White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 08:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I can't imagine that the Sox or Cubs are happy about the dates for the crosstown series this year. This is by far the earliest it has ever taken place. Both teams are going to be coming off last place seasons, the games take place mid week, the weather will likely be chilly, and kids are still in school. I think attendance for this series is going to fall lower still in 2014. These games should be played on a weekend in June or July like they used to.
I don't know....the overall crowd may be smaller, but would the bump in attendance over what they would ordinarily get on that day be any different?

If you are saying the Cubs would rather have it as a summer weekend series, wouldn't those be dates that the Cubs have a huge crowd regardless of who they host? Maybe they'd rather have the Sox on a early season week day because that's when they've been getting smaller crowds of late (20,000 at a game last week).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorsSox4367 View Post
Nice to see the Giants on the schedule for next year. As others have posted, Sox-Cubs so early in the year and not on a weekend?

Did ESPN not want the Chicago rivalry for Sunday night baseball? However, Houston at the Sox on July 20 sounds like a certain telecast.
I know i'll get flamed for saying this, but having the Cubs-Sox Series over with by May 8 next year is perfectly fine with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The games weren't on a weekend this year, either
Now that the Cubs-Sox series has gone to a 2+2 format, I wonder if weekday games for the series are here to stay. Baseball's scheduling format doesn't provide for a 2 game weekend series.....unless they were able to lump in the battle for the BP Cup as a single Thurs-Sunday 4 game series.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I don't know....the overall crowd may be smaller, but would the bump in attendance over what they would ordinarily get on that day be any different?

If you are saying the Cubs would rather have it as a summer weekend series, wouldn't those be dates that the Cubs have a huge crowd regardless of who they host? Maybe they'd rather have the Sox on a early season week day because that's when they've been getting smaller crowds of late (20,000 at a game last week).

I know i'll get flamed for saying this, but having the Cubs-Sox Series over with by May 8 next year is perfectly fine with me.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:25 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:

Now that the Cubs-Sox series has gone to a 2+2 format, I wonder if weekday games for the series are here to stay. Baseball's scheduling format doesn't provide for a 2 game weekend series.....unless they were able to lump in the battle for the BP Cup as a single Thurs-Sunday 4 game series.
No flame from me. If that series went away forever and never came back, it would not be missed. Stale and boring.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 09-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
May 8th? Are you crazy?????????????

February 8th is more desirable.

All hail The Rick
Old 09-11-2013, 02:49 PM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

Why never any Reds games? I miss the old Central v Central only interleague slate.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:51 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1970 View Post
That's not a White Sox event.
Yes I meant I wonder what matchup MLB will want for that game. Out of all the weekend opponents I think the Yankees seem most likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
I wish we would play a series with every team each year. I don't need to play our same division foes 20 times per year. Boring.
I agree. So sick of playing the Royals during the opening week of the season. Or at the end of the season. Same with the Tribe. I do always enjoy playing the Twins and Tigers but 20 games is overkill.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:23 PM
WSI Prelate

I'm happy to see the White Sox will be in San Francisco in August for a couple of games. Maybe I can avoid that awful Oakland experience with the abusive fans and a ballpark ambiance one step up from a playground littered with broken glass in the outfield. This year the fans around me were so abusive I considered writing to A's to tell them why I would never go to their ballpark again.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Location: Yes in Ranhco Sahuarita, AZ...(WAS near the home of White Sox spring training baseball)
Agree

Bummer no trip to Phoenix at Chase Field...last visit was 2012.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Agreed. I guess that's the price of playing the Flubs every year. They must be getting MIL and STL in 2015 since the Sox faced the NL East teams this year and the NL West teams next year.
I wouldn't assume that. There have been plenty of examples where teams (that weren't 'rivals') played year after year for no real reason (like, this is just off the top of my head but I know the Sox have played Pittsburgh a LOT), and not played teams you'd think they were due to play.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

At least until they change the format again, all the "natural rivalry" games are Monday-Thursday, 2 games in each park. Some of them are later in the season, though (like, next year Giants-A's is in July).
Old 09-11-2013, 09:54 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
I wouldn't assume that. There have been plenty of examples where teams (that weren't 'rivals') played year after year for no real reason (like, this is just off the top of my head but I know the Sox have played Pittsburgh a LOT), and not played teams you'd think they were due to play.
The unbalanced divisions caused some of that havoc, though, in the past, where there couldn't be a simple formula to make sure all teams played each other on a regular basis. Now that each league has 15 teams, I believe there is going to be a regular rotation of the other league's divisions for interleague. Kind of wish they could work it so you'd get each team at home every 3 years, but I guess this is the model the NFL uses and the league somehow makes it work...

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 09-11-2013, 10:54 PM
WSI Personality

There's 162 games in the season. The NBA can find a way to have a home and home for every team with a 81 game schedule. Why can't baseball find a way to have every team play each other each season?
Old 09-12-2013, 06:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
There's 162 games in the season. The NBA can find a way to have a home and home for every team with a 81 game schedule. Why can't baseball find a way to have every team play each other each season?
The NBA only has teams play each other one game at a time, and a lot more time for travel. If teams had to go to more cities, there would be a lot more travel, the union would never allow it.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:04 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
The NBA only has teams play each other one game at a time, and a lot more time for travel. If teams had to go to more cities, there would be a lot more travel, the union would never allow it.
The whole travel excuse sucks for any league in professional sports.

It's not like these guys are thrown in buses and trains like the old days.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:19 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The unbalanced divisions caused some of that havoc, though, in the past, where there couldn't be a simple formula to make sure all teams played each other on a regular basis. Now that each league has 15 teams, I believe there is going to be a regular rotation of the other league's divisions for interleague. Kind of wish they could work it so you'd get each team at home every 3 years, but I guess this is the model the NFL uses and the league somehow makes it work...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
The problem with MLB is that they have teams face their division rivals 18 times per team each year. That's overkill and it comes at the expense of seeing teams other than KC, Cleveland, Minn, and Detroit more often.