White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 08:28 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
When he is hitting it right (a good chunk of this season, his rookie year) he sprays line shots all over the field. He's on base scoring, getting guys from 1st to third. That can help carry a team. He can't carry a team in the same way a Carlos Quentin could.
Is that going to magically come at some point in the future? Because he sure hasn't showed that since his rookie year.

Earlier this year, he got off to a fast start, but was also mostly hitting singles. It seems his performance since is regression to the mean.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:03 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLL1855 View Post
If you have a better solution (and I don't mean a generic reply of "Find someone better"), lets hear it. Give us a name. Who's the answer?
I think that is the point of this thread. A lot of people have him as a keeper but Beckham pretty much sucks. The fact that there is nobody better available at this point and he is one of your better players shows how much work this organization has to do to contend again.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:40 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
When he is hitting it right (a good chunk of this season, his rookie year) he sprays line shots all over the field. He's on base scoring, getting guys from 1st to third. That can help carry a team. He can't carry a team in the same way a Carlos Quentin could.
You can say that about literally 99% of utility infielders. When they're hot, they can help carry the offense. Well no kidding. The problem is that Beckham's hot streaks come seasons apart.

He's done nothing outside of his rookie season to prove he's an everyday player.

I wouldn't mind giving Semien 600 PAs next season to see what he can do. If a good chunk of those come at Beckham's expense, so be it.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Beckham has been hit pretty hard by injuries this year- I'm willing to give him one more spring training/opening of the season as the starting 2nd baseman- while we deal with much bigger issues like 3rd base, CF/lead off, and even 1st base (assuming PK retires and (hopefully) so does Dunn).
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 09-19-2013, 12:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Beckham has been hit pretty hard by injuries this year- I'm willing to give him one more spring training/opening of the season as the starting 2nd baseman- while we deal with much bigger issues like 3rd base, CF/lead off, and even 1st base (assuming PK retires and (hopefully) so does Dunn).
I agree. I don't really think the question is can he play at a rather decent level. He obviously can when healthy, but between the wrist that zapped power and quad which has clearly been bothering him for over a month, he has been beat up. Again.

You can make a case that perhaps he is incapable of staying healthy or the chances are very small. There are bigger issues to address before Gordon Beckham.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
In an ideal lineup, Beckham is hitting 9th and providing adequate defense, like a Mark Ellis type.
Good comparison there. Beckham may never be the Michael Young doubles machine that we all hoped he would be, but he can certainly fill that Mark Ellis role. As others have posted, there are larger black holes in this lineup that need to be filled other than 2B. It starts with catcher, 1B, and LF.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 09-19-2013, 01:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Hit hard by injuries this year? He's been bad for 4 years.

I'd rather roll the dice with Semien or Garcia, but I'm fine with Beckham being a stop gap. It's pretty clear he's a utility player at this point. 2500+ PA's with a .248 career average, vastly overrated glove, doesn't walk and doesn't steal bases. He does have a hell of a PR team though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 09-19-2013, 02:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Hit hard by injuries this year? He's been bad for 4 years.

I'd rather roll the dice with Semien or Garcia, but I'm fine with Beckham being a stop gap. It's pretty clear he's a utility player at this point. 2500+ PA's with a .248 career average, vastly overrated glove, doesn't walk and doesn't steal bases. He does have a hell of a PR team though.
Garcia had a lower OPS at AAA than Beckham this year- only 22 - so a nice prospect- but I don't see where that makes sense- I think he needs another full year at AAA or a year in MLB as a utility guy before I'd make that move.

Semian - maybe- but I still think we have bigger problems- not ideal- but he's probably our best 3rd baseman on the team right now.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Garcia had a lower OPS at AAA than Beckham this year- only 22 - so a nice prospect- but I don't see where that makes sense- I think he needs another full year at AAA or a year in MLB as a utility guy before I'd make that move.

Semian - maybe- but I still think we have bigger problems- not ideal- but he's probably our best 3rd baseman on the team right now.
Garcia has 3+ tools and a much higher upside. If we're going to have 2 players that can't hit, I'll take the better defender that can steal bases.

Also, Keppinger > Beckham
Old 09-19-2013, 03:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Garcia has 3+ tools and a much higher upside. If we're going to have 2 players that can't hit, I'll take the better defender that can steal bases.

Also, Keppinger > Beckham
You made a vaild point until the last sentence. Keppinger isn't better than anyone.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Keppinger isn't better than anyone.
Uh...Keppinger > Andy Gonzalez!
Old 09-19-2013, 04:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
You made a vaild point until the last sentence. Keppinger isn't better than anyone.
I meant Gillaspie.

I don't think Keppinger's own Mom would say he's better than anybody.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Gillaspie is not our biggest problem, but I think he's better suited as a backup 1B/3B. As for Beckham, I'm okay with having him in a utility role next year. He can play every position better than Keppinger can. We don't know if his wrist will bother him for the rest of his career, but that remains to be seen. Realistically, Garcia will be a super-sub, but will likely see the field 3/4 times a week, so the Sox will probably have to keep more than one utility infielder.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

If Beckham is considered any part of the future, the organization has bigger problems than Beckham.

Hawk's greatest embarrassment is his pumping up of Beckham. It reached a ridiculous degree a couple weeks ago when somebody delivered an important RBI hit and Hawk credited Beckham's previous at-bat for the big hit rather than the player who recorded the big hit.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Beckham is better than Gillaspie in the sense that his defense is better and his bat is fine enough to be an 8-9 hitter.

Gillaspie being as prominent on this team as he was this season is one of the many indicators of how bad this team was.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."