White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 12:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
He leads the team in homers, RBI, OPS.... He has been one of the few guys who was not a total blackhole at his position. Dunn is not the reason we are where we are.

We are below average offensively right now at 1b, 2b, 3b, C and 2 OF Spots... Our Average DH who is paid to hit home runs is not the issue, or atleast even one of the biggest ones.

Furthermore, lets be real. Reports fly around all of the time that Dunn is GREAT in the clubhouse, and has been a great mentor to a lot of the younger guys.
Great. Sign him to another 4 year contract. With a raise.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:55 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Great. Sign him to another 4 year contract. With a raise.
Yes, that's exactly what he meant

0-1

LAST GAME: April 12 - Indians 12, Sox 6
NEXT GAME: April 16 vs. Boston
Old 09-26-2013, 01:29 PM
WSI High Priest

So if the Sox are thinking about trading Dunn, and discuss him with other teams, Adam is being unreasonable requesting the team give him a heads up?

Why?
Old 09-26-2013, 01:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
So if the Sox are thinking about trading Dunn, and discuss him with other teams, Adam is being unreasonable requesting the team give him a heads up?

Why?
He's not entitled to a heads up and the team owes him nothing. So yes, he is being unreasonable (and unprofessional) by publicly airing those concerns.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:50 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immigrant View Post
He's not entitled to a heads up and the team owes him nothing. So yes, he is being unreasonable (and unprofessional) by publicly airing those concerns.
Yes, treating your employees like humans, so NOT CHICAGO TOUGH
Old 09-26-2013, 02:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
He'll just have to console himself by rolling around on his Walter White sized pile of cash.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what I meant.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:46 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what I meant.
Please enlighten me then

Quote:
That reads pretty clearly that you are of the opinion that management owes its employees nothing beyond a paycheck. I will say that is... poor, at best, management.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
That reads pretty clearly that you are of the opinion that management owes its employees nothing beyond a paycheck. I will say that is... poor, at best, management.
What in the world are you talking about? We are not talking about how a fast food restaurant treats its minimum wage employees, but a professional sports franchise and a $15M/year athlete that did not negotiate for a no-trade clause. For ****s sake, whether or not the GM informs him that he's part of trade talks has nothing to do with how management treats employees or whether employees are entitled to something beyond a paycheck. Jesus Christ, enough straw men already.

It's not customary in professional sports to let players know they're the subject of trade talks. Exceptions are sometimes made for "special" players but the Sox have no reason to make such an exception for Adam Dunn. **** him sideways. He's done nothing to deserve it.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:14 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
What in the world are you talking about? We are not talking about how a fast food restaurant treats its minimum wage employees, but a professional sports franchise and a $15M/year athlete that did not negotiate for a no-trade clause. For ****s sake, whether or not the GM informs him that he's part of trade talks has nothing to do with how management treats employees or whether employees are entitled to something beyond a paycheck. Jesus Christ, enough straw men already.

It's not customary in professional sports to let players know they're the subject of trade talks. Exceptions are sometimes made for "special" players but the Sox have no reason to make such an exception for Adam Dunn. **** him sideways. He's done nothing to deserve it.

And this is an equally ridiculous overreaction to what by any standard is a complete non-story; Dunn didn't go out of his way to demand respect and open communication with the Sox, he just answered the questions honestly that were posed to him by a reporter. He could have easily given the usual doublespeak cliché BS we're all used to, but he was simply candid. Get over it, he's not asking for anything special.

Though, your attitude that because he is wealthy somehow makes him invalid of not receiving basic respect from his peers and supervisors... Wow, it's a good thing you're on the internet message board with me, that's for sure.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Thank God you do not run The White Sox. Yes, sometimes you have an Aaron Rowand situation where you get blindsided. Most of the time, in a rebuild. The vets get an idea when they are actively being shopped. Rios knew, Peavy knew etc... Dunn has kids and a family, so yah, I get the idea that he would like to think of his family and prepare them.

And the comment about him clearing waivers in september, I guess a bunch of really good players should be ready to be dealt
Old 09-26-2013, 03:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Why would an MLB player want to know if they were being shopped? So they could sulk and say to themselves, my team doesnt love me or find out that they have been shopped and realize nobody wants me, so they can sulk even more? If a team told a player every time they were being shopped, that would be cruel, not the opposite.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23
Though, your attitude that because he is wealthy somehow makes him invalid of not receiving basic respect from his peers and supervisors... Wow, it's a good thing you're on the internet message board with me, that's for sure.
Couldn't help but put up another straw man, huh? Typical.

Speaking of attitudes, this type of bull**** from you is the reason there's only about 8 people left who frequent this message board.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:46 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Couldn't help but put up another straw man, huh? Typical.

Speaking of attitudes, this type of bull**** from you is the reason there's only about 8 people left who frequent this message board.
Aw, and now you need to resort to a personal attack because you can't take the heat?

I've done nothing to manipulate your words, while you've continued to entrench yourself deeper and deeper in this crazy hole you're digging. You don't think the Sox owe Adam Dunn anything, that's fine, it's my opinion (and, if you look a wee bit up, not mine alone), that that is a ****ty way to run any organization, even a baseball team full of good for nothing rich folk, apparently.

Keep at it, though.

Maybe I'd see your point if Dunn was routinely talking about this the way Ozzie used to shake the cage for a contract extension every time someone stuck a microphone in his face, I don't see Dunn doing the same thing, I see a guy just answering a question honestly and people, predictably, flipping their **** out over nothing.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:38 PM
WSI Regular

I am all for bring dunn back in 2014, or more accurately I am against paying him $15 million to just to sit at home. I wouldn't let him off the hook.

Since the baseball culture typically doesn't ask players like the NFL to renegotiate their contracts due to poor performance, I don't expect the Sox to ask that of Dunn. Nor do I expect Dunn to be altrustic like Ted Williams who gave back 33% of salary for his perceived poor performance one year.

Given these realities, I would demand of Dunn to work his tail off the offseason. Hopefully Dunn has enough pride in himself to do this. This is his last chance under this contract. If 2014 proves the Sox aren't contenders, I would expect Dunn to play nearly every day or at least platoon.

It's a long shot, but maybe some contenting team may be desperate enough to grab Dunn if/when he's in a hot streak.

But if you just eat his contract, there's no chance of that. Just letting him go home with $15 million is like a golden parachute. Who wants that?

If they are contenders, it's a different story, he will probably hurt the team. I assume he can't be sent to the minors, but if so, he has the right to refuse it??