White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 01:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
My god, this organization is stupid.
Well, this is the organization that considered Adam Dunn to be a big time free agent signing.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:52 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
Wow. When I heard about this I thought, "Damn, if I can get something like a Rev IPA or Half Acre Daisy Cutter at the Cell, I might make the trek out there to do it." It certainly can get tiring drinking swill when watching a baseball game.

Imagine my disappointment.

Seriously, what were they thinking?
I like both the Barfly IPA and the Mad Hatter, at least I like them as much as I can like anything from a plastic cup.
AL: Jim Landis! I know that, Jim Landis!
Old 09-17-2013, 06:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
It would be a hell of a lot more exciting and entertaining than any other game played by this team.

I'll say it again, bring on nickel beer night and for added kicks bring in Steve Dahl to blow up a bunch of MP3 players with Justin Bieber music on them.
I know my heart swells with pride to be a White Sox fan whenever disco demolition night comes up out of the blue by someone who sees me wearing a White Sox cap in A's country. And the last time a drunken father and son ran out onto the field to assault a coach it was such a feel-good story.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I know my heart swells with pride to be a White Sox fan whenever disco demolition night comes up out of the blue by someone who sees me wearing a White Sox cap in A's country. And the last time a drunken father and son ran out onto the field to assault a coach it was such a feel-good story.
Disco Demolition was a proud moment. Just think of it, our fandom had a part in driving the final nail on the coffin of disco and helped kill what will go down as one of the worst genres in music history.

There is a reason the pregame video the Sox used to use with the "Pirates" theme had the clip of the giant box of records being blown up by the pyrotechnics. If it was such a shameful moment, the team wouldn't draw attention to it.

"We drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink, because it's what men do." - Roger Sterling
Old 09-17-2013, 07:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
Disco Demolition was a proud moment. Just think of it, our fandom had a part in driving the final nail on the coffin of disco and helped kill what will go down as one of the worst genres in music history.

There is a reason the pregame video the Sox used to use with the "Pirates" theme had the clip of the giant box of records being blown up by the pyrotechnics. If it was such a shameful moment, the team wouldn't draw attention to it.
Certainly it was more sociologically important that Veeck's crazy comb night (I think my crazy comb was in the glove compartment of my 1970 Maverick when I traded it in) or farm night where White Sox minor leaguers played a pregame exhibition, where I first saw Mike Squires playing first, and the giveaway was a sapling for everybody coming through the gate.

I don't know if the team would draw attention to disco demolition, though, if it had happened under the watch of the current ownership.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:35 PM
WSI High Priest

How about Independent Films Night with a pre-game showing of Iron Man 3?

Old 09-18-2013, 04:25 PM
WSI Regular

So greedy multinationals SABMiller and Molson/Coors get yet another team to let them peddle their fake "craft" beers. Happened at Yankee Stadium, and the fans lambasted it. I thought that would be the end of that farce. Apparently not.

There's a few beer blogs that were also mentioning it, with equally negative reactions:

http://beerandwhiskeybros.com/2013/0...y-millercoors/
Old 09-19-2013, 09:52 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Wow. When I heard about this I thought, "Damn, if I can get something like a Rev IPA or Half Acre Daisy Cutter at the Cell, I might make the trek out there to do it." It certainly can get tiring drinking swill when watching a baseball game.

Imagine my disappointment.

Seriously, what were they thinking?
They have Daisy Cutter available on a regular basis. 16oz pint for the same price as a Miller Light. $7.75

Most craft brewers cannot produce the amount beer it would take to have it available at the cell. Take for instance, 3 Floyds. They can barely stock local shelves with the demand and such low production. Couple that with a HUGE cut of money coming from Miller Coors to be the official beer of the Sox.

They have a decent selection for a corporate baseball stadium, IMO.

Also, once a brewery starts to manufacture enough beer to fill demand most hard core folks wouldn't consider them craft anyways.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:55 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideMike View Post
So greedy multinationals SABMiller and Molson/Coors get yet another team to let them peddle their fake "craft" beers. Happened at Yankee Stadium, and the fans lambasted it. I thought that would be the end of that farce. Apparently not.

There's a few beer blogs that were also mentioning it, with equally negative reactions:

http://beerandwhiskeybros.com/2013/0...y-millercoors/
But they also point out what I just did at the end-

The good news is that U.S. Cellular Park has a “Midwest Brews” kiosk that serves a decent selection of honest-to-goodness craft beers, ranging from New Holland Mad Hatter IPA, to Bells Oberon, to Two Brothers Brewing Ebel’s Weiss, just to name a few.

If you want to drink a decent beer, you can at the Cell.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:34 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Sox_Summer View Post
They have Daisy Cutter available on a regular basis. 16oz pint for the same price as a Miller Light. $7.75

Whoa! When did that happen? Color me excited.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:51 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Sox_Summer View Post

Most craft brewers cannot produce the amount beer it would take to have it available at the cell. Take for instance, 3 Floyds. They can barely stock local shelves with the demand and such low production. Couple that with a HUGE cut of money coming from Miller Coors to be the official beer of the Sox.

They have a decent selection for a corporate baseball stadium, IMO.

Also, once a brewery starts to manufacture enough beer to fill demand most hard core folks wouldn't consider them craft anyways.
This is precisely correct and a major reason why you don't see rare finds at major venues like the Cell. Coupled, of course, with popularity, even though craft brewing has exploded recently, it still only accounts for 4% of the US beer market share. It's easy to scoff at swill like Bud Light and Miller Lite, but that's still where the cash is.

So I don't knock the Sox for not having a beer lineup that rivals some of the better beer bars around town. That's just the way it is. Frankly, the Cell's beer selection is infinitely better than our friends up North, where their "Premium Beer Selection" I'm pretty sure was just 312 (), Tecate (), and Heineken ().

But I do see why people were so bitterly disappointed in this "Craft Beer Fest" they're trying to throw. I was at a very good craft beer fest earlier this summer in Bridgeport, Mash Tun, at the Bridgeport Arts Fest. Great beer fest, outstanding lineup of breweries, we had a great time and I totally feel my $40 entrance fee was paid off and then some. If the Sox wanted to put on a fest like that, people would have loved it. But when you have Craft Beer Night with your friends from Leine's, Blue Moon, and Apple Cider Garbage, well, the response is expected. I get if you can't do it because the Lord and Masters and MillerCoors won't allow it, well maybe it's just better not to do it at all.

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 09-19-2013, 11:38 AM
WSI Personality

The midwest brews kiosk if good, even though the line there is generally an inning+ long due to demand. Daisy Cutter and Oberon were made for baseball.

As far as demand, I agree it would be tough/impossible to supply the Sox with Zombie Dust everynight. However, promoting a night about Craft beer with MillerCoors is rediculous. It would have been great to do a tap take over just for the night and invite a bunch of Chicagoland breweries to operate the different concession stands with their offering, and have the beer man sell the Miller offerings. I would be great exposure for Half Acre, Goose Island, Revolution, Solemn Oath, 2 Brothers, 3 Floyds, Pipeworks, Begyle, Dryhop, etc....

Not to mention Im sure you could do a contract brew with a brewery to be on tap year round at the Cell...maybe Pale Hose Ale, or something of that sort. Possibly use "Craft beer night" as a launch for that (wishful thinking for next year)

For Reference: Here is PETCO Park's full beer list this season. It's good to be a Padres fan: CRAFT DRAFT: Ballast Point Sculpin, Ballast Point Pale Ale, Ballast Point Big Eye, Ballast Point Wahoo Wheat, Ballast Point Black Marlin, Karl Strauss Red Trolley, Karl Strauss, Kona Longboard, Kona Fire Rock, Widmer Rotator IPA, Widmer Hefeweizen, Coronado Golden, Stone Pale Ale, Lost Abbey Devotion, and Goose Island. PREMIUM DRAFT: Blue Moon, Leinenkugel's Summer, Third Shift, Batch 19, Stella, Shock Top, Pacifico, Negra Modelo, Modelo Especial, and Victoria. DOMESTIC DRAFT: Coors Light, Bud Light and Budweiser. BOTTLES & CANS: Coronado Golden, Coronado Mermaid, Coronado Orange, Coronado Island IPA, Karl Strauss Amber, Karl Strauss Red, Karl Strauss IPA, Karl Strauss Pale, Ballast Point Longfin Lager, Ballast Point Calico, Ballast Point Pale Ale, Ballast Point Big Eye, Stone Pale Ale, Stone Levitation Ale, Stone IPA, Mission Blonde, Mission Amber Ale, Mission Hefeweizen, Mission IPA, Green Flash Hop Head Red, Green Flash West Coast IPA, Green Flash Double Stout, Manzanita Riverwalk, Manzanita Rustic Horizon, Alesmith "X," Alesmith Anvil Ale, Black Market Bavarian Style Hefeweizen, Black Market Brown Ale, Lightning Elemental Pilsner, Lightning Thunderweizen Ale, Lightning Fair Weather Pale Ale, Lightning Amber Ale, and Port Brewing Wipeout IPA.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:23 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:

Whoa! When did that happen? Color me excited.
A few months ago. They have run out a few times due to production.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

http://www.thedailymeal.com/top-10-b...beer-slideshow
Old 09-19-2013, 01:43 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
This is precisely correct and a major reason why you don't see rare finds at major venues like the Cell. Coupled, of course, with popularity, even though craft brewing has exploded recently, it still only accounts for 4% of the US beer market share. It's easy to scoff at swill like Bud Light and Miller Lite, but that's still where the cash is.

So I don't knock the Sox for not having a beer lineup that rivals some of the better beer bars around town. That's just the way it is. Frankly, the Cell's beer selection is infinitely better than our friends up North, where their "Premium Beer Selection" I'm pretty sure was just 312 (), Tecate (), and Heineken ().

But I do see why people were so bitterly disappointed in this "Craft Beer Fest" they're trying to throw. I was at a very good craft beer fest earlier this summer in Bridgeport, Mash Tun, at the Bridgeport Arts Fest. Great beer fest, outstanding lineup of breweries, we had a great time and I totally feel my $40 entrance fee was paid off and then some. If the Sox wanted to put on a fest like that, people would have loved it. But when you have Craft Beer Night with your friends from Leine's, Blue Moon, and Apple Cider Garbage, well, the response is expected. I get if you can't do it because the Lord and Masters and MillerCoors won't allow it, well maybe it's just better not to do it at all.
It's up to 6% market share in 2013.

Corporate places, that are sponsored by a huge brewer, will never have a good Craft Beer night. Miller Coors is profiting from a buzz word "craft" and people's ignorance on who produces what beers.

Bridgeport has a few places to get a good selection of craft beers. Mitchell's Tap had (and will have again) Gumball Head on draft. I know they get Zombie Dust there now, in the bottle. Maria's has a bunch of beers too.

If you want to know more about the industry watch "Beer Wars" streaming on Netflix. While it is a little dated now, it shows how hard it is for the little guy to get into the game.