White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 09:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

Comes back for a one-year at much lower money. Gives the Sox a professional hitter - something like Giambi in Cleveland - and gives us a chance to thank and say goodbye to one of the best players in our team's history.

That's my guess and also my hope.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:10 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
You don't actually think anyone is showing up to the park to watch Konerko flirt with the Mendoza Line, do you?

Im laughing now but yea I still think people will come to see him. Hes the only familiar face on what will be a horrendous club.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

I love Paulie and the contributions he's made to the team over the years. But even if he's willing to play for the minimum (which he won't be), the Sox are better served giving his AB's and roster spot to someone younger and better. It looks like we are going to be stuck with both Dunn and Keppinger next year. Adding Paulie to that mix makes no sense. Let Viciedo DH and find/develop a more athletic corner outfielder who can hit.

Konerko had a great run here. But, sadly, it's over.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:18 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorsSox4367 View Post
Comes back for a one-year at much lower money. Gives the Sox a professional hitter - something like Giambi in Cleveland - and gives us a chance to thank and say goodbye to one of the best players in our team's history.

Do that this weekend. You don't need a whole year to say goodbye to a 38-year-old below average player for another losing team.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:41 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I have no idea why the Sox would want Konerko back. I understand if Paul's not ready to call it a career, but the Sox need to move on.

****, take half of the $13 million he's made this season and offer it to AJ to come back. He at least can still hit.
This is the White Sox. Sentimentality is a big part of this organization. I can definitely see him coming back.

Remember, Jim Thome wanted to come back here for a $1M, 1 year contract at a similar point in his career (his $13M/yr contract had just ended and he was at the tail end of his career. Konerko might come back for that kind of deal.

Since the Sox don't have any star slugging 1B/DH that Paulie is blocking, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorsSox4367 View Post

Don't you have to be able to actually hit the ball to be called this?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:57 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Remember, Jim Thome wanted to come back here for a $1M, 1 year contract at a similar point in his career (his $13M/yr contract had just ended and he was at the tail end of his career. Konerko might come back for that kind of deal.
Yeah, but the Sox didn't bring back Thome even for that low hometown discount.

The Sox's loyalty in the front office personnel has not manifested itself toward players; the team's not so crazy as to start throwing around seven-figure deals for players just because. They've been more than willing to let veteran, fan favorites walk, usually while they still have something left in the tank (as opposed to Konerko, whose career has taken a nosedive the last 1 1/2 seasons).
Old 09-25-2013, 10:32 AM
WSI Guru

No way is he back. I think he ends up like Dye or Thome at the end of their careers, not announcing retirement but left without an offer to play in MLB. Or like Urlacher, the one team he wants to play for doesn't want him anymore, and he retires.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Im laughing now but yea I still think people will come to see him. Hes the only familiar face on what will be a horrendous club.
Are you serious? Nobody goes to games to see Paul Konerko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 09-25-2013, 11:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Konerko discussed the possibility of retirement with Cal Ripken recently. I do believe Paulie when he says he is undecided right now. Personally, I think if the Sox tell Konerko they are moving in a different direction at 1B, he may just hang it up. I'm not so sure if he wants to move elsewhere at this stage of his career. Regardless, Konerko is one of many huge decisions looming this offseason for Rick Hahn.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_cws&c_id=cws
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 09-25-2013, 12:44 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I think some people will come to the ballpark on Sunday to see Konerko one last time, but probably not next year. He's done. I know it. You know. The Sox front office knows it. I hope Paul knows it and walks away.

It won't be long before Chris Sale will be described as a "familiar face" on this club. He's an All-Star who is just entering his prime. Konerko's days are past. It's time to move on.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 09-25-2013, 12:51 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Yeah, we aren't talking about a Griffey or a Ripken here. Everyone loves Paulie. I'm sure in 40 years there will be a few posters here that will remember that everything in the past was better than it really was and declare him a saint, but dude isn't even a fringe HOF guy.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:57 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I think some people will come to the ballpark on Sunday to see Konerko one last time, but probably not next year. He's done. I know it. You know. The Sox front office knows it. I hope Paul knows it and walks away.

It won't be long before Chris Sale will be described as a "familiar face" on this club. He's an All-Star who is just entering his prime. Konerko's days are past. It's time to move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
Yeah, we aren't talking about a Griffey or a Ripken here. Everyone loves Paulie. I'm sure in 40 years there will be a few posters here that will remember that everything in the past was better than it really was and declare him a saint, but dude isn't even a fringe HOF guy.

Maybe you guys are right but Paul is a special guy here. He has more plate appearances as a Sox than anyone but Fox in my lifetime. (and many of Nellies pa's were before I was born or when I was too young). He is the last player on the Sox from the 2005 team which was the most important moment in Sox history for any Sox fan alive. Ive known people that have gone to Sox games just to see a statue of a player. Next year he would be a living statue to come see. (I know he would probably play as one also) Maybe Im just thinking that people will go to the park to remember the best times and he will be the only one to remind them of that. People use the past to get them through bad times.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I think some people will come to the ballpark on Sunday to see Konerko one last time
I'll be there.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Not should he, will he?

Do you think Konerko will want to return? Do you think the Sox will want him back?

For months I thought this season would be it for Konerko. But then last month when he started to hit decently and at least drive in a few runs I was getting the vibe that he'd want to come back in 2014 and go out in a better way both personally and team-wise. However, he's been really bad, almost embarrassingly so, at the plate this month and he's been painful to watch in the field as well. I can't see him thinking it would be a good idea to play in 2014.

As far as the team, I can't see Hahn thinking Konerko has on-field value anymore. But would Reinsdorf like Konerko to return for P.R. purposes?

Personally, I think Konerko is done playing after this weekend.
Konerko's hitting .278 this month. He's been arguably better this month than in other months this year. He hit .209 in July and .228 in August. He had 2 HR and 9 RBI in August, and he has 2 HR and 9 RBI in September. I'm not sure what the "decent" and "really bad" periods you mention are. Is the really bad just the last 9 games when he's hitting .229 with no extra base hits? That's a pretty small sample size.