White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 03:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
Most high school coaches I've met have higher credentials to manage this team.
Total hyperbole.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:07 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
Most high school coaches I've met have higher credentials to manage this team.
Probably not

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 09-19-2013, 05:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
If his name wasn't Robin Ventura it wouldn't even be up for debate- he'd be fired the day after the season ended.
And that is the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
Also it's frustrating to know that Ventura won't be the manager in 2015 but he'll be awarded a token role in the organization.
What's frustrating is that the Sox haven't done that yet.
That's exactly what you should do with an organizational favorite who wants a job, but really isn't qualified for something significant.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:25 PM
WSI Prelate

My opinion - the Sox thought two things when bringing Robin in:

1. We are going to suck and this will deflect blame - people will not want to blame a fan favorite who is new to managing.

2. People will come to games because Robin is here despite the record.

1 was right. 2 was wrong.

Note - these two thoughts are exactly what the Cubs had when they considered Sandberg and hired Sveum instead - I think they wanted to avoid any chance of Sandberg tanking with the rebuilding project right out of the gate.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-19-2013, 08:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post

1. We are going to suck and this will deflect blame - people will not want to blame a fan favorite who is new to managing.

1 was right. 2 was wrong.

Note - these two thoughts are exactly what the Cubs had when they considered Sandberg and hired Sveum instead - I think they wanted to avoid any chance of Sandberg tanking with the rebuilding project right out of the gate.
1 was wrong too. This thread proves it.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:30 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
1 was wrong too. This thread proves it.
Heard on Boston radio today that Cubs will probably be looking for a new manager after this season. My guess is Peter Gammons hinted to them that Sveum is going since Gammons is still connected to Theo.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

0. Ozzie was a train wreck. We need someone with class to represent the organization.

3. He has some potential as a leader. We aren't going to contend for several years, so he has time to grow into the role.

4. I'm the meantime, if his inexperience costs us wins, it only helps with the rebuild.

I think they were looking for Doc Rivers with the Celtics.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:59 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
0. Ozzie was a train wreck. We need someone with class to represent the organization.

3. He has some potential as a leader. We aren't going to contend for several years, so he has time to grow into the role.

4. I'm the meantime, if his inexperience costs us wins, it only helps with the rebuild.

I think they were looking for Doc Rivers with the Celtics.
So when are we going to trade for the MLB equivalent of Garnett and Allen?
Old 09-20-2013, 08:09 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
So when are we going to trade for the MLB equivalent of Garnett and Allen?
Another thought is the make-up of next year's team. Hopefully we will have an infusion of young players to add to A. Garcia and the young pitchers. Is Robin and more importantly his staff the right group to develop young players??? If we are going to be playing AAA quality players at the ML level, it is important that the ML coaches are the right group to work with them. Obviously Coop will stay but for example is Manto the right guy to work with young hitters???
Old 09-20-2013, 10:06 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Another thought is the make-up of next year's team. Hopefully we will have an infusion of young players to add to A. Garcia and the young pitchers.
I would like that, but from where?
Old 09-20-2013, 11:51 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I would like that, but from where?

Well, Phegley is a young player. It does appear that Garcia the Lesser and/or Semien masy also be there next year. I think Hahn will add either through free agency or a trade another couple of players which will probably result in at least 1 young position player. From a pitching standpoint, Peavey, Crain and Thornton have left so I assume one or more of their spots will be taken by a young player.

So I think it is safe to assume that next year's roster will start out with 3-4 young position players as well as 5+ young pitchers.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:58 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Well, Phegley is a young player. It does appear that Garcia the Lesser and/or Semien masy also be there next year. I think Hahn will add either through free agency or a trade another couple of players which will probably result in at least 1 young position player. From a pitching standpoint, Peavey, Crain and Thornton have left so I assume one or more of their spots will be taken by a young player.

So I think it is safe to assume that next year's roster will start out with 3-4 young position players as well as 5+ young pitchers.
Just saying if they were guys from our system, probably not a great set of prospects there.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:30 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
Bingo. He was hired as a marketing tool, not to manage the team.
I don't buy that. Even a third-grader knows people don't go to games to watch the manager.

I think they went into 2012 believing they could win. I think they went into 2013 believing they could win. I don't think it was ever part of their thought process to say, "Well, we're gonna suck. Let's placate the fans by hiring Robin Ventura."

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 09-20-2013, 12:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I don't buy that. Even a third-grader knows people don't go to games to watch the manager.

But he might come out of the dugout with a deliberate walk only he can do!
Old 09-20-2013, 02:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Wasn't he the manager from April-September last year? If it's his fault they didn't play well, wouldn't it be his fault they exceeded expections? To me, you are cherry-picking. You only count when the team is bad, and ignore they were in first place last season with a roster that many thought was short.

It's short now, and to complain that it is his fault they are losing after trading Peavy and Rios and Crain and Thornton, is ridiculous. Paulie has been beat up and a shell of his former self. What manager would be getting wins out of this roster right now? Just name one.
Sorry- 7 months of baseball is very healthy sample size- far from cherry picking.

Over the course of June/July- this team played to a .302 winning percentage (49 win pace over a full season)- that was before they started trading anyone.

Ventura got off to a promising start- but the last 7 months have proven (to me) that he (along with the talent level on the roster) is part of the problem not part of the solution.

One example of a manager who took over mediocre team and got them to play good fundamental/.500 baseball was LaRussa for the horrible 1979 White Sox team he inherited from Kessinger.

I just don't like Ventura's approach (if he has one)- at the Wednesday game- he had Danks and Ramirez both reach base late in the game as the tying runs- but never sent them- why? why not be a little aggressive?

In Balt a few weeks ago- he pinch hits Dunn for Viciedo- late in a game where Viciedo had a few hits, etc.- what was the purpose? Don't you want to develop Dayan as part of the future?
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."