White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 04:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procol Harum View Post
Perhaps for 2014 home games they could replace the Sox history pre-game video with a series of Ventura press conference snippets, thereby spreading boredom to the visitors' dugout as well as our own, and thus evening things out a bit.
Maybe they need to show the dynamic interaction between Robin and Harold Baines in between innings.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:42 AM
WSI Personality

Rick Hahn was on White Sox Weekly yesterday and he stated quite clearly that he can see Ventura coming back next year as the manager. With 2 weeks to go in the 2013 season and the White Sox closing in on 100 losses, I'm hoping Hahn changes his mind about Ventura. This 2013 White Sox team is a dead team. This team is about as exciting as watching paint dry. Major changes have to be made this off season to this team. Hopefully a new manager will be one of the changes.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:09 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Rick Hahn was on White Sox Weekly yesterday and he stated quite clearly that he can see Ventura coming back next year as the manager. With 2 weeks to go in the 2013 season and the White Sox closing in on 100 losses, I'm hoping Hahn changes his mind about Ventura. This 2013 White Sox team is a dead team. This team is about as exciting as watching paint dry. Major changes have to be made this off season to this team. Hopefully a new manager will be one of the changes.
How can they possibly bring him back. That's just not trying to win. From a team that was expected to be a fringe-contender to 60-65 wins?
Old 09-15-2013, 11:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
It's out of Hahn's hands, so what is he supposed to say? Reinsdorf isn't going to pay for two managers when the team is probably going to be bad next year. So they'll let him play out his contract, Robin will decide not to come back, and they'll have a new manager in 2015--who will probably be Jim Thome, who is now in the Reinsdorf inner circle.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have a token firing of Jeff Manto, and Thome is the hitting coach next year before taking over for Robin in 2015.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:20 PM
WSI High Priest

The team is mailing it in right now, I don't know if we can blame Ventura but they should have never hired him in the first place. I'm just so disgusted with the whole operation right now. I watched last nights game and what a disgrace, I'd love to see Hawk calling some of these losers out ala Harry Caray.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1970 View Post
it's out of hahn's hands, so what is he supposed to say? Reinsdorf isn't going to pay for two managers when the team is probably going to be bad next year. so they'll let him play out his contract, robin will decide not to come back, and they'll have a new manager in 2015--who will probably be jim thome, who is now in the reinsdorf inner circle.

i wouldn't be surprised if they have a token firing of jeff manto, and thome is the hitting coach next year before taking over for robin in 2015.

b-i-n-g-o!
Old 09-16-2013, 05:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Why beat around the bush? Mailing it in = bad managing.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Dennis Eckersley on the White Sox during tonight's Baltimore-Boston broadcast:

"It's like they're not even trying or something."
Old 09-18-2013, 02:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I think the worst fears are now being realized when Ventura was hired something like this would happen. Love the player, the manager not so much.

If Hahn brings him back it could kill Robins legacy here.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1970 View Post
It's out of Hahn's hands, so what is he supposed to say? Reinsdorf isn't going to pay for two managers when the team is probably going to be bad next year. So they'll let him play out his contract, Robin will decide not to come back, and they'll have a new manager in 2015--who will probably be Jim Thome, who is now in the Reinsdorf inner circle.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have a token firing of Jeff Manto, and Thome is the hitting coach next year before taking over for Robin in 2015.
odds are Thome is the hitting coach I imagine
Old 09-18-2013, 02:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
I don't understand how you think he came into this season without experience. He was a manager in 2012. His team won 85 games, even though they had lost a top pitcher (Buehrle) and a top offensive player (Quentin) they had a better record than they had the year before, when they were managed by an experienced manager with a WS ring.

Robin could manage this team for 20 seasons and some would still say he's inexperienced.
Ozzie did have experience 3rd base coach for the Braves and won a ring as a 3rd bse coach for the Marlins. Cox and Mckeon 2 great ones to learn under. What does Ventura have? Some high school? He should of been made Batting Coach and been groomed
Old 09-18-2013, 05:41 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
odds are Thome is the hitting coach I imagine
"Okay guys, I don't care what the defense gives you, swing for the fences!"
Old 09-18-2013, 05:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
I think the worst fears are now being realized when Ventura was hired something like this would happen. Love the player, the manager not so much.

If Hahn brings him back it could kill Robins legacy here.
General managers usually like to hire their own managers. Hahn started to put his stamp on the Sox with the recent deadline deals and that will surely continue in the offseason with personnel moves, for sure. But, who knows, there may be a new manager or changes in the coaching staff as well.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:49 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
General managers usually like to hire their own managers. Hahn started to put his stamp on the Sox with the recent deadline deals and that will surely continue in the offseason with personnel moves, for sure. But, who knows, there may be a new manager or changes in the coaching staff as well.
Hahn wasn't an outside the organization hire, though, he was Assistant GM when Ventura was hired as manager and I'm sure the transition plan to kick KW upstairs and promote Hahn to GM was already in place by then so I'm sure he had input into that hire as he would likely be working closely with him no matter which position he was holding.

Not that I think the Sox are necessarily bad or good due to guys like Ventura or Dunn or whatever, but people need to come to terms with the fact they will likely be around for next season. This is the downside to rebuilding, you gotta be bad.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 09-18-2013, 07:10 AM
WSI High Priest

I guess it comes down to this: do people really have evidence to back up the idea that Ventura has "lost the clubhouse" or are people just assuming that because he isn't magically making these terrible players better?

My view is that a manager doesn't have that much impact on a team's performance. I don't blame Ventura for failing to win with a horrible team, and I see no reason to change managers. It's not like next year's team will be much better, so why waste money on a better manager?
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides