White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 03:01 PM
WSI Personality

Default Random World Series fact I learned today

I was looking up past World Series winners on Wikipedia and read that a team from the original 16 clubs (pre 1960 expansion) has appeared in every World Series. In other words, there has never been a World Series with 2 post-1960 expansion teams playing each other. I just found that interesting and wanted to share.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ries_champions
Old 09-13-2013, 04:12 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

The Yankees Cardinals are heavily responsible for this.

All hail The Rick
Old 09-13-2013, 04:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
The Yankees Cardinals are heavily responsible for this.
As well as the White Sox. If the White Sox hadn't beaten the Angels in the 2005 ALCS, there would have been a World Series between two 1960s expansion teams because the Cardinals didn't beat the Astros.

The Yankees, of course, beat the Mariners in 2001 to prevent a World Series between two later expansion teams. Beyond those two, I would have to look things up.

Expansion teams started appearing in the World Series in 1969, and now there are 14 expansion franchises to go along with the 16 pre-1960 franchises. It's odd that expansion franchises haven't met in a World Series.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

And the Sox are tied for dead last amongst the charter teams in WS appearances along with Cleveland.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:48 PM
WSI Personality

In 1980, the Royals beat the Yankees in the ALCS in 3-0 in a best of five.

The Astros had a two games to one lead over the Phillies in the NLCS and lost the last two games of the series at home in extra innings, allowing the Phillies to keep this streak alive.

Four of the five games of the 1980 NLCS went extra innings. One hell of a series.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
And the Sox are tied for dead last amongst the charter teams in WS appearances along with Cleveland.
Yes, but they are tied with the Orioles/Browns (the franchise of Tito Landrum and double the World Series appearance of the White Sox) for World Series titles. They also are tied with the Senators/Twins for World Series titles. The Tigers only have four and the Indians only have two.

It didn't help the White Sox that they had of their best teams during the second golden age of the Yankees.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

Won't happen this year either, unless the Nationals pull off a pretty big miracle and catch one of the three NL Central contenders, since all 5 probable NL playoff teams (Braves, Cardinals, Pirates, Reds, Dodgers) are in the "Original 16."

Obligatory 2014 attendance record: 1-1

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

JACK....IS....BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2013, 09:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Yes, but they are tied with the Orioles/Browns (the franchise of Tito Landrum and double the World Series appearance of the White Sox) for World Series titles. They also are tied with the Senators/Twins for World Series titles. The Tigers only have four and the Indians only have two.

It didn't help the White Sox that they had of their best teams during the second golden age of the Yankees.
I saw a stat the other day that from 1952-1967 the White Sox had a better winning percentage than the Dodgers, Braves and Giants and had the second best winning percentage in all of baseball. The only problem was that the Yankees had the best.

Go Sox!!!
Old 09-13-2013, 09:53 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I saw a stat the other day that from 1952-1967 the White Sox had a better winning percentage than the Dodgers, Braves and Giants and had the second best winning percentage in all of baseball. The only problem was that the Yankees had the best.
I'm pretty sure the 1952 to 1967 Whitesox have the 3rd longest winning seasons in baseball history. Behind the Yankees and Orioles.

I didn't know this about what the original poster put either. That is interesting.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:54 PM
WSI High Priest

1984 Kansas City got swept in the ALCS, thus avoiding the Padres in the World series.

Off the top of my head, I can name to ALCS with two expansion teams> Brewers- Angels in 1982 and Blue Jays-Royals 1985.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Yes sir, and I lived through it. Watched the movie Damn Yankees last night and it should have been about a White Sox fan selling his soul to the devil instead of a Senator fan. Maybe someone did that in 1959 but I don't remember any Joe Hardy on the team.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
I'm pretty sure the 1952 to 1967 Whitesox have the 3rd longest winning seasons in baseball history. Behind the Yankees and Orioles.

I didn't know this about what the original poster put either. That is interesting.
The streak actually started in 1951, and ended in 1967. Prior to that streak, the Sox hadn't been over .500 since 1943, and the Sox hadn't put more than 3 .500+ seasons together in a row since 1920.

The Orioles' streak was 18 straight seasons (1968-85). The Yankees have actually had two streaks longer than that: an incredible 39-season stretch (1926-64, where they played in 26 of the 39 World Series), and are currently on a 21-season streak (if they finish above .500 this season).
Old 09-14-2013, 02:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakath View Post
The streak actually started in 1951, and ended in 1967. Prior to that streak, the Sox hadn't been over .500 since 1943, and the Sox hadn't put more than 3 .500+ seasons together in a row since 1920.

The Orioles' streak was 18 straight seasons (1968-85). The Yankees have actually had two streaks longer than that: an incredible 39-season stretch (1926-64, where they played in 26 of the 39 World Series), and are currently on a 21-season streak (if they finish above .500 this season).
Yeah I was going to change that. I looked it up again yesterday. I forgot about the Yankees doing it twice though. You would think the 1990's/2000's Braves would have a longer streak, which tells how impressive that streak really is.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
Yeah I was going to change that. I looked it up again yesterday. I forgot about the Yankees doing it twice though. You would think the 1990's/2000's Braves would have a longer streak, which tells how impressive that streak really is.
It was close for the Braves, who were .500+ for 15 years straight (1991-2005).
Old 09-15-2013, 01:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

There was also a near-miss in 2011, when the Rangers reached the World Series, but the Brewers fell in six to the Cardinals in the NLCS.

"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all."- Former Orioles Manager Earl Weaver
Go Sox and Go Bearcats!