White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 11:47 PM
MMXXIII

Reed's fine. The OP of this thread is the same guy who doesn't think Roy Halladay is a HOF Pitcher so I'm going to respectfully disagree with his evaluation of pitchers.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:19 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Reed's fine.
It's hard to believe someone would make a statement like this after Saturday's 9th inning and Tuesday against Giambi serving up two silver platter meatballs, one of which left the premises. So, yes he's fine as long as he's pitching in non-critical games like the remainder of 13' and probably most of 14'
Old 09-25-2013, 12:43 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Reed's fine. The OP of this thread is the same guy who doesn't think Roy Halladay is a HOF Pitcher so I'm going to respectfully disagree with his evaluation of pitchers.
I'm sure Reed has a future in this league, just not as a closer. He'll probably at least make it as a middle reliever somewhere. He might even be a back-of-the-rotation guy if someone wants to take that chance.

How closers work in baseball, at least from what I've seen, is generally "What have you done for me lately?" The Cardinals just moved Mujica out of that role and it's almost postseason time. We should consider ourselves lucky that Jenks was able to keep that role for so long here. Look at how many other teams changed closers during his tenure.

My point is unless Reed is hurt, I'd rather see someone else in the system get a chance. If no one else in Spring Training stands out, then by all means, keep Reed there. Otherwise, I'm about exhausted by this lack of easy save opportunities he's had, especially lately. I know I can't expect every closer in baseball to be Rivera-like, but how long can we see these shenanigans before a change is made?
Old 09-25-2013, 01:09 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain54 View Post
It's hard to believe someone would make a statement like this after Saturday's 9th inning and Tuesday against Giambi serving up two silver platter meatballs, one of which left the premises. So, yes he's fine as long as he's pitching in non-critical games like the remainder of 13' and probably most of 14'
Reed is 24 years old and has been very good for the majority of this, his 2nd full season in the Major Leagues (and first as full-time closer). I understand that to some of you, the idea that a player might need a learning curve in the Majors is unacceptable, but it is what it is.

And if he's not the answer, the Sox have plenty of good young pitching. There are so many other problems with this roster to worry about first.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
Not trying to make excuses, but Reed has not been the same since that stretch in August when he had six saves in six consecutive days. Could it be that he was just over extended?
Robin had no choice, the Sox were gunning for a 65 win season and he pretty much had to go to his closer every single day.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:10 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Robin had no choice, the Sox were gunning for a 65 win season and he pretty much had to go to his closer every single day.
Reed has stats pretty comparable to Rodney, the closer for Tampa. Reed has 39 saves ( 5th in AL) and 8 BLS and Rodney has 36( 7th in AL) and 8. Both have appeared in 67 games. Rodney makes $2.5 mil and Reed makes $520,000. Grant Balfour is 6th in AL with 38 saves and 3 BLS. He makes $4.5 mil. Balfour is 35, Rodney is 36.

I think the Sox should stay w Reed unless they find a better option in house. Closers can be expensive and they are very up and down as evidenced by the careers of Rodney and Balfour.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:36 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Who gives a ****? We aren't going to compete next year. Do we need an elite closer for those 76 wins? We're rebuilding. Keep sending Reed out there.
That's pretty much how I feel about it. The Sox are a long way from competing again. They have bigger things to worry about than whether Reed is a good enough closer.

I'd be in favor of trading him in the off season if we can fetch something valuable in return. But, otherwise, he's not going anywhere.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:43 AM
WSI High Priest

The kid is 24. I think he could still work out. He has 8 blown saves, tied for 2nd highest in the league. Until last night, he had he same number as Rivera and Paplebon. I do think next year will be a make or break year for him, and he has to work on his endurance so he holds up over a long season.

In terms of command and accuracy, its all subjective. He has not walked many guys, but yes, he can miss up in the zone. But that is not uncommon for young relief pitchers. He has nice stuff as seen by a basically 7:2 K:BB ratio. He is not ELITE, but I think he could be reliable. I think his likely 40 saves to end the year will earn him another shot next year.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:49 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Reed has stats pretty comparable to Rodney, the closer for Tampa. Reed has 39 saves ( 5th in AL) and 8 BLS and Rodney has 36( 7th in AL) and 8. Both have appeared in 67 games. Rodney makes $2.5 mil and Reed makes $520,000. Grant Balfour is 6th in AL with 38 saves and 3 BLS. He makes $4.5 mil. Balfour is 35, Rodney is 36.

I think the Sox should stay w Reed unless they find a better option in house. Closers can be expensive and they are very up and down as evidenced by the careers of Rodney and Balfour.
Reed has average stats at best as a closer, I would bet both those guys have better saves percentages , ERA, WHIP, etc. over the last couple years. I don't have to see stats anyway to know every Reed appearance becomes a near miss drama session, a walk here hit, bases loaded, walk off homer. There is no comparing him to any of the good closers in the game at all, stats or not.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:24 AM
WSI Personality

Good, bad, or indifferent, we really should not be putting any money into a closer. Reed/Jones/Lindstrom will be just fine.

Use our resources for more apparent and immediate needs.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:29 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
. I understand that to some of you, the idea that a player might need a learning curve in the Majors is unacceptable, but it is what it
Yours might be, but my idea of entertainment is not to spend $$$ at a ball game to watch some guy learn his craft. Thank God your philosophy does not apply to the real world. We'd have rookie pilots flying 747's, drivers in training behind the wheel of semi's and 4th medical students performing heart surgery.

In the case of the Sox, it doesn't matter. They won't be competing for a while anyway. Reeds performance screams inconsistency. I believe he's had enough time at the ML level to figure it out.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:38 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Yours might be, but my idea of entertainment is not to spend $$$ at a ball game to watch some guy learn his craft. Thank God your philosophy does not apply to the real world. We'd have rookie pilots flying 747's, drivers in training behind the wheel of semi's and 4th medical students performing heart surgery.

Professional sports are not analogous to the real world, you'd think anyone whose paid attention for a while would know that. Pretty much any real world job can be taught; you can teach a guy to perform open heart surgery, you can teach a guy how to drive a semi, you can teach a guy how to fly a plane, you cannot teach a guy to throw a baseball 95 MPH, guys are either born with it or they're not. Except for the very rarest of phenoms, you need to hone your craft in the Majors; you can't learn how to hit MLB pitching until you do it and you can't learn how to pitch to MLB hitters until you do it.

The point remains that Reed is still years away from his physical prime, has shown good growth from 2012 to 2013, and has been fine in the closer's role this season. There's certainly room for improvement, whether that's in the form of growth from Reed or someone else taking over his job is yet to be seen, but it's not a pressing issue. There's at least 30 players on the 40-man roster that warrant more concern than Reed does.

Last edited by doublem23; 09-25-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:04 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Professional sports are not analogous to the real world
My analogy was more facetiousness, and while your point is well taken, you sidestepped the issue. You are asking fans to be patient and watch players grow at the MLB level. The Sox, unlike other organizations, do not not have the player development or talent overall at the minor league level. A huge flaw in the organization that has lead to a historically disasterous season. This isn't Oakland, Pittsburgh, Kansas City or Tampa Bay. This is a big market franchise. Explain to me please how organizations like St Louis and Atlanta are able to figure it out, and the Sox are light years away.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:17 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
My analogy was more facetiousness, and while your point is well taken, you sidestepped the issue. You are asking fans to be patient and watch players grow at the MLB level. The Sox, unlike other organizations, do not not have the player development or talent overall at the minor league level. A huge flaw in the organization that has lead to a historically disasterous season. This isn't Oakland, Pittsburgh, Kansas City or Tampa Bay. This is a big market franchise. Explain to me please how organizations like St Louis and Atlanta are able to figure it out, and the Sox are light years away.
I'm not asking anyone to do anything, if you look through my post history, you'll see I have been vehemently opposed to any kind of long-term "rebuilding" plan that relies solely on internal development and drafting, the 2013 Sox are basically what you end up with, a talentless sack of **** team. I'm hoping that the money saved by dumping Peavy and Rios this season will be used to sign or acquire some MLB-quality talent.

That said, obviously what is different about the Cardinals and Braves, and other good teams is, duh, they have good players while we do not. The Sox's position players are probably going to post a negative WAR. Negative. They're worse than essentially a team of AAAA scrubs. Good teams can afford to ease their rookies into the mix, the Sox have to throw their young kids directly into the fire because there's no one better.

That said, the Sox are a "big market team" in our heads only, they have been near the bottom of the attendance for the league for a good 15-20 years now. I'd be willing to bet that if you factored for overall winning percentage and amount of money management has spent on the MLB roster, the Sox are probably one of, if not the most, unloved and poorly supported franchises by their own fans.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Rank the following players without looking up their names

SV BS SV% K BB WHIP ERA
Player A 36 8 82% 80 35 1.3 3.44
Player B 38 3 93% 69 26 1.2 2.67
Player C 42 6 88% 50 16 1.22 3.15
Player D 44 7 86% 54 9 1.07 2.15
Player E 39 8 83% 71 22 1.11 3.84
Player F 47 9 84% 53 18 1.26 2.94