White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 09:31 PM
WSI Guru

I need this to cheer up a bit.

2013 Attendance Record: 7-9, .438
Old 09-24-2013, 09:31 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
He started his off season a month early. He is 12 for his last 104 ABs with 54 strikeouts.
Yeah. So much for the slim hopes of trying to sucker someone into trading for him. I was hoping he'd continue to hit at a passable level in the 2nd half, but I knew it was probably a foolish thing to hope for, and sadly he has indeed regressed severely.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Reed threw one bad pitch the entire inning . . . and Giambi hits it out. It's that kind of year. Fortunately, we have our stopper starting tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideMike View Post
Yeah. So much for the slim hopes of trying to sucker someone into trading for him. I was hoping he'd continue to hit at a passable level in the 2nd half, but I knew it was probably a foolish thing to hope for, and sadly he has indeed regressed severely.
He had a good couple of months there, the problem is he goes missing for months at a time. As Jim Margalus says, Dunn doesn't go into slumps, he goes into death spirals.

Go Sox!!!
Old 09-24-2013, 09:34 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
The Indians are 3 games above 0.500 against everyone that isn't the Sox. They are gonna get rolled in the playoffs.

You've got to hand it to the Sox for basically gift wrapping playoff appearances for Detroit and Cleveland playoff in the last 2 years.
That's amazing. 3 games over .
Old 09-24-2013, 09:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Reed cannot close out a game without drama. It's exactly like when Jenks stopped overpowering guys, "became a contact pitcher", and people argued that the fact that he was getting a ****-ton of contact didn't matter because he was still getting saves. 1-2-3 innings are just too rare for him to be relied upon to close.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

I've got to hand it to this team. It's just good enough to be spectacularly bad. This season has been epic.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideMike View Post
Well at least Dunn gave us a strong contribution tonight....oh wait.

Apparently he's intent on starting his offseason about a week early. Talk about mailing it in.
If by "strong contribution" you mean getting the golden sombrero once again, then yes, he gave us a strong contribution tonight. Dunn is such a tool.

BTW, has anyone noticed that Rongey hasn't taken calls on the postgame show in weeks? Either he's over dealing with the callers or there aren't any to deal with, so he cuts the show short.
Robin!

Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12

Old 09-24-2013, 09:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post
If by "strong contribution" you mean getting the golden sombrero once again, then yes, he gave us a strong contribution tonight. Dunn is such a tool.

BTW, has anyone noticed that Rongey hasn't taken calls on the postgame show in weeks? Either he's over dealing with the callers or there aren't any to deal with, so he cuts the show short.
I'm more surprised that there's still people even listening to know that this is going on.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:51 PM
WSI High Priest

When he finds the release point on his slider again, he'll be the closer. I'm talking about next year. Get 'em tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Reed reminds me of Bobby Howry. He came up, threw hard with some interesting stuff, looked promising, got the closer role real quick, did ok but not great, and then got really shaky as the fastball velocity dipped and the stuff got tentative and poorly placed. Howry lost his closer role shortly into the 2000 season to Foulke. I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens to Reed next year.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post

As much as some callers are difficult to deal with in a season like this, Rongey acts like an ass to just about everyone who calls in with a comment about anything. If you suggest a possible change, hint that you are worried about someone's struggles, or second guess any move that the manager, GM, coaching staff, or player has made, he will bite your head off and tell you you are dead wrong and had no business even considering what you said, and he'll get super defensive on behalf of whoever you just mentioned with a smug "you don't know the whole story so you should even be given the time to finish your call" tone. He's right, the caller is wrong, and him being right also means that whatever the player/coach/manager/GM/owner decided was also right, and you had no business calling in and trying to discuss it in the first place. It's the worst model you could possibly have for a call-in post game show.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Reed cannot close out a game without drama. It's exactly like when Jenks stopped overpowering guys, "became a contact pitcher", and people argued that the fact that he was getting a ****-ton of contact didn't matter because he was still getting saves. 1-2-3 innings are just too rare for him to be relied upon to close.
I'm with you. I hate that mentality. Likes something silly Rongey would say. They good to great closers get were they are not playing games nibbling and over thinking. And getting a ton of 123 innings. Pitching to contact as a reliever doesn't make them long for the game.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
As much as some callers are difficult to deal with in a season like this, Rongey acts like an ass to just about everyone who calls in with a comment about anything. If you suggest a possible change, hint that you are worried about someone's struggles, or second guess any move that the manager, GM, coaching staff, or player has made, he will bite your head off and tell you you are dead wrong and had no business even considering what you said, and he'll get super defensive on behalf of whoever you just mentioned with a smug "you don't know the whole story so you should even be given the time to finish your call" tone. He's right, the caller is wrong, and him being right also means that whatever the player/coach/manager/GM/owner decided was also right, and you had no business calling in and trying to discuss it in the first place. It's the worst model you could possibly have for a call-in post game show.

He has become worse. I mean what does he expect? Fans to be happy and thrilled with this team? Baseball is the greatest game, because you can 2nd guess a manager or point something out that's wrong. What makes him right and everyone wrong? Because he does interviews with Cooper? Pffft
Old 09-24-2013, 10:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Being a bad team is one thing, but this is some extraordinary kind of bad we're seeing here.
BTW, Reed's career ERA in September is 6.35. Something is not being covered in offseason conditioning if this keeps happening.
Edit: As far as Rongey's postgame goes, I applaud him just for staying sober during those shows this season.