White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 12:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxman219 View Post
I was at this game. It was almost 70% Tigers fans, very disheartening seeing them leave the park happy and boastful. I hate this offense so much.
If it makes you feel better, just remember their city is such a POS that they have to come here to find jobs. The Tigers don't travel well, their fans just had to move here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 09-12-2013, 12:08 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Allen View Post
ERA doesn't mean as much for a reliever. He frequently allows inherited runners to score if he's not giving up his own runs. The last thing I would call him is a bright spot.
I wouldn't call him that either. He is just a mediocre reliever. The Sox should decline that $4 million option for 2014.

It wasn't so long ago some poster on here wanted to give Dunn a two-year contract extension. Thank goodness Rick Hahn doesn't visit WSI for advice. The Dunn we've seen for most of the last three years is back with a vengeance. Brutal.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 09-12-2013, 04:39 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
As has been often the case this year, Lindstrom in = game over. Another great offseason pickup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
He gave up one run and has an ERA+ of 151, he's one of the bright spots.

Quote:
ERA doesn't mean as much for a reliever. He frequently allows inherited runners to score if he's not giving up his own runs. The last thing I would call him is a bright spot.

This (quote #3).
Old 09-12-2013, 07:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Wake me up when September ends...
Old 09-12-2013, 07:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
It's going to be from the right side. He appears to have abandoned the switch hitting. He's a blur on the bases.
Tribune this morning said that L. Garcia had a blister on his hand that prevented him from batting left-handed last night. He hasn't abandoned switch-hitting.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
The biggest thing I took away from that game was L. Garcia and his defense. He made some plays that Beckham couldn't dream of making. Beckham being a "great" 2nd baseman is the biggest myth going on with the Sox right now.
I was very impressed with Garcia at 2nd last night. Great range and he catches and throws so very quickly. Amazing actually.

Quote:
As has been often the case this year, Lindstrom in = game over. Another great offseason pickup.
I've been riding Lindstrom for much of the season. He had a streak in the last month that seemed (by observation and not researching the stats) to do well.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 09-12-2013, 08:33 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I wouldn't call him that either. He is just a mediocre reliever. The Sox should decline that $4 million option for 2014.
Agree.
Sure glad Ventura's still trotting out our starters for 110+ pitches in these critical September games.

I would live with L Garcia at SS next year. Step 1 is to improve the defense, and then we can make offensive improvements where they are available. If we can't find a SS who can hit, and they're hard to find, live with him there for a season. The biggest problem will be to find a center fielder.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:45 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I would go Garcia at 2nd, Ramirez at SS and Beckham at 3rd. Beckham has a good arm, a great glove and no range. That line up really lacks power, but would be awesome defensively. I want to shore up the defense before I worry about the hitting. I think Ramirez and Beckham can still hit enough to be together on a good team.
That's an interesting idea. I do believe Gordon is good defender at 2nd, but with all the holes the Sox have, moving him to 3rd for next season and having L. Garcia at 2nd might not be a bad idea.

I'm not sold L. Garcia can hit over a whole season, but what other options do we really have? Sox can then go after a quality outfielder/catcher...among many other positions.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:45 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
Leaving Dunn in the 8th is a pretty good indicator that either he doesn't care, is terrible, or both.
I agree. I would much rather have had Beckham, De Aza, Herm Schneider or just about anyone else on the bench hit in that spot.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I would go Garcia at 2nd, Ramirez at SS and Beckham at 3rd. Beckham has a good arm, a great glove and no range. That line up really lacks power, but would be awesome defensively. I want to shore up the defense before I worry about the hitting. I think Ramirez and Beckham can still hit enough to be together on a good team.
Not bad but Ramirez needs to go. And L Garcia at 2nd is too big an offensive hole at that position. At SS it's okay, but not at 2B
Beckham played a good 3B when he played there early on.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:08 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Agree.
Sure glad Ventura's still trotting out our starters for 110+ pitches in these critical September games.

I would live with L Garcia at SS next year. Step 1 is to improve the defense, and then we can make offensive improvements where they are available. If we can't find a SS who can hit, and they're hard to find, live with him there for a season. The biggest problem will be to find a center fielder.
That, I don't really have a problem with. I don't want to see 120 or 125 pitches, but the Sox do need to build strength and stamina for Sale and Quintana. They fell apart in September last year. This year, you want them to see it through to the end. Even if it doesn't mean anything now, one day it hopefully will. If we want these guys to anchor our pitching staff in October sometime in the future, first they must learn to get through September. Make 30 starts. Get 200 innings. Still have enough for the playoffs when Hahn (hopefully) puts a good team behind them.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:05 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post

It wasn't so long ago some poster on here wanted to give Dunn a two-year contract extension. Thank goodness Rick Hahn doesn't visit WSI for advice. The Dunn we've seen for most of the last three years is back with a vengeance. Brutal.

Whoever said that has either, 1. Not followed the Sox for the past three years? 2. Doesn't know how overpriced he is? 3. Should be exiled out of WSI? 4. Or, all of the above...!!!
Old 09-12-2013, 03:01 PM
WSI Village Atheist

After Dunn's third strikeout last night, someone over in the 120s yelled out, "Retire!"

March 31 W
April 10 W
April 26 L
May 10 L
May 28 W
June 1 W
June 14 L
July 4 W
July 18 W

Next Game: August 30
Old 09-12-2013, 05:02 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

That would be a weak AAA infield offensively. Defensively, Alexei has been awful this season. Now maybe he improves next year but he is a year older.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
That's fair, he does have a high IRS%. I counter with 2 points:
-At least for Lindstrom (and I'm guessing for most) IRS% is pretty volatile, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it fall next season.
-If you're going to discount ERA to some extent you have to discount IRS% too, since it's so situation and defense dependent. It's possible to come in, throw 3 pitches, get 3 outs and have an IRS of 100%. Or K 3 in a row and have an IRS% of 100%. Like most it's a good stat, but not perfect.

At least compared to Veal and Troncoso he's a god damn all star.