White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 06:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Is this the wrong time to ask if Dunn will be at Soxfest?
Old 09-26-2013, 09:44 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Is this the wrong time to ask if Dunn will be at Soxfest?
For what he's paid, I think he should be required to go, as a professional, albeit with a low profile. At least the fans can see if he's keeping in shape or not, let alone if he's studied pitchers and worked on his hitting mechanics to compensate for his age. He may have to endure some boos or cold reception but at least he had done his due diligence. But if he is out of shape, with a lazy winter (maybe a past tendency), then he should show up incognito in a donkey suit. If the latter the Sox should demand he renegotiate his contract.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan1965 View Post
But if he is out of shape, with a lazy winter (maybe a past tendency), then he should show up incognito in a donkey suit.
May I suggest a Soxfest session of pin the tail on the donkey?
Old 09-27-2013, 02:30 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I am all for bring dunn back in 2014, or more accurately I am against paying him $15 million to just to sit at home. I wouldn't let him off the hook.

Since the baseball culture typically doesn't ask players like the NFL to renegotiate their contracts due to poor performance, I don't expect the Sox to ask that of Dunn. Nor do I expect Dunn to be altrustic like Ted Williams who gave back 33% of salary for his perceived poor performance one year.

Given these realities, I would demand of Dunn to work his tail off the offseason. Hopefully Dunn has enough pride in himself to do this. This is his last chance under this contract. If 2014 proves the Sox aren't contenders, I would expect Dunn to play nearly every day or at least platoon.

It's a long shot, but maybe some contenting team may be desperate enough to grab Dunn if/when he's in a hot streak.

But if you just eat his contract, there's no chance of that. Just letting him go home with $15 million is like a golden parachute. Who wants that?

If they are contenders, it's a different story, he will probably hurt the team. I assume he can't be sent to the minors, but if so, he has the right to refuse it??
Baseball culture, sure. Also, MLB contracts are guaranteed, NFL contracts are not.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
He leads the team in homers, RBI, OPS.... He has been one of the few guys who was not a total blackhole at his position. Dunn is not the reason we are where we are.

We are below average offensively right now at 1b, 2b, 3b, C and 2 OF Spots... Our Average DH who is paid to hit home runs is not the issue, or atleast even one of the biggest ones.

Furthermore, lets be real. Reports fly around all of the time that Dunn is GREAT in the clubhouse, and has been a great mentor to a lot of the younger guys.
He's been one of the better hitters on a 100 loss team- who gives a ****?

He's hitting ****ing .216 this year and he's hit .196 over his 3 years with the Sox- how can that NOT be considered one of our issues? If for no other reason than a waste of $15M/season.

Not a single team wanted him at the trading deadline- NOT ONE.

Not sure what reports are flying around "all the time"- but how exactly is he mentoring anyone and how has that had a positive impact? For $15M- why should I care about him being great in the clubhouse?

Wow-----just wow.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 09-27-2013, 09:26 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
May I suggest a Soxfest session of pin the tail on the donkey?
Works for me, but only if I can use a nail gun.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:28 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Since the baseball culture typically doesn't ask players like the NFL to renegotiate their contracts due to poor performance, I don't expect the Sox to ask that of Dunn. Nor do I expect Dunn to be altrustic like Ted Williams who gave back 33% of salary for his perceived poor performance one year.
It's not culture, it's a union. If the Sox asked Dunn to give them back some money, the MLPBA would jam them up with so many lawyers, it would be crazy.

Only 165 games left guys, we can all get through this, BUT WE HAVE TO STICK TOGETHER. WE CAN'T LOSE OUR COMPOSURE, WE'VE COME TOO FAR.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:47 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
It's not culture, it's a union. If the Sox asked Dunn to give them back some money, the MLPBA would jam them up with so many lawyers, it would be crazy.

Only 165 games left guys, we can all get through this, BUT WE HAVE TO STICK TOGETHER. WE CAN'T LOSE OUR COMPOSURE, WE'VE COME TOO FAR.
LOL...yeah i forgot about the union. Well, make lemonade with 165 games.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:41 AM
WSI Regular

This guy needs to keep his mouth shut, head back home to Houston, and work his backside off trying to get in shape and game-ready for the 2014 season - both physically and mentally.

He wants a "heads up" if he's on the block. Give me a break. No one wants this guy unless the Sox are willing to eat a huge portion of his contract. Part of playing in the big leagues is the possibility of being moved around without much advance warning. If you don't like it, go find some other line of work that will pay you $56 million over 4 years.

Is Dunn the only reason why this season was a complete bust? Absolutely not. But he's a major culprit.

Sure, he led the team in home runs and rbis. So what. The Sox are still staring at a near 100-loss season. How many times has he come to plate with runners on and whiffed?

He's great in the clubhouse. Big deal. Dunn would be doing everyone in the organization and the Sox a huge favor by retiring a year early. Imagine having an extra $15 million to play around with next year.

I'm so tired of watching this one-tool fool threaten the season strikeout record each year. And on top of it all, he says he's not having any fun.

If he decides to walk, good riddance. But I'm fairly certain we're stuck with one more year of his non-productivity.

The White Sox instantly become a better team when this guy is gone. Addition by subtraction.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:31 AM
WSI Regular

The back and forth debating over whether he should be notified of a trade assumes that there will actually be trade discussions for him. I can't see any.

If he didn't garner any interest at the deadline or during the waiver period (that we know of) when he was actually hitting, he's certainly not going to be of interest to anyone in the offseason after the comically bad performance he's having right now at the plate.

We're stuck with him, unfortunately. The only hope is he provides enough value in the first half of next year for someone to take him as a rental, but even that seems unlikely.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Only 164 now! We need a game countdown clock.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:30 AM
WSI Personality

Default Buyout?

A few years ago Bobby Jenks had his long term contract bought out by Boston. I don't know know all of the particulars as to how that was done. But is buying out Dunns last year of his contract a possibility? This Dunn experience hasn't worked out here with the White Sox. I think it would be in everybodys best interest if Dunn was not a member of the 2014 White Sox. The last couple of games I've been to, everybody has been booing him after one of his strikeouts. Lets hope the White Sox can move forward next season without Dunn.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

I'm hoping it's less than that and we can trade him at some point next year. My hope is that he hits something like .215-.220 to start the year but has enough HRs and walks to entice someone to take him.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:48 AM
WSI Regular

Default Rosenbloom on Dunn

Old news, but i just noticed Rosenbloom weighed on this in Rosenblog.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...7327170.column

I still think you have to bring Dunn back because you can't give him a big retirement pension gift to sit at home. The off-season started and we hope Dunn starts a rigorous training routine soon to do his part to have a respectable 2014.