White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 09-19-2013, 03:32 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPditka View Post
For Reference: Here is PETCO Park's full beer list this season. It's good to be a Padres fan: CRAFT DRAFT: Ballast Point Sculpin, Ballast Point Pale Ale, Ballast Point Big Eye, Ballast Point Wahoo Wheat, Ballast Point Black Marlin, Karl Strauss Red Trolley, Karl Strauss, Kona Longboard, Kona Fire Rock, Widmer Rotator IPA, Widmer Hefeweizen, Coronado Golden, Stone Pale Ale, Lost Abbey Devotion, and Goose Island. PREMIUM DRAFT: Blue Moon, Leinenkugel's Summer, Third Shift, Batch 19, Stella, Shock Top, Pacifico, Negra Modelo, Modelo Especial, and Victoria. DOMESTIC DRAFT: Coors Light, Bud Light and Budweiser. BOTTLES & CANS: Coronado Golden, Coronado Mermaid, Coronado Orange, Coronado Island IPA, Karl Strauss Amber, Karl Strauss Red, Karl Strauss IPA, Karl Strauss Pale, Ballast Point Longfin Lager, Ballast Point Calico, Ballast Point Pale Ale, Ballast Point Big Eye, Stone Pale Ale, Stone Levitation Ale, Stone IPA, Mission Blonde, Mission Amber Ale, Mission Hefeweizen, Mission IPA, Green Flash Hop Head Red, Green Flash West Coast IPA, Green Flash Double Stout, Manzanita Riverwalk, Manzanita Rustic Horizon, Alesmith "X," Alesmith Anvil Ale, Black Market Bavarian Style Hefeweizen, Black Market Brown Ale, Lightning Elemental Pilsner, Lightning Thunderweizen Ale, Lightning Fair Weather Pale Ale, Lightning Amber Ale, and Port Brewing Wipeout IPA.
Um, wow. That is impressive.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-19-2013, 04:02 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,176
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Um, wow. That is impressive.
Yeah, but San Diego is one of the craft beer meccas in America, isn't it? They're just far and ahead of us in this game. So I'm not really sure it's a fair comparison. How does the Cell compare to the other 28 parks in the league? From my unscientific study over the last few years, pretty good, I think, but it's hard to say because I haven't visited any new parks this summer, so who knows what has changed? The craft beer market is rapidly expanding everywhere.

I will say that by Chicago sports standards, I think the Cell is by far the best in terms of beer drinking options. Definitely way better than Wrigley. Better than the UC, IIRC. Probably better than Soldier Field, but I don't remember for sure because the last time I was there it was 0 degrees at kick-off and I wasn't in much of a beer drinking mood.

But yeah, this Craft Beer Fest is idiotic on every level and they deserve every laugh they get.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-19-2013, 05:11 PM
delben91 delben91 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Um, wow. That is impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Yeah, but San Diego is one of the craft beer meccas in America, isn't it? They're just far and ahead of us in this game. So I'm not really sure it's a fair comparison. How does the Cell compare to the other 28 parks in the league? From my unscientific study over the last few years, pretty good, I think, but it's hard to say because I haven't visited any new parks this summer, so who knows what has changed? The craft beer market is rapidly expanding everywhere.

I will say that by Chicago sports standards, I think the Cell is by far the best in terms of beer drinking options. Definitely way better than Wrigley. Better than the UC, IIRC. Probably better than Soldier Field, but I don't remember for sure because the last time I was there it was 0 degrees at kick-off and I wasn't in much of a beer drinking mood.

But yeah, this Craft Beer Fest is idiotic on every level and they deserve every laugh they get.
Comparing to SD is indeed not apples to apples. There are 60+ microbreweries in San Diego county, I believe 30+ within the city limits (but don't quote me on that). It truly is craft beer heaven out here.
__________________
I've been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-19-2013, 05:24 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I will say that by Chicago sports standards, I think the Cell is by far the best in terms of beer drinking options.
It's not a hard title to hold, but it is totally an easy call.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-20-2013, 08:19 AM
CPditka CPditka is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Logan Square
Posts: 1,096
Default

See below link from Draft Magazine, Im really holding out hope that Lagunitas will have a serious mark on the Cell next year. Their new brewery is appx 5 miles from the Cell. The execuse of they cant produce enough beer to support will not be valid.

https://draftmag.com/features/beertown-u-s-a-chicago-2/




Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Yeah, but San Diego is one of the craft beer meccas in America, isn't it? They're just far and ahead of us in this game. So I'm not really sure it's a fair comparison.
__________________
www.twitter.com/donaldandersen
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 09-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Senerch23 Senerch23 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bridgeport
Posts: 187
Default

The UC has done a much better job of integrating craft beers into the concessions there over the last few years. They may not have as many options as the Cell in regards to variety but the availability is much greater as there aren't only 2 stands selling craft beer at the UC.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 09-20-2013, 09:14 AM
The Immigrant The Immigrant is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Old Irving Park
Posts: 4,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senerch23 View Post
The UC has done a much better job of integrating craft beers into the concessions there over the last few years. They may not have as many options as the Cell in regards to variety but the availability is much greater as there aren't only 2 stands selling craft beer at the UC.
Well, one would hope there would be decent options at the UC given Wirtz's stranglehold on beer distribution in Illinois.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 09-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Mr. Jinx Mr. Jinx is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senerch23 View Post
The UC has done a much better job of integrating craft beers into the concessions there over the last few years. They may not have as many options as the Cell in regards to variety but the availability is much greater as there aren't only 2 stands selling craft beer at the UC.
Maybe downstairs or something? In the upper deck I don't see anything more than bud, labatts, Heineken, and maybe a stray shock top or sam adams.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 09-20-2013, 09:55 AM
roylestillman's Avatar
roylestillman roylestillman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Morgan Park
Posts: 2,071
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
Maybe downstairs or something? In the upper deck I don't see anything more than bud, labatts, Heineken, and maybe a stray shock top or sam adams.
Going to the Hawks pre-season games I noticed that the 300 level now has a couple of stand alone Goose Island carts on the concourse. I think Budweiser's distribution deals have broadened the availability of bears. Now you can begin the argument of what constitutes a craft beer.
__________________
Final 2014 Home Attendance Record 5-11.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 09-20-2013, 09:57 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPditka View Post
See below link from Draft Magazine, Im really holding out hope that Lagunitas will have a serious mark on the Cell next year. Their new brewery is appx 5 miles from the Cell. The execuse of they cant produce enough beer to support will not be valid.

https://draftmag.com/features/beertown-u-s-a-chicago-2/
If they serve Supmin' Sumpin', I might be able to endure a Sox game, because I won't know what's going on.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 09-20-2013, 09:58 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senerch23 View Post
The UC has done a much better job of integrating craft beers into the concessions there over the last few years. They may not have as many options as the Cell in regards to variety but the availability is much greater as there aren't only 2 stands selling craft beer at the UC.
They at least have Green Line and Goose IPA. At worst, better than Wrigley and Allstate.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 09-20-2013, 10:07 AM
Senerch23 Senerch23 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bridgeport
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
Maybe downstairs or something? In the upper deck I don't see anything more than bud, labatts, Heineken, and maybe a stray shock top or sam adams.
The 4 corner bars on the 300 level have had a few Goose Islands brands for at least 2 seasons now. There is another craft brewer that they have a few selections for as well but I can't remember who it is. There are also 2 free standing Goose Island carts that they added late last year on the 300 level.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 09-20-2013, 10:08 AM
Senerch23 Senerch23 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bridgeport
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
Going to the Hawks pre-season games I noticed that the 300 level now has a couple of stand alone Goose Island carts on the concourse. I think Budweiser's distribution deals have broadened the availability of bears. Now you can begin the argument of what constitutes a craft beer.
They added those late last year, hit up the one outside 327-328 quite a bit during the playoff run.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 09-20-2013, 10:15 AM
shes shes is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by delben91 View Post
Comparing to SD is indeed not apples to apples. There are 60+ microbreweries in San Diego county, I believe 30+ within the city limits (but don't quote me on that). It truly is craft beer heaven out here.
While that's true, the Chicago area has exploded very quickly into a craft beer haven of its own in recent years. In the city or within spitting distance, we've got Revolution, Half Acre, Two Brothers, Goose Island, Solemn Oath, 3 Floyds, Wild Onion, Pipewerks, Piece, Haymarket, Metropolitan, Spiteful, Dryhop + whoever else I'm forgetting + all the new microbreweries that are scheduled to open in the next year or two.

For a city that loves beer so much, we've finally caught up a bit. It may be unrealistic to hope for the Cell to be like Safeco or ATT or Petco, but it should be easier to get good beer at a Sox game. And a "Craft Beer Night" has so much more potential than what the Sox are doing. Kind of a wasted opportunity to highlight how far the city has come w/ regard to craft beer at a venue where it's generally not seen.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 09-20-2013, 10:32 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,176
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
While that's true, the Chicago area has exploded very quickly into a craft beer haven of its own in recent years. In the city or within spitting distance, we've got Revolution, Half Acre, Two Brothers, Goose Island, Solemn Oath, 3 Floyds, Wild Onion, Pipewerks, Piece, Haymarket, Metropolitan, Spiteful, Dryhop + whoever else I'm forgetting + all the new microbreweries that are scheduled to open in the next year or two.
Most definitely but you're still asking a very tall order for some of these smaller outfits to produce enough to meet their demands and then add on 81 games at Sox Park. There was a good article in the Trib about the craft beers available at the Cell and Wrigley and some of the challenges of getting more quality at the parks and the overall message seemed to be that, especially in regards to the Sox who have a modern ballpark and are more capable of adding more options in the park, the teams are interested in adding more craft beers, but the breweries are hesitant to commit to that kind of production.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ia-beer-menu/2

Chicago has a lot of very good breweries making some excellent beers, but it seems like from an operational perspective, they're still behind places like San Diego and Portland..

Last edited by doublem23; 09-20-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.