White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 06:57 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Dodgers Clinch NL West

On June 22nd they were 9.5 out and 11 games under .500, they just clinched the NL West and are the first team to clinch a playoff berth.

Go Sox!!!
Old 09-19-2013, 07:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
On June 22nd they were 9.5 out and 11 games under .500, they just clinched the NL West and are the first team to clinch a playoff berth.
On that same date we were 31-41.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Location: Yes in Ranhco Sahuarita, AZ...(WAS near the home of White Sox spring training baseball)
Icon15

A bunch of Dodgers took a dip in the Chase Field pool, what no security??
Old 09-19-2013, 10:03 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medford Bobby View Post
Hahaha, did this happen immediately after the game or after they cleared out the fans?
Old 09-20-2013, 08:58 AM
WSI High Priest

Hard to believe it's been a quarter of a century since the Dodgers last won a pennant. Maybe this is their year to finally return to the World Series.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
There were rumblings in June about the safety of Mattingly's job; I'm glad they got it turned around. I thought they gave Zack Greinke too much money (along with some other guys) but he sure came through this year.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:37 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medford Bobby View Post
This was a big story in this morning's Republic.There was also an editorial about it, which used the word "classless," and a lot of people are unhappy.

At first, I thought the whole thing was sort of silly, but supposedly this happened despite D'Backs management asking the Dodgers to celebrate in the clubhouse until the fans were cleared, in the interests of safety, a request that was apparently disregarded. And considering the bad blood between the two teams, I think it was a pretty bush thing to do. But not worth complaining to MLB about! And as was pointed out, it's not like the Dodgers have a beautiful pool of their own.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:50 AM
MMXXIII

I've never once heard an opposing team ask another team to not celebrate on their field because of "safety." Sounds more like the D-backs have some sour grapes over choking away the division they led as late as July 21.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:09 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I've never once heard an opposing team ask another team to not celebrate on their field because of "safety." Sounds more like the D-backs have some sour grapes over choking away the division they led as late as July 21.
I totally agree. The crying of some D-back players is pretty amusing. As Jon Heyman wrote on Twitter after the game, if you don't want them celebrating on your field or in your pool don't let them clinch in your home stadium.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:47 AM
WSI Personality

Congrats Dodgers! After this season's run you deserve a dip in the D-backs pool.
Sounds to me like what a lot of what this is about is the underlying inferiority complex many Arizona fans have when it comes to anything LA.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:26 PM
WSI Prelate

The interesting thing about all this is that the D-backs never issued anything to the Dodgers specifically requesting not to jump in their pool. If you just clinched a playoff spot and no one forbade you from going in there, wouldn't you? Yeah, it was goofy, but I don't find them at fault.

Incidentally, I still wonder what went on in that area when the D-backs won the World Series.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
The interesting thing about all this is that the D-backs never issued anything to the Dodgers specifically requesting not to jump in their pool. If you just clinched a playoff spot and no one forbade you from going in there, wouldn't you? Yeah, it was goofy, but I don't find them at fault.

Incidentally, I still wonder what went on in that area when the D-backs won the World Series.
If you mean what went on in the pool, I don't recall hearing about anything negative. Plus, isn't that apples and oranges? D'Backs fans celebrating in the pool--which by the way is not exactly a cheap ticket--is not quite the same thing as Dodgers players jumping in. Medford Bobby, you make a good point about the security issue, but, given the blowback, can you imagine what we'd be hearing if security had kept the Dodgers players out?

Again, I personally think this has been blown out of all proportion. And I agree, the best way to keep a team from celebrating in your face is to win the division.

Re the comment about the "inferiority complex" many Arizona fans have about LA, that may be true for some, but not all. I was in LA only once; I drove out a few years ago to root for my brother, who was a contestant on Wheel of Fortune. One day was enough; I drove back later that night and was happy as hell to be back in Chandler at 1am. The drive out sucked, the traffic sucked, the hotel sucked, and the drive back sucked. We have some air quality problems in Arizona, but yikes, LA! Not much to like, IMO, and nothing to feel inferior about. By and large, I'll take the Valley!

Then again, my brother won a couple of grand on the Wheel, so it wasn't all bad.

Last edited by MarySwiss; 09-21-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
9.5 out in June and they stormed to first place? Didn't they learn from the Sox that you're supposed to choke in August/Sept after doing that?

September is a great time to demand a contract extension!

We would have been better able to compete if Sox fans did a better job of supporting their team.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:25 AM
MMXXIII

In case you didn't get enough of crybabies in Arizona whining:

http://deadspin.com/report-the-dodge...ool-1376699063
Old 09-24-2013, 12:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
In case you didn't get enough of crybabies in Arizona whining:

http://deadspin.com/report-the-dodge...ool-1376699063
Love this comment on the site:
Quote:
The pool was subsequently banned for 100 games for testing positive for 6 different PEDs.