White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 02:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Sorry- 7 months of baseball is very healthy sample size- far from cherry picking.

Over the course of June/July- this team played to a .302 winning percentage (49 win pace over a full season)- that was before they started trading anyone.

Ventura got off to a promising start- but the last 7 months have proven (to me) that he (along with the talent level on the roster) is part of the problem not part of the solution.

One example of a manager who took over mediocre team and got them to play good fundamental/.500 baseball was LaRussa for the horrible 1979 White Sox team he inherited from Kessinger.

I just don't like Ventura's approach (if he has one)- at the Wednesday game- he had Danks and Ramirez both reach base late in the game as the tying runs- but never sent them- why? why not be a little aggressive?

In Balt a few weeks ago- he pinch hits Dunn for Viciedo- late in a game where Viciedo had a few hits, etc.- what was the purpose? Don't you want to develop Dayan as part of the future?
You bring up LaRussa's .500 record his first 2 months managing. Ventura's first 2 months were better. Tony's team lost 90 games the next season. He obviously should have then been fired, correct?
Seriously, there is no one on the planet that could get this roster to play .500 right now. Whether you love or hate Ventura's personality or managerial style, he is not the problem.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I don't buy that. Even a third-grader knows people don't go to games to watch the manager.

"Huh?"
Old 09-20-2013, 03:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I would like that, but from where?
Gotta make some trades. Move a couple of pitchers...that's all we have. I know they're good, but this staff plus 30 wins will get us into the playoffs, so they aren't good enough by themselves.
Then move a couple of duds for their duds and see if the change of scenery helps.
Sign a FA or two- sensibly.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Gotta make some trades. Move a couple of pitchers...that's all we have. I know they're good, but this staff plus 30 wins will get us into the playoffs, so they aren't good enough by themselves.
Remember if you trade staff you wont have the staff. Say you move Quintana and Santiago, What type of staff will the Sox have then? My thinking has always been if they think they can compete next year is trade Sale and get the kings ransom. I dont even know if that would be enough with the few pieces they currently have.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:52 PM
WSI Personality

Icon15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Remember if you trade staff you wont have the staff. Say you move Quintana and Santiago, What type of staff will the Sox have then? My thinking has always been if they think they can compete next year is trade Sale and get the kings ransom. I dont even know if that would be enough with the few pieces they currently have.
I have to disagree. Never trade a number 1 franchise pitcher. As for Santiago or Quintana they are number 3 pitchers at best; making there loss much easier to swallow.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Maybe this will quiet all the posters who think Robin has no interest in managing.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-77487674/
Old 09-20-2013, 05:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
I have to disagree. Never trade a number 1 franchise pitcher. As for Santiago or Quintana they are number 3 pitchers at best; making there loss much easier to swallow.
I dont think they will be pulling rabbits out of the hat in order to be able to compete so this discussion is a moot point.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
So when are we going to trade for the MLB equivalent of Garnett and Allen?
That's the thing. Expectations for Rivers were very low because the team was horrible, but he was amiable and classy and was willing to endure a rebuild. The Garnett/Allen trade was not part of the original plan, but the rebuilding wasn't working, so Ainge had to do something to shake things up. And McHale helped him out.

Ventura was hired as the antidote for Ozzie. He's amiable and classy and willing to endure a rebuild. Problem is, Garnett and Allen are not going to walk through that door.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I realize that. You just have to make it worthwhile. Trotting out this team again won't cut it.

I certainly believe Ventura has an interest in managing. What I would find hard to believe is the Sox having interest in him managing. As said above, were his name not Robin Ventura, he'd be gone in 2 weeks (if not 2 months ago).
Old 09-20-2013, 08:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Maybe this will quiet all the posters who think Robin has no interest in managing.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-77487674/
He is a class guy that always says the right things, we will see what happens after his contract runs out.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

He'll be here one more year, so get used to him.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:54 PM
WSI Prelate

A side question - how has Semien held up defensively?
Old 09-20-2013, 11:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I don't think it was ever part of their thought process to say, "Well, we're gonna suck. Let's placate the fans by hiring Robin Ventura."
Then what was the thought process behind hiring someone with no experience?
Old 09-20-2013, 11:31 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
Since when have the Sox ever cared about experience when hiring a manager?

I'm pretty sure they brought Ventura in because he would restore class and professionalism to the position, which is one thing he has done successfully. As others have noted, he's the anti-Ozzie.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 09-21-2013, 02:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
And the non experienced manager had the team in first place most of last season with a roster full of players this board constantly say sucks.