White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 09:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Nate Jones closed the game Monday night against the Tigers. Maybe this will be his future role with the White Sox. Perhaps we have seen the last of Addison Reed on the White Sox this year. If we can get a good every day player for Reed it makes sense to me to make that trade and have Jones as our closer in 2014.
Maybe Daniel Webb moves in to the Nate Jones role in that case? He certainly has an arm. Not sure about his control an stuff just yet.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:08 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
I agree with this completely, but I don't expect to see any real front office changes as long as JR is in charge. Too bad because there are so many things wrong with this organization.
I don't know about that. IMO, Hahn's hiring is a bit of a break as to how the Sox organization does business, especially if Kenny is staying hands off and letting Rick do his job.

Despite this season, I still want to give Hahn another year or two to see how he can turn the org around, especially considering he's going to be less and less tied down to Kenny's boat anchor contracts.

I'm also hoping that more payroll flexibility means that the Sox use the new draft rules much more to their benefit than in years past and invest more on player development than they did when carrying $110M+ payrolls at the big league level.

If the whole thing is still a failure 2 years down the road, then yes, clean out everyone.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:40 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
I don't know about that. IMO, Hahn's hiring is a bit of a break as to how the Sox organization does business, especially if Kenny is staying hands off and letting Rick do his job.

I asked the question a couple of weeks ago but no one seemed to know. What is Kenny's job ???? Living in New England, I see a lot of Red Sox games. Every series the Yankees are in town, the camera always finds Brian Cashman in a seat near the visitor dugout. Recently for the White Sox visit to Boston, Kenny Williams was in that seat. When I posted it somone responded that Hahn was back in Chicago working on trades. Yeah right...............
Old 09-11-2013, 04:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
I asked the question a couple of weeks ago but no one seemed to know. What is Kenny's job ???? Living in New England, I see a lot of Red Sox games. Every series the Yankees are in town, the camera always finds Brian Cashman in a seat near the visitor dugout. Recently for the White Sox visit to Boston, Kenny Williams was in that seat. When I posted it somone responded that Hahn was back in Chicago working on trades. Yeah right...............
Kenny's job appears to be telling any newspaper that will listen what a loyal husband he is in sticking with his wife as she battles cancer
Old 09-11-2013, 10:13 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Recently for the White Sox visit to Boston, Kenny Williams was in that seat. When I posted it somone responded that Hahn was back in Chicago working on trades. Yeah right...............
Is it really that hard to believe? Everyone knows Cashman is more or less a puppet for the Yankees, as well, and that the Brothers Steinbrenner basically do whatever the hell they feel like.

It wouldn't surprise me if KW was more of the "Scout" exec, remember, the Sox had the #1 farm system in baseball when he was the Director of Player Development. Hahn is considered to be more of the new-school, numbers guy. Not saying that that's what the division is, or if I agree or disagree with it, just my hunch as to how things would be going.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 09-11-2013, 10:46 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34 Inch Stick View Post
Kenny's job appears to be telling any newspaper that will listen what a loyal husband he is in sticking with his wife as she battles cancer
Classy. People can be pissed about KW's final years here but I wish they'd just get over it. It's quite petty to keep hating on a guy who constantly tried to put the Sox in contention. He made some real bad moves but some people act like he was intentionally sabotaging the team.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Hey, if it was up to me, Ventura would have already been fired. I'm just resigned to the fact that he won't be. Perhaps he will, under the guise of it being his decision. The organization has a bad recent record of keeping managers too long. Manuel and Guillen were both kept a year too long.
You fire a coach when you have good players that you can't get enough wins out of. What Robin was given was a pretty bad roster concerning talent, contracts, and unfortunate luck with injuries. People are saying we should only keep a handful of players. Does that sound like we had a lot of talent?

My guess is that we'll see 2014 as an audition for different positions: 1B, 3B, OF, C, and RP. I keep Phegley as a backup C because we can't replace everything and maybe he could add value in that role, but we need to find our next starting catcher.

I'm hoping we find a good FA 3B or C for the future this year and the grab the opposite position for 2015 once Dunn is gone. At that point, we should also have a better view on what OF talent can start for us in the future.

As far as Beckham, I'm fine with him right now. We have far too many upgrades to make and questions to answer to worry about a guy whose hitting .274 and not a defensive liability at his position.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
You fire a coach when you have good players that you can't get enough wins out of. What Robin was given was a pretty bad roster concerning talent, contracts, and unfortunate luck with injuries. People are saying we should only keep a handful of players. Does that sound like we had a lot of talent?

My guess is that we'll see 2014 as an audition for different positions: 1B, 3B, OF, C, and RP. I keep Phegley as a backup C because we can't replace everything and maybe he could add value in that role, but we need to find our next starting catcher.

I'm hoping we find a good FA 3B or C for the future this year and the grab the opposite position for 2015 once Dunn is gone. At that point, we should also have a better view on what OF talent can start for us in the future.

As far as Beckham, I'm fine with him right now. We have far too many upgrades to make and questions to answer to worry about a guy whose hitting .274 and not a defensive liability at his position.
You think Ventura deserves to return because the team was bad? That's some twisted logic. You fire a manager when the team continually embarrasses itself with physical and mental errors.

Phegley doesn't become the backup catcher by virtue of him not being able to handle being a starter. He's not good enough right now to be a Major League catcher of any kind.

And 2014 is not serving as an audition. Garcia is the only competent outfielder on the roster. The team also needs a new first baseman, shortstop and third baseman.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:33 AM
WSI High Priest

I have not seen a game on the tube since the September call ups so the question is how is Semien looking at 3B, can he be our starting third sacker in 2014? Hope he is the real deal, he was named the Southern League MVP for 2013.