he hurts the team whenever he is out there" line. His bat speed has been reduced and the power is diminished, but his production isn't going to be replaced by anyone directly or indirectly in the system from what I can tell (that includes moving Viciedo to 1B and bringing up one of the Charlotte OFers).
No speed, no range, and a 0.250 average? They can grossly overpay for that kind of production on the open market and it would still be cheaper than resigning Konerko.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.