White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 03:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
Well, to be a bit more clear, Dye hit .173/.293/.297 after the all star break in 2009 with 7 homers and 26 RBI in 60 games
Dunn 2013 2nd Half .232. .327 .381 .709
8 hr 23 rbi in 55 games
Old 09-20-2013, 12:46 PM
WSI Regular

Interesting slide show ranking the top 10 designated hitters and Bleacher Report (B/R) ranked Dunn #5. Looking back with 20-20 hindsight, the Sox signed Dunn in early December 2010. The Blue Jays were lucky enough to sign Edwin Encarnacion, who is the #1 B/R D-H, as a free agent after clearing waivers from Oakland. in mid December 2010. He greatly improved to a near-40 home run player when they switched him to DH from 3B/1B. They paid him low, but recently gave him an extension around 66% of Dunn's annual. Jays got lucky too with the Sox taking Rios' salary off their books. Hopefully the Sox will do better with their roster in the future, not be too careless, as they rebuld.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...gnated-hitters
Old 09-20-2013, 02:41 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Link

Beckham, Morel, Pierre, Teahen, Vizquel, and Peavy were what was wrong with that team in addition to Dunn, regardless whether Dunn was easily the worst player.

It's not like they missed the playoffs by a few games. Come on, now.
Don't forget Rios!
AL: Jim Landis! I know that, Jim Landis!
Old 09-20-2013, 04:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
Elaborate.
The Sox blew the division because the offense fell flat. No one died a more spectacular death than Dunn.

From Aug 1 to the end of the season Dunn went .186/.295/.389. Worse, the Sox blew the division with a stretch for Sep 19 to Sep 30 in which the Sox went 2-10, primarily due to scoring a little more than 2 runs a game. Dunn went 5 for 43. He did manage a 2 HR 4RBI game that the Sox won, but in the other eleven games, he drove in zero runs.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:18 AM
WSI High Priest

Anyone else getting the feeling that Dunn WILL retire?

All of his comments seem more "defeatist" then someone who has the drive and motivation to prove himself-

Ventura quoted in press as saying "he's tired"- if that's true- that's pathetic- he's a DH that was sat alot in May/June with injuries-

MLB Parks Visited: 24
MiLB Parks Visited: 11
Old 09-24-2013, 09:00 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post

All of his comments seem more "defeatist" then someone who has the drive and motivation to prove himself-

Ventura quoted in press as saying "he's tired"- if that's true- that's pathetic- he's a DH that was sat alot in May/June with injuries-

He's not retiring, he was quoted about working things out in Spring Training next year in the paper today.

Go Sox!!!
Old 09-24-2013, 09:04 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:

Mentally tired probably. That has nothing to do with how strong you are physically. A season like this has to wear on a player, especially one in Dunn's shoes who has struggled to live up to expectations, was the only guy on the team hitting during the heart of the season, is nearing the end of his prime years and still hasn't won a title. I imagine he's staring the end of his playing days right in the face and doesn't like how it's ending. That can lead to a lot of stress and anxiety.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 09-24-2013, 12:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Mentally tired probably. That has nothing to do with how strong you are physically. A season like this has to wear on a player, especially one in Dunn's shoes who has struggled to live up to expectations, was the only guy on the team hitting during the heart of the season, is nearing the end of his prime years and still hasn't won a title. I imagine he's staring the end of his playing days right in the face and doesn't like how it's ending. That can lead to a lot of stress and anxiety.
Or it could be that his lack of offseason conditioning has caught up to him this year just like it did last season. Both years he completely ran out of gas after a 2 month hot streak in June/July that brought his numbers up to respectable levels. At least he is consistent, I guess.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immigrant View Post
Or it could be that his lack of offseason conditioning has caught up to him this year just like it did last season. Both years he completely ran out of gas after a 2 month hot streak in June/July that brought his numbers up to respectable levels. At least he is consistent, I guess.
+1

The next time anyone hears about Dunn's "rigorous offseason regimen"- will be the first.

You'd think after 2-3 years of not earning your salary and letting down your teammates- you'd dig deeper to get into the best shape possible.

Not Adam- that's not his style.

After all of his quotes about not being sure if he wants to come back, and how he doesn't work out in the offseason, etc.- I just think he is not a winner/champion- he's a one dimensional softball player without any real drive for excellence.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:10 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
+1

The next time anyone hears about Dunn's "rigorous offseason regimen"- will be the first.

You'd think after 2-3 years of not earning your salary and letting down your teammates- you'd dig deeper to get into the best shape possible.

Not Adam- that's not his style.

After all of his quotes about not being sure if he wants to come back, and how he doesn't work out in the offseason, etc.- I just think he is not a winner/champion- he's a one dimensional softball player without any real drive for excellence.

In other words he doesn't have TWTW. Perfect illustration of how people actually do use this "stat" when debating the value of a player.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Criticizing a player for a lousy or nonexistent off season workout regimen is not an indictment on the saber stat people. TomBradley72 is totally correct in his assessment of Dunn IMO. If anything Dunn's performance with the Sox gives credence to saber. Take a look at his OWAR and DWAR with the Sox. He should have been busting his tail in the off season. Some people are winners in business, sports and life in general. Adam Dunn isn't one of them.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:06 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post

I have 56 million reasons not to feel sorry for him...!!!
Old 09-24-2013, 06:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestani View Post

You beat me to it. To play a game that I used to pay to play and would again if I wasnt a broken down old man. Then to have no financial worries for your offspring's offsprings offsprings offsprings, my heart bleeds for the poor guy.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Is he both the best and worst position player on the team?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestani View Post
I did not suggest you should, merely pointing out that there are different reasons a person can feel tired. I imagine most of the veterans on this team are pretty burned out and only the kids trying to earn regular PT in the majors are fired up to continue playing at the moment.